JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only way an AR is going to be a collector's item of value is if it is an original configuration or test/prototype model...at least until they become illegal but grandfathered. Even then, there are something like 15 million in circulation. For a current model, if you want to wait 70 years for a plain Jane rifle to be financially valuable, go for it.

Other than Colt requiring different sized pins from everyone else, it is still just another AR. There is nothing noteworthy about them. I do not see where only brand name will matter in this case. This is not like something like the HK P7 pistols, where they were not only different, but that they had characteristics that elevated them above the average comparable firearms of their type (not to mention a dedicated following which Colt ARs do not have in any meaningful way).

Just off the top of my head based on 20 years being a Colt fanboy and chatting with people in the know.

If for some reason Colt never produces another Colt Ar15 Prices will go up over the years. Some people are just shooters they don't what roll mark is on the receiver.

Colt has been criticized for its trigger pin size. Part of this was due to civilian parts and military parts coming off the same production lines so it was extra insurance that a full auto Ar15 didn't accidentally go out which would be serious problems for colt,

When the parts were coming off the same production lines they went through the same testing as the Military grade weapons. This really is not necessary for a civilian rifle cause if an extractor failed they simply called and complained and got a new one. Multiple failures could cost a Mil Contract costing millions.

Colt being a gov contractor does charge more just like many other companies that do. Colt also pays its union employees more than most other companies that may have a revolving door of employees. I would say the brand name plays a part because of the history of Colt ar15 in general.

During the ban complete colt preban rifles did sell for more but as complete rifles, the receivers sold for about the same every pre-ban receiver whether it was a colt, Bushmaster, Eagle even Oly sold on average between $800-1000. There was a rare colt Tactical carbine which only 134 made before the ban I think it was colts first flat-top carbine before the ban and they were selling for up to $4500 I know at least 2 made it to Oregon because I remember seeing them for Private sale in the Nickel Ads.

The earliest SP1s are demanding a premium the lower the serial number the more valuable with some selling in the 10s of thousands. Remember The Colt Sp1 started it all. It is the Grand Father of them all. Thus why the name means so much.

I still modern colts being of high value may be eventually if they never produce another Ar15 as many hobbyists like building authentic Mil Style rifles as close to the original as Possible this would include Colt parts. I remember selling an early Armalite colt barrel that I sold for $125 selling for over a grand but those are rare collectible parts. Sp1 barrels that were selling for $125 just 15 years ago selling for $350-450.

Thing is someone paying a premium for a modern part may see it go up in value but should colt decide to make another run of Ar15 then there goes the value. It all depends on the buyer if you are buying for an investment look into rare or quality parts made before the so-called "drop-in quality" some have mentioned. I am not sure where that info is formed other than colt producing the expanse which was probably a bad move for colt.

If you are building a rifle for hobby purposes of authenticity you probably are someone who can afford to buy collectible parts. Parts do dry up when a company stops making them or did not make a lot of them in the first place they will go up.

Colt will not longer be selling to the public? There are millions in the public hands now. Any ideas?

Based on info at Gunbroker, it appears prices are already climbing (on some versions):

Last Edited:
Colt branded ar-15 there are too many made to be collectible. Fe Winchester model 94 there were over 7 million made. You can find a really old one in good condition for like $650-$1000 while a new reproduction costs $1200. Contrast to low volume original Henry rifle at $20,000-$80,000 and reproduction costs $1500-$2000 or whatever they are charging for them now.

Last Edited:
Colt will not longer be selling to the public? There are millions in the public hands now. Any ideas?
I use Colt parts for some of builds, namely their M4 barrels and occasionally a BCG but the fact is there are so many other companies out there doing a great job that Colt is really nothing special. Unless you want their name and logo marked on the side of your receiver, I'd say they aren't going to be in high enough demand to become collectible. At least not any time soon.

Remember seeing them sold off of a pallet back in the 80's at a gun show, $400 iirc. Aren' t some of the early armalite and colts hitting curio and relic status?

We're talking about collecting, not investing. Collecting is at least 50% emotion, and yes, the rampant colt is just plain cooler than any other AR roll mark.

That being said, I agree with those who say Colt will bring back the AR at some point, probably with a few tweaks. When they do that, all of those rifles made during this era will become "collectible".

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top