JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A Lot of the world's militaries have destroyed their surplus stocks of arms (Even the ones that are and were importable ) because of Nato and "Arms reduction treaties". There are plenty of weapons like german g41's ,g43's ,p38's, maybe more mosins and other old ball rifles and even lugers that the Russians captured but the problem is they know how much these weapons are worth here in the United states and want the importers to pay too much for them. Ukraine has a nice amount of Nagants left Rifles and Revolvers but there is a war so we won't be seeing them anytime soon. Also there is only a Finite supply of surplus guns left. China is the motherload of surplus guns but we all know the story there. Also I suspect Cuba has a lot of older soviet era weapons also in storage still. Most of the High dollar like new stuff got bought up by the big importers already in the early 1990's and 2000's from weapons brokers in Europe.

Last Edited:
The CMP just announced that they are getting a shipment of 86,000 M1 Grands soon.
I hope so as I am interested in one myself but been following this on another forum and there are still a lot of 'ifs' and 'maybes' in this possibility. Its a better bet the 1911s being stored in Anniston, Alabama will hit the CMP before the Garands do - the 1911s are already in the possession of the US - which is one of the 'hitches in the giddyup' with the Garands still in the PI.

Last Edited:
Paying $50 in 1975 for a 1911 sounds great. But it is all relative. In
1975 minimum wage was $2.10 hour. I remember in 1975 a friend
working at the saw mill ( pulling the green chain) taking home over $100
per week!! I thought what would you do with so much money?:eek:
You could rent a 4 bedroom nice house for under $100 a month.:oops:

As much as I'd like to see the prices go down I think they'll just level out for awhile and the people who buy from the CMP will just keep buying more.

Kinda reminds me back when you could buy M-16's for $5,000, and back then, I thought to myself, there was no way i was going to spend that much just to have a M-16, so i never got into the NFA game. now look at the prices...:eek:

The SKS, started gaining popularity when ammo prices were going up and commy block imports were frozen.
I mean the 7.62x39 round is nothing to play with a formidable round no matter what anyone thicks.
There have been a few dozen articles on Zombie guns and the SKS tops the list and added to popularity.
Its self contained, easily field stripped, reliable solid well built and shoots the well known AK-47 round more accurately.
Whats not to love, I have got SKS for free and paid up to $350 for a nice Yugo the thing is they becoming harder to find and supplies are thinning, even parts on Ebay and Guns shows are going up. If you have never fired a SKS you are missing out on one of the best semi-auto rifles made. The stigma held only because there were millions imported and they were cheap. So most pro-gun owners snubbed the SKS as a poor mans semi-auto. Only now the last few years are people seeing these are great firearms.
I run a SKS group so I guess I am biased but love to work and own these . The Mosin is gaining price indexes for the same reasons
basically the day of buying a cheap firearm for 99.00 is gone unless you want a Hipoint or jennings ROFL.

Prices go up and down in the firearms world all the time.
Depending on what movie or TV show is popular , Who is in office and what they are planning , etc ...

I have seen folks pay what I think is too much for a certain gun.
But what I think is too much , may not be too much for them.
Also prices do vary wildly in relation to where and when the gun is sold.

At the end of the day the price is what it is.
The seller can ask whatever he wants for his gun ... if he has patience he will get his asking price.
It is up to the buyer to do their homework and research about the gun they want to buy.
If you don't like the asking price ... make a counter offer or move on to another seller.
Dare I say : "Its just a gun... No need to get all worked up about : 'Remember when these sold for ...' " :eek::D

Sure I wish I could afford all the guns I see and like .... But that just ain't going to happen.
And yeah I miss the "good old days" of great prices on various guns ... but as much as I like history , you can't live in the past.
Andy

Last Edited:

That would be great, if it happens. The article is speaking as if this may happen, not a done deal yet. Even says they are 'hopeful', so clearly not a sure thing at this point. If it does happen though, I'll likely be getting in line myself!

Whatever the market may be, 2017 may be the best chance to score some 'bargain' prices in firearms. With the change in administration, and the anti-gun folks still reeling from a loss they didn't see coming, we have a short breather, so the gun-buying panic has slowed pace quite a bit. For that reason, some prices have been dropping and you may find folks that stocked up on those Mosins, SKS's, etc. may be looking to off load some of their spares, and they'll likely have to do it at a loss. While I'm not in buying mode right now, I have been watching the ads and there seems to be a drop in prices, somewhat, from what they have been the past number of years.

I've said it before, as have others, now is the time to buy, before the next panic sets in. Get your guns, mags, ammo, etc. while they are plentiful and prices are reasonably decent. No doubt the next panic is just around the next proverbial corner.

Whatever the market may be, 2017 may be the best chance to score some 'bargain' prices in firearms. With the change in administration, and the anti-gun folks still reeling from a loss they didn't see coming, we have a short breather, so the gun-buying panic has slowed pace quite a bit. For that reason, some prices have been dropping and you may find folks that stocked up on those Mosins, SKS's, etc. may be looking to off load some of their spares, and they'll likely have to do it at a loss. While I'm not in buying mode right now, I have been watching the ads and there seems to be a drop in prices, somewhat, from what they have been the past number of years.

