JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I live in WA and if I buy a gun from someone from WA, will FFL dealer charge WA sales tax? As I understand, only guns purchased in WA from individuals from another state (e.g. someone from OR sells me a gun) are taxed, but guns transactions within the state are tax exempt. I am correct?

Dan from Seattle

You're correct Dan. No sales tax will be collected if you do a private sale/purchase with another WA State citizen. Assuming you meet up at a FFL for the transfer, they will only collect a transfer fee from you or the other party.

Licensed Washington dealers are not required to collect Washington use tax on:

• transfers between private parties or other unlicensed persons

I live in WA and if I buy a gun from someone from WA, will FFL dealer charge WA sales tax? As I understand, only guns purchased in WA from individuals from another state (e.g. someone from OR sells me a gun) are taxed, but guns transactions within the state are tax exempt. I am correct?

Dan from Seattle
Does WA sales tax apply to purchases between private parties?

No sales tax between private WA to WA party.

No sales tax between private party WA and out-of-state. *NOTE: out of state private party must include a piece of paper with firearm stating "private party sale" and seller must include a copy of their ID (drivers driver's license or state issued ID). Also, let's say, an Oregon/Idaho resident drives it across the border to meet you at your FFL. You give the seller the money, they give the firearm to your FFL, FFL asks to see their ID (to ensure they are legal to sell firearm), seller leaves with money, you stay and fill out paperwork. No tax collected. Only FFL transfer fee (that may be taxed?).

Tax will be collected if firearm is received from an FFL without private party paperwork ("bill of sale" and copy if ID).

Hope this helps.

:s0155:

No sales tax between private WA to WA party.

No sales tax between private party WA and out-of-state. *NOTE: out of state private party must include a piece of paper with firearm stating "private party sale" and seller must include a copy of their ID (drivers driver's license or state issued ID). Also, let's say, an Oregon/Idaho resident drives it across the border to meet you at your FFL. You give the seller the money, they give the firearm to your FFL, FFL asks to see their ID (to ensure they are legal to sell firearm), seller leaves with money, you stay and fill out paperwork. No tax collected. Only FFL transfer fee (that may be taxed?).

Tax will be collected if firearm is received from an FFL without private party paperwork ("bill of sale" and copy if ID).

Hope this helps.

:s0155:
I was thinking of other items too, like a TV, piece of furniture, ammo, etc. Are all private party purchases that occur in WA, free of sales tax, if bought from another private party. For example if I buy a tv for a friend and deliver it to him in WA and he pays me for it, no sales tax liability occurs?

Edit: My understanding is that WA residents work off the honor system for some sales tax.

Last Edited:
Between friends, who is to know or care what you did? Nobody need to know nuttin'..... ;)

If I am not mistaken, WA residents are supposed to run down to the state office and tell them we bought something out of state and need to pay a 6.4% "use tax" (I believe). (Oh wait, all that tax paying is done online now. So you have to set up an account, login, admit to everything you bought, then pay the tax on it via online. And if you pay by credit card you get to pay a 2.4% fee also. You don't have to pay the fee if you give them your bank routing number and account number so they can pull it directly from your account. :confused: )

Between friends, who is to know or care what you did? Nobody need to know nuttin'..... ;)

If I am not mistaken, WA residents are supposed to run down to the state office and tell them we bought something out of state and need to pay a 6.4% "use tax" (I believe). (Oh wait, all that tax paying is done online now. So you have to set up an account, login, admit to everything you bought, then pay the tax on it via online. And if you pay by credit card you get to pay a 2.4% fee also. You don't have to pay the fee if you give them your bank routing number and account number so they can pull it directly from your account. :confused: )

I would love to know how much self-reported use tax they collect in a year.

If you remember, a few years ago people got postcards from out of state vendors telling them that they notified the state of their purchases throughout that year and they owed use tax. I heard that if you just ignored the postcard nothing happened.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top