JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OK, so lets say this passes. Whats next?

How long will it take for them to implement all the requirements, get ranges on board for the shooting parts, a state office and people to 'run' this idiocy and all the other 'administrative' functions? And who or what will 'run' this at the city & county levels?

And where does the funding come from for this? Is this included in the bill?

The people responsible for this sicken me to the point of puking - and I hope for misery, pain and discontent to follow them for the rest of their days.........

Gonna be nuthin but bolt and wheel guns on Oregon shelves by this time next year. Whether or not I agree with it, I'm personally very certain it will pass one way or another so yes, these are some of the last free months, legally, in Oregon. Made another purchase just today because I think I might want it later.

Gonna be nuthin but bolt and wheel guns on Oregon shelves by this time next year. Whether or not I agree with it, I'm personally very certain it will pass one way or another so yes, these are some of the last free months, legally, in Oregon. Made another purchase just today because I think I might want it later.
might be some lever action assault rifles

I'm trying to remain optimistic. Is it going to pass? Ya'betcha. I hold out hope though that they would fairly immediately have stays and RO's on them though from the courts. I don't think we'll have to wait years and SCOTUS review. We've already seen lower courts putting stays and RO's on similar laws in other states, basically indefinately, based on the lower courts recognizing that any appeal will not be successful under strict scrutiny.

Will that happen in OR? I dunno, but any of the lower fed courts are pretty much in a position to have to acknowledge that any appeals to constiutional challenge won't be successful and grant more immediate relief. I would like to "think", anyway, that at least the fed courts will slowly come into line under the law and we see that more common when unconstitutional measures are passed within a state.

Some related CA laws are already making their way up that would also apply to OR law at the fed court level. Once that precedent is set in the CA case... OR and WA's are as good as dead, too.

To note: That doesn't mean that I haven't been becoming more mentally prepared to the possibility of leaving the state, though. :s0140:

might be some lever action assault rifles
I laughed, but this is the future of the classifieds here. Revolvers, a few shottys, a bolt or lever here and there, not much more. I used to like to window shop, but as a subject of WA state, that has become a lot less fun since last month. I now see far fewer adds for WA. Yep, there is a legal path to transfer from OR (not mags though), but most folks are not interested. And once IP 17 passes, the classifieds will get very quiet. So as an intended consequnce, I (we) will automatically interact less with other gun owners. A chilling of the gun culture, so to speak.

I think after IP17 becomes official it won't matter if it's a revolver or lever action etc. A person will have a very difficult time to buy any gun that is not a muzzle loader. Also to take possession of any pending or new silencer or nfa item that has a state transfer with it.

As someone else said (I think in this thread but it could have been in another thread) how long until the state has all the new paperwork, new background check system, new permits, new rules for denial of permits, new classroom instruction, new live fire instruction all in place? Especially if there is no funding for it? And even after it's in place, how long will the backlog be?

How long until anyone can buy any non-muzzleloader in OR legally? It could be a very long time I think (assuming the buyer is willing to go through all those hoops).

Realistically I think non-official person-to-person sales and muzzleloader sales will be the only transfers for quite a long time in OR if IP17 passes. Just my opinion.

Last Edited:
Me as well, bought 2 lowers i wasnt going to.but..... plan on building a 300blk and probably a pistol with the other.
Now gotta get 300blk mags.. i heard 556 pmags work ok but jam if not filed, so im just going to get some 300blk. plus cant have to many right?
Supersonic 300 BO works fine with standard mags. It's the subsonic loads with heavy bullets where the specialized mags have value. Make sure that whatever mags you use they are easily differentiated from 5.56 under the worst conditions like in the dark while heavily distressed. Mixing and matching between the two is a guaranteed disaster.

Other than OFF; are there any groups, organizers, or people willing to pay up and make ads to air, posts to post on the FarceBook, social media sites (TikTok? Youtube....) and so forth.. to get Oregonians attention on just how bad Measure 114 is for gun owners? Maybe throw in the fact that SCOTUS and District Courts have essentially shut down legally, mag bans, assault weapons bans, and that the Senate AWB is unenforcable if it ever comes to pass...

Or are we as a community, so disjointed. So disorganized and divided that these just won't happen? 🤔🤷‍♂️

Other than OFF; are there any groups, organizers, or people willing to pay up and make ads to air, posts to post on the FarceBook, social media sites (TikTok? Youtube....) and so forth.. to get Oregonians attention on just how bad Measure 114 is for gun owners? Maybe throw in the fact that SCOTUS and District Courts have essentially shut down legally, mag bans, assault weapons bans, and that the Senate AWB is unenforcable if it ever comes to pass...

Or are we as a community, so disjointed. So disorganized and divided that these just won't happen? 🤔🤷‍♂️
Well, if funds are limited and I had to choose between makings ads or fighting in court....not that I neccessarily agree, but there is an arguement to be made that those ads would be a waste of resources, then IP17 passes anyway and there is nothing left to pay the lawyers to fight it out.

