Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

are private messages really private

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by dilleybilly, Apr 28, 2009.

1. dilleybilly

dilleybilly Forest Grove Member

can somebody explain why my private messages are being edited and why ?

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

um, what do you mean edited?

They are private, but there is a language filter....

3. coctailer

coctailer Portland, OR/Hastings, MI/Vancouver,WA I run with scissors.

Are you cussing someone out?:laugh::laugh:

4. PhysicsGuy

If you see "bubblegum", that's normal, its the language filter.

5. MacBookProAR

MacBookProAR Stayton Member

I'm guessing that he isn't talking about the language filter. I have heard of this too. Things being "re-worded" or deals somewhat changing. The emails look correct, but the PM's on the system look different.

6. dilleybilly

dilleybilly Forest Grove Member

sorry thought someone was in my system

7. Keane

Keane Hillsboro, OR Active Member

Just an aside: Make sure everyone that you remember that PMs are NOT actually private from everyone. The DB admin of the website can look at any PM he wants.

If the servers were taken by the government, they government could look at your PMs with no difficulty. Assuming the site is backed up regularly, anything you delete is subject to the same kind of attacks.

8. PhysicsGuy

Well the same goes for any sort of electronic transmission, it can be intercepted, decrypted and stored. Not really something I'd worry about though..... :paranoid:

9. aquariumjunky

aquariumjunky Albany, Oregon Active Member

It's not the privacy of PM's I am worried about it is the voices in my head!

10. PhysicsGuy

:rofl1:

Should I even ask what they tell you?

11. aquariumjunky

Lately they say buy a .380 Keltec!

Then they say buy a 9mm Keltec!

They they scream buy a Kahr you can't afford because you will be happier in the long run!

They they laugh at me?

Yes I am quite confused!

They also tell me to go to the range and I can do work next week!
    I like the range! hmm noon range trip? Sometimes i listen to he voices!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  12. Keane

Not necessarily true. I frequently (as do you) make electronic transmissions that are not reasonably readable, since they are encrypted properly.

Proper encryption algorithms are unbreakable in any reasonable amount of time.

In this case however, the database is unencrypted (as are the transmissions), and anyone with access to the database can see them.

I give this as a warning, like all those people who plan illegal things via email... Basically, when you write a PM, make sure to realize that someone could/is reading it.

13. PhysicsGuy

True, transmissions are harder to read than databases, but if its the .gov we are speaking of, they have the resources.

14. ZombieAssassin

ZombieAssassin Oregon Member

Not true. There are some encryption algorithms that no matter how much resources the government throws at decryption, they can't be broken in a reasonable amount of time to act on the data (years) or to book as "evidence" to be used against you some day. It's more likely that the government will manufacture evidence, as it and its enablers do on a regular basis.

Read some articles by encryption experts such as Bruce Schneier. Even better, study encryption algorithms or go talk to a good Computer Science student.

15. aquariumjunky

And if you really want to feel secure when I was in my 400 level networking class we learned how to break into virtually any wireless network in about 200 seconds. Now I am not skilled but still belive I can probally get on basically any network in about 30 minutes.

Packet sniffing software is scary( and free )

Steven

16. MacBookProAR

MacBookProAR Stayton Member

Great now you let the cat out of the bag. I just got all of my family that comes to me for help calmed down about this.

I just ask "what the heck do you have that someone would waste their time for?" Its not always a catch all, but for most it is.

17. timbernet

timbernet Boring, Oregon Member

I've listened in on VoIP phone conversations before -- both sides, no issues at all... scary!

Disclaimer: they were calls inside our company used for a demonstration of security, so no laws were broken.

18. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

Most people that are swift enough to intercept electronic communications are swift enough to break the encryption also. Aircrack is a wonderful thing :thumbup:

I live by the rule, never assume anything you do on the net is private.

19. Keane

Well, WPA/WEP are very poor encryption methods, so your wireless connection isn't anything close to reasonably secure. However, a PGP conversation with an appropriate sized key-set (as well as SSL) are not reasonably crackable by anyone.

The NSA MAAAY be the exception, but a 512bit key would take thousands of years, even with thousands of super computers.

20. PDXGuy

PDXGuy Portland Member

Its a Brave New World. Big Brother is listening and watching. Cheers!!