JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I don't want to hear any whining about the Light Rifle Cartridge (make no mistake about it, it exceeds the .357 Magnum in chamber pressure) and can penetrate a healthy 19" with Federal 110-grain Soft Points in 10% ordnance gel.

It worked so well that gun guru Jim Cirillo of the NYPD "Stakeout Squad" relied upon the M1 shooting Winchester-Western 110-grain Hollow Soft Points for 100% one-shot stops each and every time he squeezed the trigger. Dead perp, each and every time.

I personally favor the lightweight and hard-hitting M1 in either the 110-grain JSP or the 85-grain Lehigh Underwood loads.

The little Carbine is downright nasty in CQB encounters and, in most cases, result in DRT bad guys.

Opinions? Stories?

They are good rifles and I owned a few in the past. They are fun to shoot at steel targets within 200 yards.

Especially considering their current prices I wouldn't buy one for practical self defense purposes. There are now better options for short range engagements than the M1, with more reliable magazines, optics options, shorter OAL, and threaded muzzles for suppression. The M1 can be modified but destroying its historic significance would be unfortunate.

Believe it, or not, you can buy one of the modern "reproductions" (A/O and Inland) for less than a 70+year old USGI rifle. I have heard all the "horror stories" about how they are "unreliable" and are "jam-o-matics". This is just not true. The source of the problems is the cheap magazines from both companies. If you obtain some good 30-round magazines from trusted sources and some older USGI magazines, they will shoot even better groups than some of the USGI M1 Carbines.

I love the little M1 Carbine. 5.4 pounds of "hell on wheels" can turn most men into lups of clay at a moment's notice. God help me, I love it so!

I'm a fan. I love the history. Several years ago I went for a new model Inland. It's been a pleasure with zero issues. No problem with Korean mags, the one that came with or originals purchased from Oregon Arms Collectors shows. I would like an original, maybe, some day. The originals just feel different somehow.

Dad had both an Inland and a Universal I used both a LOT as a kid hunting Nutri and squirrels.

I currently have an Inland that is one of the mid 1980's Korean Armory returns with a really nice Stock from Numrich. And while I like the 110 grain round nose. I find that the Sierra 125gr FN HP (a bullet made for the 30-30) works very very well. Especially as a soft body self defense round. At under 150 yards the round opens up almost as well as it does when fired from a 30-30. This same load from my Ruger Blackhawk in 30 Carbine is wicked nasty for a pistol round. Close to 1700fps

Its my go to household defense rifle. I keep 450 rounds in 15rd magazines handy in bandoliers and a small pouch.

The examples of the rifle I have used over the years with 15rd GI surplus magazines were as reliable as any semi auto handgun I have owned or fired and better then many.

And as an added bonus that fat little stock makes a great baseball bat like club when less then lethal force is called for.

MEMEMEMEMEEEEEE!!! Gotta love the carbine for close personal work.. light, handy and doesnt kick much or deafen one, prefer it over a pistol-caliber carbine. Not as scary to the casual observer who might freak out at the sight of a more modern "assault rifle". They arent for long shots but work well for whitetails and the small deer in parts of N. Cali. Also works for human targets better than a pistol altho not as easy to carry or conceal. Don't own one presently but would spring for the "right one" and a mess o' mags even tho I'm engaged in thinning the herd... Just like 'em even tho the Stoner rifles are almost as handy and distinctly more powerful.

Last Edited:
Me too!!!

My wife owned an M1 original that had been sporterized. I'd have to ask here where it came from, but it came with her when we met. :D

I shot blacktail with it... nice little rifle for small deer or even muleys at close range.

Later I tried to use it for USPSA club informal 100yd 3-gun competition. Hits at 100yds were pretty easy with the 4x scope, but I couldn't keep it running for more than 2-4 shots. Maybe it was the mags, IDK.

Anyway, we passed it down to my wife's son. Keeping it in the family.

Here is a pic from long ago (dark beard)... you can't see the M1 very well, but the bird's eye maple was looking good:

Photos&Scans 444.jpg

We got some. Extended nuclear family and some close friends. Some bought theirs back in about 1963 for $25 bucks. Still have them. Be very careful considering getting into the fun and madness of USGI M1 Carbine ownership. Once you go through that gateway understand there is no hope.

