Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Are there immediate family exemptions for 594 WA?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by davidnssbm, Jul 22, 2015.

1. davidnssbm

davidnssbm Seattle Member

Dude at my local range said heard something about this but couldn't explain it to me. Is this true?

2. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

If it's a bona fide gift, yes.
    All legal.

Family business stays in the family as far as I'm concerned

Dyjital likes this.
  3. davidnssbm

davidnssbm Seattle Member

found it. But I'm confused it means everything BEFORE the (4) or AFTER.

RCW 9.41.113

(4) This section does not apply to:
    (a) A transfer between immediate family members, which for this subsection shall be limited to spouses, domestic partners, parents, children, siblings, grandparents, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, first cousins, aunts, and uncles, that is a bona fide gift;

transfers:
    http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  4. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

The exceptions to 594 start with section a, so after

5. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

Transfers between immediate family members only applies to "bona fide gifts",

In addition transfers to spouses/domestic partners are legal only if:

"the temporary transfer occurs, and the firearm is kept at all times, at an established shooting range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which such range is located;"

Notice Public Property such as DNR lands nor Private Property listed.

"the temporary transfer occurs and the transferee's possession of the firearm is exclusively at a lawful organized competition involving the use of a firearm, or while participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group that uses firearms as a part of the performance;"

"to a person who is under eighteen years of age for lawful hunting, sporting, or educational purposes while under the direct supervision and control of a responsible adult who is not prohibited from possessing firearms;"

"while hunting if the hunting is legal in all places where the person to whom the firearm is transferred possesses the firearm and the person to whom the firearm is transferred has completed all training and holds all licenses or permits required for such hunting, provided that any temporary transfer allowed by this subsection is permitted only if the person to whom the firearm is transferred is not prohibited from possessing firearms under state or federal law"

Or you could just do what I do and ignore this stupid thing!

Hayshaker, Martini_Up and slimer13 like this.
  6. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

:s0133:

7. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

I want to give my grandson most of my guns as I'm getting old and want to keep them in the family. I'm in Or and he's in Wa . I don't think that I should have to go thru all the BS just to pass them on. Still have time to see how this plays out.

8. svxr8dr

svxr8dr Vancouver, WA OathKeeper #004404

I think setting up a Gun Trust might be your best course of action.

IronMonster likes this.