Supersonic 300 BO works fine with standard mags. It's the subsonic loads with heavy bullets where the specialized mags have value. Make sure that whatever mags you use they are easily differentiated from 5.56 under the worst conditions like in the dark while heavily distressed. Mixing and matching between the two is a guaranteed disaster.
i have bands to mark them!! 5.56,223 and 300 blk. just

I dont do social media, this is a close as i get. i had to get off in Nov of 2015, couldnt deal with idiots and false claims.

The harder the enemies of freedom push and the more our rights are pursued and hunted, the fewer options remain until we are propelled towards civil disobedience and, eventually, uncivil disobedience. That is true of all our rights and not just our right to bear arms. I hope with all that I am, that never happens.

"One has not only a legal but a moral responsibility to obey just laws. Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws."
- Martin Luther King, Jr. from his "Letter from a Birmingham Jail," April 16, 1963

Well, if funds are limited and I had to choose between makings ads or fighting in court....not that I neccessarily agree, but there is an arguement to be made that those ads would be a waste of resources, then IP17 passes anyway and there is nothing left to pay the lawyers to fight it out.
this is why they win and we lose. I dont know you but i find it unlikely your financing a 114 lawsuit on your own w your own money. Public here in Oregon are sheep, you feed them enough info they believe you. Again, thats why they win we lose. we all dump a 100 bucks i bet we get a tv ad to run through nov..

Literally, this is like being stuck behind enemy lines! My son lives here with his mom and I cannot nor will I leave him! 2.5yrs he'll be 18 then, I'm gone!

So. From the responses thus far... wow. And we are "the minority", of gun owners in Oregon and Washington.. this is depressing to see that gun owners in Oregon seem to be mostly... apathetic, complacent, with heads firmly buried in the sand so far down that it takes a whole lot more before they even consider fighting for their rights... I know I have said this before and it is true even now... people in general.. far too comfortable, too complacent, too content with their lives to care about what they're leaving their posterity. I have a daughter, and a 2nd child on the way... I'll be discussing with the wife about seeing if we can afford to get more firearms for the kids before November rolls around.. or if we should focus on saving up to eject, regardless of what happens to my 80+ year old dad and 76 year old mom... 🤷‍♂️😶

So. From the responses thus far... wow. And we are "the minority", of gun owners in Oregon and Washington.. this is depressing to see that gun owners in Oregon seem to be mostly... apathetic, complacent, with heads firmly buried in the sand so far down that it takes a whole lot more before they even consider fighting for their rights... I know I have said this before and it is true even now... people in general.. far too comfortable, too complacent, too content with their lives to care about what they're leaving their posterity. I have a daughter, and a 2nd child on the way... I'll be discussing with the wife about seeing if we can afford to get more firearms for the kids before November rolls around.. or if we should focus on saving up to eject, regardless of what happens to my 80+ year old dad and 76 year old mom... 🤷‍♂️😶
It is concerning to me as well. Im a fighter, its what keeps me around. was put in a wheelchair 26 years ago, been fighting the whole time. Dont get me started on how many times i been told No, or you cant do this or that. F them. i fought on.. Im always in for a good fight. It took me 26 yrs to figure out how to get myself back shooting again and now that i am. I aint giving it up because some church pastor has it burr up his arse and the backing of liberal left and sheeple here. My daughter and my son are here w my 3 grand children. i aint going anywhere. but to just let it happen. No i cant do that

A person will have a very difficult time to buy any gun that is not a muzzle loader.

How long until anyone can buy any non-muzzleloader in OR legally?

Realistically I think non-official person-to-person sales..
I imagine that is their exact intent. Pass a law, but have no way to fullfill it anyway, thereby banning any new gun sales in the state without actually openly disobeying the 2A. A rose by any other name...

Pretty much what Kalifederation did with their micro-stamping law. No newer model guns have been allowed in their country for years now since it's not yet possible for mfg's to meet the law requirement. Some mfg's having pulled out completely and stopped selling ANY of their firearms to residents there.

It's not their fault if mfg's can't create new futureworld dreamscape technologies to meet their requirements, right? 😜

I think you are right though. If it passes, and it's impossible to fulfill the requirements for purchase... it wasn't all that long ago and still fresh in everyones minds that private sales/purchases didn't require a thing and "may" likely be re-adopted by many. If the law agrees or not.

Much like the great success that prohibition was.:s0140:

Make the process impossible/illegal, all you do is push a large chunk of otherwise law abiding citizens into committing criminal acts.

this is why they win and we lose. I dont know you but i find it unlikely your financing a 114 lawsuit on your own w your own money. Public here in Oregon are sheep, you feed them enough info they believe you. Again, thats why they win we lose. we all dump a 100 bucks i bet we get a tv ad to run through nov..
Nope, not funding anything on my own. But I am in way over $100 in donations this year.

Yeah, like I said, an argument to be made. As you described, I doubt a tv ad at 2am or a blurb on AM radio is going to do much to change hearts and minds. Not saying I like it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top