JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I haven't been collecting for as long as many other people here, I got into firearms around 2008. Even so, I remember buying a Mosin (in excellent condition) for $89, and a Chinese SKS for $180, to cite just a couple of examples. I hear these were even cheaper in the past, with even the latter routinely selling for well under $100. These days typical 91/30 Mosins are offered for well over $200 maybe and you may be able to score an SKS clone for around 350 if you shop around online (locally it seems everyone asks for a lot more). Of course then you have to worry about shipping and transfer fees so it still probably becomes a $400 rifle.

My question is, are people actually paying these prices? Not that I want another 91/30 but I can't imagine ever paying 200-300 for one. I understand that's how the game goes. Huge supply keeps prices low, but it's not like more are being made and supply eventually dries up so prices shoot up. Are sellers really moving these products for such asking prices though?

It is strange when supply goes down and demand goes up or remains the same; It's almost like economics or something! Not like anything like that would happen with anything else like ammo or gas or whatever...

While not milsurp, I'm sure seeing a lot of new guys trying to sell used, home-built AR's for like $2000.
Pardon me, but if I won't shoot someone else's reloads, why the F would I buy your hunk a junk for any amount of money? no thanks

Yeah, all about demand and availability, as you can't imagine paying that much for one, you already have one....

Those that do not already have one, can imagine paying what is essentially the going price.

I haven't been collecting for as long as many other people here, I got into firearms around 2008. Even so, I remember buying a Mosin (in excellent condition) for $89, and a Chinese SKS for $180, to cite just a couple of examples. I hear these were even cheaper in the past, with even the latter routinely selling for well under $100. These days typical 91/30 Mosins are offered for well over $200 maybe and you may be able to score an SKS clone for around 350 if you shop around online (locally it seems everyone asks for a lot more). Of course then you have to worry about shipping and transfer fees so it still probably becomes a $400 rifle.

My question is, are people actually paying these prices? Not that I want another 91/30 but I can't imagine ever paying 200-300 for one. I understand that's how the game goes. Huge supply keeps prices low, but it's not like more are being made and supply eventually dries up so prices shoot up. Are sellers really moving these products for such asking prices though?

When I was a kid I got into coin collecting. Asked an old timer one day about the "worth or coins down the road". He said no matter what the books say a coin is worth what you can sell it for. That has never changed. Guns are worth what someone will pay. Some fetch what to me seem strange amounts. It is what it is. I remember seeing Mil Surp 1911's for $25 before GCA68. Then even in the 70s seeing nice, very nice, Mil. Surp. 1911's going for about 2/3ds the cost of the new Colt version. Often wish I had bought a stash of them to put away.

On one hand I can understand how OP feels but really thems the breaks of the gun world. I really miss my Mosins and had been wanting to pick up a couple again but seeing the price on the guns (and even more so the ammo now that 54r surplus ammo is all but gone) now has really held me back from adding one to my list of things to get when I can afford to.
But on the other hand you can just look at those ads from the 50's and 60's selling DEWAT MG's for 20-100$ and realize that this trend is not new and will only be repeated.

So to answer OP I'd say yes, I do plan on trying to find a mosin for around 200 (hopefully less) in the near future. I'm sure it will take some looking around and I'll probably find one I need to do some work on but fiddling with firearms is really my favorite thing to do so I'll manage. I don't know when I'll get around to being able to get one though as I'm on a very limited budget for the near future and need to get my honey and I pistols and a shotgun first.

What I REALLY don't understand is people who would buy a 89$ mosin (or nowadays a 2-300 dollar one) and put 300$ worth of butt ugly stock and wobbly scout mount on them. By the time you finish up you will be paying as much as you would for something a lot better and a hell of a lot less goofy. Same goes for a SKS, by the time you are done putting CRAPCO stuff on it you could have bought a much nicer gun that is a lot more reliable.

Yeah, all about demand and availability, as you can't imagine paying that much for one, you already have one....

Those that do not already have one, can imagine paying what is essentially the going price.
Talking to me? or just the thread? If me, you can get a new Ruger for what, $500? no need to blow $2000 on a mutt

While not milsurp, I'm sure seeing a lot of new guys trying to sell used, home-built AR's for like $2000.
Pardon me, but if I won't shoot someone else's reloads, why the F would I buy your hunk a junk for any amount of money? no thanks

I never get tired of laughing at these guys, I think the math works out something like this
Cost of parts +30% Customization fee +20% labor fee +5% Its mine so that makes it worth more fee = price no one should ever pay.

well, as far as milsurp. I have been wanting a matching 98k and over the last few years, I have seen them go from 500ish to well over 1k easy and I bet some of those are forced matched. so yeah, either buy it now or pay more in a few years.

I hope I wasn't construed as lamenting ever-increasing prices; I think have enough toys for now and not actively seeking much more. I haven't been doing this long, but long enough to know how it goes. What's more, I've been pretty happy with the prices I've paid for what I have. I was merely curious as to whether anyone was actually buying things for prices that would have been considered crazy just a few years ago.

Also ditto on the hate for tasteless mods. By the time you add the aftermarket stock, mags, scope mounts, etc to an SKS to make it more like an AK, you may as well have just bought an AK instead of piecing together the worst of both worlds.

I have had 3 different SKSs in the past and came to the realization I'm not a collector , so I sold them all at a nice profit. The AR platform serves me much better.
And yes people are paying these prices on items getting harder to find. Many things increase in value as they get older, unlike hookers.

I remember the days in fairly recent history, of $50 Turk Mauser, $50 Mosins, $89 SKSs, etc.. Going back a little further I remember $150 M1 Carbines all day long. Some of you all who have been into guns longer than me have even better memories.

Every once in a while I get wishing that I'd bought a bunch and stacked them up as an investment. Then I get thinking about inflation and how the increase isn't as dramatic as it first appears. Then I get thinking as to how if I had a time machine and could go back a couple decades, I'd be buying Apple or Google stock, not guns. I remember when Google went public a dozen years ago or so. I actually had a little money then and thought about buying some stock, but didn't. If I calculate right, $2,000 invested in '04 would be worth close to $30k now. Talk about kicking myself.

And then I get remembering how hard it was to spend $89 twenty years ago. Sure, I'll always kick myself for not buying one of those $70 Swedish Mausers in the mid '90s, but I can always find one nowadays for $300, and in reality it's probably easier (for me) to come up with $300 now than is was to spend $70 back then.

To answer the OPs question, yes. The reason is in this thread right here. I also lament the day of getting milsurps at great prices because I'd like to collect at this point but it's too hard.

But if the OP isn't a baby boomer, just wait until all these old guys start keeling over and their heirs sell off their collections.

A lot of the demand for milsurps, especially USGI, is being driven by baby boomers. Once the demand "dies," and the supply opens up, be ready with a fistful of cash.

the problem with milsurp guns- THEY AREN'T MAKING ANY MORE OF THEM! AS THE SUPPLY DRIES UP THE PRICE GOES UP, PRETTY SIMPLE SUPPLY AND DEMAND THEORY. The "I remember when" arguement sounds like "sour grapes" to me. Some idgits act like there is a factory somewhere churning out a never ending supply and they are just waiting for the next batch to come through. (that's AR's not milsurps, they be so confused)

I run into these fellas at gun shows (back before I got disgusted with gun shows and quit going). When they make me a ridiculous offer I tell them to hop into their little time machines and go pick up a few.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top