JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I know of one situation where a tinfoil hat might actually protect you from the government...

Ever heard of those microwave active denial systems?

Imagine wrapping up in foil and zapping everyone around you with electric shocks lol

Heck, I knew people that put themselves on the edge of bankruptcy prepping for Y2K,
I had a fairly substantial amount I offered to bet to almost ANYONE who actually believed 'something' would happen at Zero Hour of Y2K - and MY bet was nothing was going to happen - funny thing - no one took me up on it even though I offered it to some that were 'convinced' something was going to happen.

For certain, there are bargains to be had on new firearms right now.

Re: Surplus, I paid $399 for a Zastava M59/66a1 (SKS) a few weeks ago. I just always wanted one, and I know in few years they'll be $699. I love shooting these SKS, they are like a big Oldsmobile.

I cannot bring myself to pay $200 for a Mosin. The last two I had (M44 and 91/30) I bought for $45 and $89. The M44 was in bad condition and I cleaned it up to where you could hit the pie plate at 50 yards; beyond that it was complete garbage - mostly just a tool for making loud booms and cool fireballs. The 91/30 was a matching Tula in good condition, and I really, really, regret selling that one.. but no way it's worth $200.

I called Big 5 about the Mosin today and they told me their buyers are not finding any quality 91/30 left out there. Who knows if it's true, but it would seem to confirm the Supply/Demand argument about prices.

For what I paid.....I figure it's worth it.

tin%20foil%20cat.jpg

The subject was Tin Foil.....Rrrrright?

Aloha, Mark

I never get tired of laughing at these guys, I think the math works out something like this
Cost of parts +30% Customization fee +20% labor fee +5% Its mine so that makes it worth more fee = price no one should ever pay.
Just look at any "custom" vehicle on Craigslist. Same story... Invested $35k, will sacrifice for $10k... OBO.

I've gone past the Mosins, SKS, and the usual stuff you find at Classic, AIM, et.al. Now I've drifted into South American Mausers; my latest was an 1891 Argentine in pristine condition, numbers matching but with a scrubbed crest. I picked it up for $395 out the door. That's the going price and if you want it, you pay it. It's not like they're making more and many of those Argys were sported in the 60's

Just look at any "custom" vehicle on Craigslist. Same story... Invested $35k, will sacrifice for $10k... OBO.

^^^Exactly right.

FWIW, out of curiousity and nostalgia I did a little calling around for Mosin Nagants last week and it's all true: prices have doubled and even tripled in just 7 years, while supplies have dried up. Unbelievable, never thought I'd see the day!

While not milsurp, I'm sure seeing a lot of new guys trying to sell used, home-built AR's for like $2000.
Pardon me, but if I won't shoot someone else's reloads, why the F would I buy your hunk a junk for any amount of money? no thanks

Huh, I disagree. I have a "mutt" AR that will outshoot any off the shelf Ruger or Smith or Springfield. All hand fitted and top shelf parts. No, I wouldn't ask 2k for it, but I sure wouldn't put it in the same category as reloaded ammo.

Huh, I disagree. I have a "mutt" AR that will outshoot any off the shelf Ruger or Smith or Springfield. All hand fitted and top shelf parts. No, I wouldn't ask 2k for it, but I sure wouldn't put it in the same category as reloaded ammo.
Well there's always that.

Gents,

Do believe that we tend to discard thought of we are simply curators of our firearms. Sure we do own them for a bit, they will outlast many many generations of others with care.
What I see is simple Econ 101 (Austrian School, thank you) in action.
Lesser supply, more demand, hella higher prices.
For myself as a hobby rebuilding old .mil rifles back to issue kit gives my odd hoard those arms at that time wanted. Sure, by time rifle is completed more cash has been spent/barter done/trades completed that if gun was bought outright.

Rebuilding arms is a passion and hobby that can be shared with our youngin's and interested folk. My time used doing so is a fine opportunity to pass on skills quickly passing into history faster than our curated collectibles.
Dunno, prices are rising like crazy, have no answers for them, save hunt, hunt, and keep searching until THAT price.
Don't care for that M 98K mismatch overstamped Russkie capture piss poor rough reblue?
Take that pass, keep looking.
AFAIA few of we NEED a particular arm right at that moment. (Unless it is that Ronnie Barrett signed M-82 .mil return rebuild, in new factory box with Shepard scope, in hand, papers, bill of sale, 100usd...)

I was a young cat in mid-70's, worked at a real wood and steel gun shop. My first mil-surp was a Chinee T-53 Capture Bringback. Worked seeping floors and making coffee, etc, etc, etc. Whole twelve usd. Now? Worth much more to its current owner.

Apologies for length of post, very passionate about future of our hobbies and collections, taking seriously about forbidding rust and politicians trying to destroy them.

SnC
Umatilla, The Other OrYgunn

Awwww, I thought, CONTEST!!! Then I saw that you didn't include the infamous, "one ragged hole," Colt H-BARS! Shucks :(!

During the early '70s I was offered a decent SKS for a very reasonable price. It was, shall we say, a "vet Bring-back" unpapered at a time when "papers" were sumthin ya rolled yer smokes in. At that time it was an unknown- and no ammo in country, and at the time I was arming up for the Apocalypse anyway. So I turned it down as just being a mild curiousity. "Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda!", don't ya know... oy vey.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top