JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just BTT'd one of my ads last night after 7 days (1 week where I come from) and look today and at least 90% of the ads that are about to bump me to the 2nd page have the OP bumping his ad in much less than a week. In at least one the OP bumped an ad that he placed earlier today. Are the new rules the old rules now? Are we back to bump whenever you like? Is there any consequence to non compliance if that is not the case and the rule *IS* once a week? I don't see any thread locks or reprimands but I didn't check every ad.

I have noticed this as well. It seems that many people bump their ads way more than once a week and get away with it. It's not OTHER people posting in the ads either, it's the OP.

You bring up an interesting point Jafo. I believe that the OP can post again if he adds information, changes the price, or responds to a post. Obviously there are illegitimate ways of using this to BTT your ad before you should, but I haven't seen TOO much abuse.

I looked at all of the items in the first page of the Rifles classifieds and think that most of them were following the bump rules as I understand them. I only found one that was a blatent TTT violation. It was on the same day as the OP.

Reprimands come from the admins privately. Too many reprimands result in banning.

Hopefully one of the admins will chime in and correct me if needed...

You bring up an interesting point Jafo. I believe that the OP can post again if he adds information, changes the price, or responds to a post. Obviously there are illegitimate ways of using this to BTT your ad before you should, but I haven't seen TOO much abuse.

I'm thinking if the question is one others may be interested in the answer to also it would make the most sense to edit the original ad to reflect that answer. If someone asks a question that others don't need to see the answer to then a PM or email would probably be best. I thought it was mentioned in the rules but I only paid most attention to the one week part.

I looked at all of the items in the first page of the Rifles classifieds and think that most of them were following the bump rules as I understand them. I only found one that was a blatent TTT violation. It was on the same day as the OP.

I saw the opposite looking at the same ads. I only saw a couple that were following the rules as I know them. :s0092:

Reprimands come from the admins privately. Too many reprimands result in banning.

Hopefully one of the admins will chime in and correct me if needed...

I can understand that and am not against it. However, a public notification would likely help not only the offender but also those who have yet to offend.

I see this alot too, and was gonna ask something but always lost interest before doing so. I sometimes PM the everyday bumper to tell him to read the rules. Mods, how do we go about resolving this, just PM one of you when we see this happening?

I've been here a while and to be honest - never knew about this rule. In fact, I bumped something today (which won't happen again now that I know the rule) simply because in one day it was on the second page from all the other frequent bumpage.

Maybe it should be in bold at the top of the classifieds

Interesting point... I guess I too had noticed it in passing but frankly didn't give it much thought. You're absolutely correct though, blatant TTT, BTT, etc. posts should be called when seen.

Perhaps though, now that the site has grown in membership and content the "once per week" rule needs to be revisited?

Maybe change it to the OP is allowed a self-bump post once every three or four days based on the date and time of the most recent post in their thread? (IOW no bumping allowed for three or four days if the thread has been posted to and bumped already by someone OTHER than the OP).

OR! If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The classifieds have rule reminders as the first posts. We are supposed to report violators to the mods. Waiting for the mods to police the ads, puts alot on them, methinks.

Maybe need more mods as this place is growing. There's some members who aren't mods that are on here a lot browsing around. Maybe they should become mods since they are here so much. How is a mod chosen anyway? Just a thought.

Maybe the top dawg here can look at some of the trade ratings and post counts to choose a few more. Maybe also somewhat confine each mod to police certain areas, kind of like a job duty. Example, one mod for handgun classifieds, one for rifle classifieds, but don't restrict them. (It's alright to help someone in another work area when you have the free time.)

Just report it, and let the mods take care of it. When I find one, I report it immediately (report button), and it gets taken care of, and the person gets fair warning.

Hey Guys!

Thanks for your concerns about the abuse of BTT, TTT, Bumps etc. For the last several months, I've taken this on as a mission to keep these under control. But with huge volume of new and existing classifieds it is an overwhelming task at best. What you don't see is the number of warnings and infractions given to those abusing or being ignorant of the BTT policy. However, the abuse or ignorance of the BTT is like a fly infestation and I'm only scratching the surface.

You'll notice a few months ago I got so tired of it that I finally posted two sticky notes in the Handgun, Rifle/Shotgun and Parts/Accessories sections (the most active), one teaching people how to close a thread/ad and the other directed to newer members who are not closing threads/ads and constantly bumping. They've seem to help, somewhat.

The best advise I can tell you is to report posts where you see this happening cuz I and the mods cannot see them all!

I always thought it should be like the AR15.com EE.

No bumping the thread until 72hours have passed since the last post.

To answer questions, one must edit the original post.

If one bumps their ad too soon, then the ad is locked.

I don't like the answer thing, since the question-asker will no long receive emails that their question was answered. I think the xHours since last post in the thread is a good idea though.

I see this alot too, and was gonna ask something but always lost interest before doing so. I sometimes PM the everyday bumper to tell him to read the rules. Mods, how do we go about resolving this, just PM one of you when we see this happening?

It seems to me you should report the post and note the issue so the mod can deal with it if he feels its warranted. Its the triangle in the lower left of the post box.

My 2 cents........,

Seems to me that there are many on this site that are not using it for the purpose for which it was created. Rather it is being used as a Craigs List or Outdoor Trader (no offence intented, both are fine venues) to buy and sell their wares.

The classifies should be limited to 1 ad per month, per member. One (1) edit allowed to say SOLD. Get it right the first time & use words like 'firm' or 'offers', to address pricing. No 'bumping' allowed. All Replies are made directly to the ad member's personal e-mail address (not the site). And the ad gets deleated after 30 days.

If the ads section is here as a convience to members, and not as a business venue, then 1 ad a month is enough.

for what it's worth.
Frog.

Last Edited:
Maybe need more mods as this place is growing. There's some members who aren't mods that are on here a lot browsing around. Maybe they should become mods since they are here so much. How is a mod chosen anyway? Just a thought.

Maybe the top dawg here can look at some of the trade ratings and post counts to choose a few more. Maybe also somewhat confine each mod to police certain areas, kind of like a job duty. Example, one mod for handgun classifieds, one for rifle classifieds, but don't restrict them. (It's alright to help someone in another work area when you have the free time.)

What is this... a "conspiracy"?? :s0131: :D

This seems counterproductive as adding more rules to a fairly simple policy is like adding more gun laws. As it is its straightforward and should be simple to follow and is not so different from other sites. The other issue is if you blow it away after 30 days you defeat one of the goals which is to allow folks to use this as a way to determine the value of their guns.

My 2 cents........,

Seems to me that there are many on this site that are not using it for the purpose for which it was created. Rather it is being used as a Craigs List or Outdoor Trader (no offence intented, both are fine venues) to buy and sell their wares.

The classifies should be limited to 1 ad per month, per member. One (1) edit allowed to say SOLD. Get it right the first time & use words like 'firm' or 'offers', to address pricing. No 'bumping' allowed. All Replies are made directly to the ad member's personal e-mail address (not the site). And the ad gets deleated after 30 days.

If the ads section is here as a convience to members, and not as a business venue, then 1 ad a month is enough.

for what it's worth.
Frog.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews