JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its a S&W model 745 I.P.S.C.
Another highly underrated .45acp is the S&W m645. I absolutely love them. Very similar shooting dynamics to a 1911 but with the added benefit of a DA capability. Plus, you can pick them up pretty cheap. I only gave $350 for this one. It was used/unfired without mark on it. :)

PBP, have you seen the new Dan Wesson stuff debuted at SHOT 2009? They are bringing the PM-9 back as a full model instead of just a limited run. The PM-7 is still there, but now there is the RZ-45 too. Both in 10mm as well. New color option for PM-7 too. There was something else but I cant remember what. Anyway, if I get funds available I'm gonna pick up a PM-9 and a PM-7 I think. Although I will wait to see how PM-7 and RZ-45 compare.

NO. My R.I.A. feeds and fires everything you put in the mag (includiing wadcutter reloads) and is a very accurate weapon. only added parts are nightsights and fancy grips. If a gun works everytime you pull the trigger and hits what it is aimed at just what more do you expect it to do if you spend 2 or 3 times more for it?

An RIA is not mechanically capable of the same accuracy a high end custom hand built hand fitted hand tuned 1911 is. That's a fact based on the process by which each product is made. But there are so few people capable of taking advantage of the accuracy difference, they seem the same except for the obvious asthetic qualities.

An RIA is not mechanically capable of the same accuracy a high end custom hand built hand fitted hand tuned 1911 is. That's a fact based on the process by which each product is made. But there are so few people capable of taking advantage of the accuracy difference, they seem the same except for the obvious asthetic qualities.
Then why does mine shoot touching holes at 25 ft? (used to shoot for the navy pistol team)

The typical measure of accuracy for pistols is 50 yards. And I didnt say an RIA isnt capable of being accurate. Certainly a shooter familiar and comfortable with an RIA is probably capable of good accuracy. However, in comparison to high end 1911s, an RIA is not MECHANICALLY capable of the same accuracy. That is to say, when a user is removed from the equation, a high end gun will be more accurate than your RIA. The accuracy of a 1911 is highly dependent on fit. Not slide to frame fit, but what's inside the slide. Because a Brown or Wilson or etc is hand fitted, they are capable of better (NOTE: Better does not necessarily mean night and day difference) mechanical accuracy.

To keep thing is perspective even for myself. When it comes to defending yourself does it really matter if your $400 RIA shoots 2" group at 25 yards or your full custom shoots 1" groups at 25 yards.... to the bad guy both are equal.

No one mentioned a defense scenario though. You are correct that the BG wont care. But the question was whether a premium 1911 is worth the extra money. I'm simply asserting that there IS a difference, even if most people, myself included, dont shoot well enough to enjoy that difference on anything more than a psychological level. My argument was in reference to mechanical accuracy achieved from a machine benchrest.

what about the reliability? I know I feel more assured that a qualified gun builder builds my gun bottom up to work vs. a machinist who limits his "responsibility" to his one part is to "acceptable specs" on the conveyor belt assembly line build.

A couple mm here and there, things get sloppy and that can lead to problems sometimes.

then again those HK pistols are looser than a Tijuana whore but seem to keep chugging along...just like a Tijuana whore.

I assume that folks mean Les Baer, Ed Brown, Richard Heinie, etc. when they say premium.
I have three 1911s. Two Colts, one Dan Wesson. The oldest Colt has a few tweaks and has a slightly loose frame to slide fit. I don't see how anyone would not consider this gun "premium", mostly cuz it's a very nice old Colt, but it is not a hand fitted gun. Feeds every thing an chews the center out of the target at 50ft. The other Colt is a National Match that is approaching 50 years old and has been babied for most of it's life. No frame to slide wiggle. Shoots as well, but not really any better, than the other one. I consider this gun "premium", too. The Dan Wesson is the real surprise. What a sweetheart. Trigger at least as good as either Colt. Fitted like the one Playboy showed in his pictures. Comes with some Ed Brown parts. A near visual twin to the Ed Brown Special Forces Carry for about 1/2 the price. While I don't have the "nuts and bolts" experience of someone like Wichaka, I'm not sure what I get besides the name on the slide for my extra $1200 +. That kind of difference is a whole other gun! If someone else was buying, I might prefer the Ed Brown gun, but not when it's my money.
I used to have a Para P12. Packed and shot that little booger for a long time. Really liked the gun but it was not in the same class as the .45s I have now. Also, only worth about half of the Wesson.
So, my experience is that you get what you pay for to a certain extent and then you're paying for "status".

I think you reach a point of limiting benefits. Is it worth it spend a $1k-$1500 on a "semi-custom" like a Springfield TRP, to me yeah. The fit is better, the quality of the parts used is better, etc. Will me or you notice these differences, possibly not but it would suck to notice the difference when you need it.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top