JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've been taking part in living history for 40+ years now and I generally focus on the 1760-1810 era. I don't generally attend a lot of public events but go on solo treks into the wilderness on occasion and enjoy BP hunting while maintaining a period correct aesthetic. I was curious if there are any others like me in this group that might be local to the Portland/Salem area? Kind of tired of going solo all the time, it would be great to find some others who share the same interest.

I've been taking part in living history for 40+ years now and I generally focus on the 1760-1810 era. I don't generally attend a lot of public events but go on solo treks into the wilderness on occasion and enjoy BP hunting while maintaining a period correct aesthetic. I was curious if there are any others like me in this group that might be local to the Portland/Salem area? Kind of tired of going solo all the time, it would be great to find some others who share the same interest.
Have you met @Andy54Hawken ? :D He's the local Muzzle Stuffer Extraordinaire.

Have you met @Andy54Hawken ? :D He's the local Muzzle Stuffer Extraordinaire.
I've known Andy for years, but his crowd is generally not my crowd. I am not into the "buckskinner" type of thing. What they do is all good fun I'm sure but I am far more into historical accuracy so that "rendezvous" scene and I don't mesh well.

I've known Andy for years, but his crowd is generally not my crowd. I am not into the "buckskinner" type of thing. What they do is all good fun I'm sure but I am far more into historical accuracy so that "rendezvous" scene and I don't mesh well.
I guess, huh? I didn't even bother to look at your "Join" date. :oops:

Too bad Craigslist personal ads are no longer active -- it was a great place to find niche folk.
I met a few women who really enjoyed going snow camping.
edit to add:
I'm of no help otherwise. Tho' that's a beautiful rifle and horn in your avatar.

I am not into the "buckskinner" type of thing. What they do is all good fun I'm sure but I am far more into historical accuracy

Where do we know each other from...?
I ask....'cause I have always been interested in doing all things muzzle loading related the way it was done historically....
I'm confused...'cause this aspect of me...ain't new...so if you know me...you would know my love of history.

To lump me in with the folks that just go to rendezvous to get all rowdy and wear plastic beads on their war shirts...while using a muzzle loader that ain't anything at all historic....is wrong.

And while some folks do go to rendezvous like the above...I do not...in fact one reason why I started my display of antique muzzle loaders and related fur trade items is to give a better historical picture of just what was going on.

I have even done my display and given talks at the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale Wy.
Where by the way they had to be Museum Curator approved.....

I don't mean to sound argumentative here...
I just don't like blanket statements...or being tossed into one.
Andy

Last Edited:
226zy6.jpg

Where do we know each other from...?
I ask....'cause I have always been interested in doing all things muzzle loading related the way it was done historically....
I'm confused...'cause this aspect of me...ain't new...so if you know me...you would know my love of history.

To lump me in with the folks that just go to rendezvous to get all rowdy and wear plastic beads on their war shirts...while using a muzzle loader that ain't anything at all historic....is wrong.

And while some folks do go to rendezvous like the above...I do not...in fact one reason why I started my display of antique muzzle loaders and related fur trade items is to give a better historical picture of just what was going on.

I have even done my display and given talks at the Museum of the Mountain Man in Pinedale Wy.
Where by the way they had to be Museum Curator approved.....

I don't mean to sound argumentative here...
I just don't like blanket statements...or being tossed into one.
Andy
No need to get your dander up. The buckskinning crowd is about as accurate as the SCA is, you and I both know it. I have been off and on associated with several of the clubs here in the valley since the early 1990's and they all are the same. Perhaps a handful of people who actually know there history and strive to put together an accurate kit, but the rest are generally just farbs that are more into their funny "mountain names" and drinking from the hoof than they are about accurately depicting history. They wear chrome tan leather outfits and sit in their folding lawn chairs in "primitive camp", pretending that the mexican blanket from walmart thrown over the coleman cooler will somehow hide it. They put up their over painted teepee's and sit around the fire talking about how many times they've seen Chuck Heston's "The Mountain Men" while they obsess about whether they hit the long gong on the shooting trail.

Buckskinning has improved somewhat in the last few years, but it's still a train wreck for the most part, especially when you run into people like this. lol

bearfarb.jpg

No need to get your dander up. The buckskinning crowd is about as accurate as the SCA is, you and I both know it. I have been off and on associated with several of the clubs here in the valley since the early 1990's and they all are the same. Perhaps a handful of people who actually know there history and strive to put together an accurate kit, but the rest are generally just farbs that are more into their funny "mountain names" and drinking from the hoof than they are about accurately depicting history. They wear chrome tan leather outfits and sit in their folding lawn chairs in "primitive camp", pretending that the mexican blanket from walmart thrown over the coleman cooler will somehow hide it. They put up their over painted teepee's and sit around the fire talking about how many times they've seen Chuck Heston's "The Mountain Men" while they obsess about whether they hit the long gong on the shooting trail.

Buckskinning has improved somewhat in the last few years, but it's still a train wreck for the most part, especially when you run into people like this. lol

View attachment 1324955
A whole lot of "They" there...and not any Andy.
Again...I go to rendezvous...and that ain't what I do or how I do things.

And while I won't deny that what you say can be seen....
I get my dander up when folks lump me into the above.

So again...I say that if you do actually know me...you would know that I ain't like the above.
Andy

In any event...
Seems like I can't help you...so good luck with your search.

Last Edited:
Me, I'm eagerly awaiting the appearance of his 18th century version of a cell-phone with GPS, useful in the extreme when 'personally-mislocated'* in the wilds of the PNW.

Anyhow, coming onto this site and p*ssing in the hat of one of our best-loved members is not the way make friends and influence people, but I guess that's just what loners do. Hereabouts, with very few exceptions, we try and see the other guy's POV, whether or not it bears comparison with our own expectations or not.

* 'personally-mislocated' = lost.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads