JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Don't forget the whole slave owning thing. Makes it difficult to take the whole "Liberty and Justice (they meant Just-us) for All" seriously...much less literally. You think they would have seen their hypocrisy and just added a little addendum in there. Long story short, invoking the founders views in the modern world of 2020 doesn't do much for me.

Somebody deleted my response to you.

Don't forget the whole slave owning thing. Makes it difficult to take the whole "Liberty and Justice (they meant Just-us) for All" seriously...much less literally. You think they would have seen their hypocrisy and just added a little addendum in there. Long story short, invoking the founders views in the modern world of 2020 doesn't do much for me.
No offense intended, but that's a narrow and short-sighted view of history. The U.S. founding fathers and documents were an important part of societal evolution, not the end-all of perfection. Their views were based on thousands of years of human society and government, and were well thought out and still applicable today in many cases. Many of them were adamantly opposed to slavery, including some who held slaves, and they wanted to stop slavery at the time but lacked the political ability. Some of them helped set the stage for the abolition movement that ultimately ended slavery. Many of the founders' views on freedom and government are as applicable now as they were then, and fortunately they do apply to everyone now.

The ancient Greeks and Romans were brutal monsters in many ways; slavery and domination was a way of life back then. Their ideas on the structure and purpose of government and society, however, were well studied 250 years ago and are still studied today. Ancient philosophers of all eras and cultures are commonly cited for their wisdom, but when you study them you often find many of them had some views and practices that are frowned upon today. They were certainly not perfect, but they had some wisdom that is timeless and still valuable today. I think that that's about the best we can hope is said about us someday.

It's easy to sit here in our modern era and judge all those who came before us, but you can't even start to grasp history without trying to understand the perspective of the time. Slavery was a terrible, evil institution that had persisted since the beginning of human history, and it was no small feat to eventually abolish it, no matter how clear it seems to us as we look back on it. Before you sit in judgement of a prior generation, ask yourself if you would have had the same views as them if you had been raised in the same time with the same perspective.

Society has changed, but human nature has not.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top