I've said it before, as have others, now is the time to buy, before the next panic sets in. Get your guns, mags, ammo, etc. while they are plentiful and prices are reasonably decent. No doubt the next panic is just around the next proverbial corner.

YES!! I have tried to tell several I work with that same thing. There is a glut right now. That can change very fast.

To answer the OPs question, yes. The reason is in this thread right here. I also lament the day of getting milsurps at great prices because I'd like to collect at this point but it's too hard.

But if the OP isn't a baby boomer, just wait until all these old guys start keeling over and their heirs sell off their collections.

A lot of the demand for milsurps, especially USGI, is being driven by baby boomers. Once the demand "dies," and the supply opens up, be ready with a fistful of cash.

Can confirm: I've bought tons of really nice guns from estate sales/auctions at 35-50% of the going rate these last couple years.

I got a nice M44 for $75, an sks for $120, an unfired USFA Rodeo II for $500, M1 Carbine for $250, Browning B-80 for $200....all within the last couple months.

The problem is that most of those milsurp guns aren't being bought by collectors, they're being bought by panicked preppers because all of the noise on the internet is telling them that they are "the perfect survival gun". I mean, look at what those stupid prepper articles have done to .22 ammo.

I always check the auction sites and large gun sale sites and local to see what the market is. Then i add at least $50 because everyone wants a deal , usually offering much less or someone might want it bad. Then I drop the price over time if it sits too long. I will try to get as much as the market allows.

Last Edited:
The problem is that most of those milsurp guns aren't being bought by collectors, they're being bought by panicked preppers because all of the noise on the internet is telling them that they are "the perfect survival gun". I mean, look at what those stupid prepper articles have done to .22 ammo.

There's big money to be made by fear. Not all that long ago, I don't recall even hearing the term 'prepper'. Yeah, they've been around a long time - think the bunker craze of the cold war era. But it seems, at least to me, two big events helped really spark the growth of the prepper craze: The new millennium (Y2K scare) and Obama's election. Since those two events, preppers have become a big industry in and of themselves. Heck, I knew people that put themselves on the edge of bankruptcy prepping for Y2K, that are still trying to recover from their excessive purchases of chemical toilets and water storage tanks. It seems scaring people into buying a bunch of overpriced stuff is pretty easy to do.

But yes, those articles are a big factor. "If you don't have 10 Mosin Nagants, you'll die in the first 2 days after SHTF" or "You need to have 1,000,000 rounds of .22lr on you at all times, or you will literally be eaten by crazed non-preppers" certainly don't help the situation. My guess is some of those folks will eventually start to off load some of their excesses (I'm seeing plenty of .22 getting dumped in the ads lately), and will do so at a loss.

There's big money to be made by fear. Not all that long ago, I don't recall even hearing the term 'prepper'. Yeah, they've been around a long time - think the bunker craze of the cold war era. But it seems, at least to me, two big events helped really spark the growth of the prepper craze: The new millennium (Y2K scare) and Obama's election. Since those two events, preppers have become a big industry in and of themselves. Heck, I knew people that put themselves on the edge of bankruptcy prepping for Y2K, that are still trying to recover from their excessive purchases of chemical toilets and water storage tanks. It seems scaring people into buying a bunch of overpriced stuff is pretty easy to do.

But yes, those articles are a big factor. "If you don't have 10 Mosin Nagants, you'll die in the first 2 days after SHTF" or "You need to have 1,000,000 rounds of .22lr on you at all times, or you will literally be eaten by crazed non-preppers" certainly don't help the situation. My guess is some of those folks will eventually start to off load some of their excesses (I'm seeing plenty of .22 getting dumped in the ads lately), and will do so at a loss.

I kinda like those articles in a way, because if SHTF, most of those people will become an enemy, and I'd rather have them shooting at me with .22 lr out of a extended 10/22 mag that jams, or with the slow rate of fire from a Mosin with a sticky-bolt. They can have their junk, I'll keep my AR-10s, AR-15s, and Glocks.....and lever guns, wheel guns, elephant guns, etc.

I kinda like those articles in a way, because if SHTF, most of those people will become an enemy, and I'd rather have them shooting at me with .22 lr out of a extended 10/22 mag that jams, or with the slow rate of fire from a Mosin with a sticky-bolt. They can have their junk, I'll keep my AR-10s, AR-15s, and Glocks.....and lever guns, wheel guns, elephant guns, etc.

I just prep with black powder guns like the Hawken rifle ala @AndyinEverson, I figure if SHTF, I'll bug out and go all Jeremiah Johnson ;)

Todays preppers are yesterdays ''Survivalists''.
I'm sure they had many other names before that, clear back before the bronze age.

It's just that every generation likes to think they, and they alone are the first to be in this situation.
And a fresh name gives them ownership.

You know.
Kinda how fixing a flat tire. Or cooking fish in tinfoil today is called a ''Life Hack''. o_O

Todays preppers are yesterdays ''Survivalists''.
I'm sure they had many other names before that, clear back before the bronze age.

It's just that every generation likes to think they, and they alone are the first to be in this situation.
And a fresh name gives them ownership.

You know.
Kinda how fixing a flat tire. Or cooking fish in tinfoil today is called a ''Life Hack''. o_O

It is if you can fix that flat with the fish cooked in tin foil! :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top