JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just an aside: Make sure everyone that you remember that PMs are NOT actually private from everyone. The DB admin of the website can look at any PM he wants.

If the servers were taken by the government, they government could look at your PMs with no difficulty. Assuming the site is backed up regularly, anything you delete is subject to the same kind of attacks.

Just an aside: Make sure everyone that you remember that PMs are NOT actually private from everyone. The DB admin of the website can look at any PM he wants.

If the servers were taken by the government, they government could look at your PMs with no difficulty. Assuming the site is backed up regularly, anything you delete is subject to the same kind of attacks.

Well the same goes for any sort of electronic transmission, it can be intercepted, decrypted and stored. Not really something I'd worry about though..... :s0131:

Lately they say buy a .380 Keltec!

Then they say buy a 9mm Keltec!

They they scream buy a Kahr you can't afford because you will be happier in the long run!

They they laugh at me?

Yes I am quite confused!

They also tell me to go to the range and I can do work next week!
I like the range! hmm noon range trip? Sometimes i listen to he voices!

Last Edited:
Well the same goes for any sort of electronic transmission, it can be intercepted, decrypted and stored. Not really something I'd worry about though..... :s0131:

Not necessarily true. I frequently (as do you) make electronic transmissions that are not reasonably readable, since they are encrypted properly.

Proper encryption algorithms are unbreakable in any reasonable amount of time.

In this case however, the database is unencrypted (as are the transmissions), and anyone with access to the database can see them.

I give this as a warning, like all those people who plan illegal things via email... Basically, when you write a PM, make sure to realize that someone could/is reading it.

Not necessarily true. I frequently (as do you) make electronic transmissions that are not reasonably readable, since they are encrypted properly.

Proper encryption algorithms are unbreakable in any reasonable amount of time.

In this case however, the database is unencrypted (as are the transmissions), and anyone with access to the database can see them.

I give this as a warning, like all those people who plan illegal things via email... Basically, when you write a PM, make sure to realize that someone could/is reading it.

True, transmissions are harder to read than databases, but if its the .gov we are speaking of, they have the resources.

True, transmissions are harder to read than databases, but if its the .gov we are speaking of, they have the resources.

Not true. There are some encryption algorithms that no matter how much resources the government throws at decryption, they can't be broken in a reasonable amount of time to act on the data (years) or to book as "evidence" to be used against you some day. It's more likely that the government will manufacture evidence, as it and its enablers do on a regular basis.

Read some articles by encryption experts such as Bruce Schneier. Even better, study encryption algorithms or go talk to a good Computer Science student.

And if you really want to feel secure when I was in my 400 level networking class we learned how to break into virtually any wireless network in about 200 seconds. Now I am not skilled but still belive I can probally get on basically any network in about 30 minutes.

Packet sniffing software is scary( and free )

Steven

And if you really want to feel secure when I was in my 400 level networking class we learned how to break into virtually any wireless network in about 200 seconds. Now I am not skilled but still belive I can probally get on basically any network in about 30 minutes.

Steven

Great now you let the cat out of the bag. I just got all of my family that comes to me for help calmed down about this.

I just ask "what the heck do you have that someone would waste their time for?" Its not always a catch all, but for most it is.

Steven

I've listened in on VoIP phone conversations before -- both sides, no issues at all... scary!

Disclaimer: they were calls inside our company used for a demonstration of security, so no laws were broken.

Most people that are swift enough to intercept electronic communications are swift enough to break the encryption also. Aircrack is a wonderful thing :s0155:

I live by the rule, never assume anything you do on the net is private.

Well, WPA/WEP are very poor encryption methods, so your wireless connection isn't anything close to reasonably secure. However, a PGP conversation with an appropriate sized key-set (as well as SSL) are not reasonably crackable by anyone.

The NSA MAAAY be the exception, but a 512bit key would take thousands of years, even with thousands of super computers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top