Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Are Otis cleaning kits worth the money?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Joe Link, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Been meaning to upgrade from my generic bi-mart universal kit for quite some time now. Got some Cabela's gift cards for Christmas, so now might be the time. I'd like to hear opinions on the Otis kits, particularly the Otis elite. It'd be great to buy a complete kit, but does it really have almost everything I'd need for all of my guns? Is it worth the money?

2. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I like the Otis stuff, but honestly, i was in no-mans land when i was trying to build up my cleaning stuff; the kits are nice, but tend to have extras/things you don't need/can't use.

I think basic kits are nice so long as the components are all needed, then i bought separate stuff. My best buys were ball bearing CF cleaning rods, made a huge difference, i also like the tornado brushes to compliment the regular brushes.

3. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I have that one. probably use 25% of it. It is a comprehensive kit and it is good quality though. I didnt need many of the small tools. Now that I've settled on select calibers many of the brushes go unused. The cleaning / lubricating solution is good. The round cleaning clothes are good and designed to be reused a few times.

It also has redundant parts in the round bag.

4. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I'll second bolus' post, and add that i do have an Otis kit, and i found pretty much the same to be true.

5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

If I were going to recommend one kit to buy that would be the one to get! No messing around with rods. Easy to use overall! The bore brushes last a long long time, the patches can be used, rotated, used, rotated, flipped, used, etc.

All my packs have one!

6. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I've been looking at the elite for a while and missed out on a black Friday sale on amazon at 75.00.
    I picked up a otis msr set and it is very nice, I will be adding to the Otis collection :D

7. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

For M1As, Garands, revolvers, Hi points, difficult to disassemble 22s..etc it comes in handy.

Rather than ram a rod down the bore of some nice rifles/pistols and damage the crown it allows you
    (like with boresnake) to go from the chamber to the end of the muzzle by pulling through.

Also, if you want a spare its a great thing to toss in your range bag or vehicle for those just in case moments its FAR more compact than the standard rod type cleaning systems.
    The otis elite though a little spendy will be worth it, especially if you wind up preffering to clean using that system.

I have a military surplus otis type kit, its great.

8. filsonhand

filsonhand In the Silicon Forest Smooth as a Rhino 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

fuglejegern_otis_mongoose_1_800x800_2.jpg
    These bad boys are sweet for the ar15 :D

fuglejegern_otis_mongoose_1_800x800_2.jpg

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.