JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After the company I was working for folded. I was left lacking some skills needed for a new job. I qualified for a retraining program and decided to go back to school. Yesterday was first day of classes, man its been a long time since I was in school. The classes were at max capacity. I met others that are retraining and Im wondering if there are any forum members going thrue retraining.

When my job disappeared 3 years ago, I decided to go back to school as well. Being a single dad with custody has made it harder, so I have taken a reduced credit load every quarter to balance out raising my 4yr old son, school and my scrap business.

After being laid off 2x in 2009, I was given the opportunity to retrain. I decided to get my AAS in Process Technology (Refinery/Wastewater/Sustainable Energy). I have been at it since Spring 2010 with 19+ credits per quarter. I was apprehensive about returning to school after being away for 15+ years but am able to keep up a cumulative 3.64GPA. I am actually having a great time learning (but chomping at the bit to get back to work...) Good luck in your studies!

This is my second time around with 124 credits already and needing only 59 credits for my AAS degree. I hoping to double degree if I play my cards right. thanks for the support.

After high school I went to Oregon State and received a bachelor in business, but with the job market I decided to just get another bachelor but in food science. I'm hoping in two years and with my degrees it will be easier to find a good career not just another job.

I'm curious, are any of you guys in the Training Benefits or Commissioner Approved training programs? And if so what do you think they are well run?

Im enrolled up here at WWU as a Sophomore this year. I wanted to make sure I got all my schooling done at once. I know what you mean about classes, I finally had enough credits to be able to register for the classes I wanted. I feel sorry for the Freshmen who dont have enough credits to get higher priority on classes they NEED

Not sure about the other guys, but I do have a job and pay for school out of my pocket. Jobs are fine, but get old real quick. I would rather have a great career in something I'm interested in.

Wired tactical,
I know what you mean. Even as a senior I had trouble getting into the classes I needed because the super seniors or higher would sign up for classes first because of priority. Sometimes the classes at Oregon State for 400 level would only have one class thats has a max capacity of 30 or so students. Granted it would be one of several different classes you could take for a particular requirement. ALso having to change your schedule at the last minute because all the spots in the time slot are filled really bugs. Now, that I'm going back for another degree, I get first dibs on classes because I'm considered a post-bacc student.

I went to Oregon State for a year when I graduated high school in 99, then I took time off to help my family while my dad spent a long time in the hospital. Then we had my son and I was working during the day with overtime and taking classes at night at Lane. Came back to OSU Spring 0f 07 and trying to finish up my degree once and for all with some bumps in the road along the way. Currently taking a full load of onloine classes at MHCC so I can pay off OSU so I can take classes again this fall. Have to re-take a chem class that is only offered during the fall.

Construction Engineering Management major here and also going for a minor in business. Wife is also a full time student.

I went back in 02 and got my AA/S in Criminal Justice, and then transferred Evergreen (Pothead U) got my Bachelors. I would say earned my Bachelors but I quickly found that Evergeen State College is a glorified degree mill.

My only advice if your going to college is be very careful of community colleges that hard sell some of the AA degrees. I have friends who were sucked into IT not realizing that the good jobs are gone and low paying tech assist jobs are whats left to compete for. Cjus isn't bad but most likely you'll get geared to the adult cage kicking industry which is fine but if you go in buying the hard sell about going into CSI careers you'll be disappointed. Your better off just taking the biology, chemistry, and psych courses and avoiding Cjus altogether.

Stay far away from anything resembling a liberal arts college if your going for your bachelors. For all their claims about teaching critical thinking, all the they really do is train people to be great bullbubblegumters so they can go out and become middle management suckups, or lazy state employees.

Im currently a senior at Central Washington University. Planning to be graduated and out in June. Trying to enjoy my remaining time as a college student before the 'real world' calls my name

I'm in my second term at PSU getting my second bachelor's degree. The first was in History (woo-hoo, that was a clever idea). This time I'm majoring in Psychology so I can get into the Master of Social Work program next year with the eventual career plan of being a consultant working with preschool children with behavioral issues. I've been working with young children for ten years so I figured it was time to get a degree to go with it and move up the food chain.

Going to school as a "grown up" really is different than when I did it twenty years ago. It's a lot easier in some ways, but I have to budget my time a lot more carefully these days to keep up with everything.

I'm in HOPEFULLY my last term of college before graduating. I've been job searching on and off every couple of weeks and it is hard to get a job. I've applied at hundreds of places and rarely get calls back.

I'm currently enrolled at LBCC with plans to got to Corban University next year, after that I need to find a place to get a Maters in Social Work so i can get started helping fellow vets at the VA

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top