Hopeless fun and madness. Grins appear when eyeballing those tall case stacks of factory bulk ammo. Scores of mags. Yep. Scores of spare parts. Fifteen, (15) special USGI and after market tools and gages. Ten, (10) expensive shop manuals and collector books. Time of year to start shooting again.

The USGI M1 Carbine is an excellent light rifle choice for kids 12 to 88. The only problem is that the Carbines are now worth more than a good home done knowledgeable excellent AR15 build. We are definitely locked into the M1 Carbine. It would be expensive to change platforms. No change soon.

Last Edited:
The M1 Carbine was the first real firearm I touched as a child so I imprinted and bonded with it. My dad got one of the 1963 $20 DCM sale M1 Carbines. He kept it in a USGI canvas case in a closet. I would take it out and fondle it when I was a kid. He still owns it and currently keeps it in my gun safe.

Several years ago I bought two M1 Carbines from the CMP and started my collection. Currently I own 12 USGI M1 Carbines from various manufacturers and 2 USGI M1A1 Inland paratrooper carbines. Here are some of them:

toJo1AG.jpg
QHMC

5YkLRCi.jpg
Saginaw S'G'

bIUWYMn.jpg
Three of my four IBMs

yoVCLok.jpg
Standard Products

VTADJ0b.jpg
First and second run M1A1 paratroopers

Used from World War II
I73Py3i.jpg

through the Korean War
rr5jlh.jpg
ehgnra.jpg

and the Vietnam War
33kpriu.jpg

they are full of history and are also some of the most fun to shoot firearms available.

I truly believe that the .30 Carbine is one of the most underrated home defense cartridges that was born a "war-baby". Gun Tests gave both the Auto Ordnance and Inland offerings a grade of A-. People deride them on a daily basis, but I know better.

These rifles are not only accurate but after a 300-round "break-in" period and with decent magazines, they shoot well enough to be pressed into both home defense as well as "light hunting" duties. I know that they tend to shoot just like the original run, but are not "collectible". I buy a rifle to shoot, not to talk about over coffee. These are tools, not showpieces.

Both the Auto Ordnance and Inland rifles are built to be shot and enjoyed as a replica of the originals... without the hefty price tag of either the James River Armory "Rockola" or the Fulton Armory replicas. These cost nearly twice as much and are great... if you can afford them.

The M1 Carbine has a substantial following, and it will likely remain so for many years to come.

Fair winds and following seas!

Last Edited:
I have a few guns I have sold that I dearly wish I had back. At least one of these is high on the list. I have been a PCC fan since before they were even known. The little M-1 is what started this. When the rifles and surplus ammo were so damn cheap it was a lot of fun. I heard a LOT of bad mouthing of them from Vet's who used them in war. Not for them not working but for them not killing. That was I am sure the ammo. With the better ammo they are a wicked good defense weapon.

But, but, but, what about the Chinese troops in the Korean war, where they wouldn't even penetrate their heavy winter coats??

Yes, I know that's a myth. I've heard them all over the years: inaccurate, unreliable, under-powered, etc.. Someone told me decades ago that the old carbine was either loved or hated, not much middle ground. A Korean war vet (friend's dad), said he liked the one he used but some of them "jammed up all the time".

I bought mine at a garage sale in the late 80's, for $120. It's an Underwood. I've shot thousands of rounds through it. I'd never sell it.

I don't know how to break it to the "naysayers" but when the M1 Carbine is loaded with Soft Points, W-W Hollow Soft Points or Lehigh "Extreme Penetrator" ammunition, the Carbine is one hell of a "killing machine". (It sure beats the hell out of the 9mm Parabellum and even the .357 S&W Magnum).

Yeah, the "War Baby" can be one mean SOB by the person that wields it.

Here's a high-speed slow-motion video of Federal 110gr Power-Shok RNSP M1 Carbine ammo hitting ballistic gel.

Hornady sells 30 M1 Carbine ammo from their Critical Defense line of ammo.

Underwood .30 Carbine Xtreme Cavitator

Last Edited:
At the end of those videos these a link to the Underwood 85-grain "Extreme Cavitator" load. Believe me when I tell you that it is meaner than 700 hells! (Watch the video and judge for yourself).