Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Are there any free/cheap use ranges?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by eternalphoenix64, Feb 3, 2013.

1. eternalphoenix64

eternalphoenix64 Washougal, WA Member

I live around Washougal and was looking for places that I could take both rifles and pistols to that was either extremely cheap (maybe $5 a visit) or free. I used to go to one in Colorado that was maintained by volunteers in a gun club on property that had been donated to them, and I was hoping that something similar had happened somewhere around here. Maybe an hour or two max drive? I'm wanting an actual range with distances marked to help me learn my bullet drops at those ranges.

2. billstaf

billstaf Portland, Oregon Active Member

Try this link: Clark County Gun Club, Inc. at English Pit

$16.50 per day for all day. Located in east Vancouver on 192nd Ave.

Cheapest close-in place I've found to shoot. There is a calendar right on the home page showing you if any of the ranges are closed for police training days. (Usually they are all open).

3. eternalphoenix64

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid things like English Pit, in my book that is just WAY too expensive for a little entertainment/training.

4. Muddslinger12

Muddslinger12 Vancouver Active Member

What you might wanna consider is investing in one of those laser measuring tools and maybe your own target stand (and a buddy would prob help too) so you can accurately place your targets. Then you could just find some nice spots up on larch mt or in the mts somewhere safe and practice for the cost of fuel and ammo anytime.

5. eternalphoenix64

That's been my other consideration lately. I've seen some "probably will work" laser range finders for as low as $100 new

6. Muddslinger12

Muddslinger12 Vancouver Active Member

Darn didnt realize there so spendy well another option maybe those wheel things they used to measure property with might find one on Craigslist. No need for batterys! And you could do it with one person instead of two!

7. pitrow

pitrow Cornelius/Newberg New Member

Back when I was a starving college student and spent my free time blowing off rounds at the range I used a ball of twine. Measured off every 5 feet up to 25, then every 25 after that, and put a sticker on it with the measurement. Then at the range I'd stick a tent stake in the ground and stick the twine on it and measure out what I needed. Simple, cheap and reusable.

8. eternalphoenix64

As an engineering student.... why in the (insert your choice word) didn't I think of that? Thanks!

pitrow and (deleted member) like this.
  9. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

From my experience it's because you're an engineer. :bluelaugh::p

10. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

collage educated (insert your choice word) :bluelaugh:

11. eternalphoenix64

From Amboy, huh? I wonder if you know a peer of mine that just started at OSU this year.

12. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good heavens can you guys step a yard? Can you count?

Sirmohawk, pitrow, bcdon and 5 others like this.
  13. injun51

injun51 ON THE FRINGE New Member

Harbor freight has a pretty accurate wheel measure for under $15 bucks. This is what I use and it works great.

PinoyBoy and (deleted member) like this.
  14. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

probably not,you know Amboy is a pretty big town :biglaugh:

15. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

soneday when you become an engineer, you will design things you have never seen and know nothing about. when someone els tells you it will be ok and they will send you "as builts", just go with it.

xd45acp and (deleted member) like this.