JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Are Oregon Correction Officers considered Law Enforcement who don't need a CHL?

I was just talking to one of my CO buddies about the new law enabling them to keep a carry piece in their cars at work, and he said that he really needed to get his CHL. Anyone know what Oregon law says on the subject?

State of Oregon DOC officers require a CHL to carry off duty based on the statutory description of the scope of their official duties. County CO duties are specified by their employing jurisdictions and so may or may not be authorized off duty carry. That is my recollection from instructing firearms classes at the DPSST Public Safety Academy for 7 years through 2012 though state DOC began their own in-house firearms training after 2010 (?) I think.

Thanks. My friend has on site State DOC training and was a Marine so we don't think he need the Oregon one hour class. Hopefully he won't have to wait over 200 days for his CHL like I did. Our Sheriff was back-logged for six months with applications last year.

You're correct. The instruction he received at DOC fulfills the OR CHL training requirement as would a pistol qualification recorded on his DD214.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top