JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I've been looking at some revolvers lately (possibly a Xmas gift to myself) :s0131: :D and noticed that Colt Pythons go for anywhere from $850-1000 for one. Are they worth the money? What makes them so expensive? I'm sure it is a top quality wheelgun but what makes them worth the extra cash over a SW or Ruger .357 that can be had for few hundred less?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! :s0155:

If you get a chance to shoot a python enough to really see and feel how they work you might change your mind.I dont know if they are worth the money but mine is the best shooting revolver I have ever used...Robin

Every one I have been able to handle has been what I consider to be superior to any S & W with regard to fit, finish and balance. I will have one if I ever find a 'fair' deal on one and besides, Rick on The Walking Dead carries one so that ups the 'cool' factor.

huh maybe that's it. I never got to handle one let alone shoot it. I wish I can but haven't seen one around except for the sales forums around. *sigh*

I haven't owned the the python....

But I sure as heck kick myself daily for allowing myself to sell off my anaconda I had years ago.

Very nice. Pick it up. fondle it and then shoot it.

Only do the above if in fact you are prepared to fork over the dough, because you will want one.

I've always wanted one but I just can't justify over a thousand dollars for a collectible anymore. If I had excess funds then you betcha... :)
How can you not drool over this?

Colt-Python.jpg

I think the Python was thee smoothest wheel gun made at one point.Best looking,balanced nice.Just an overall great 6 shooter in 357.
Worth the money? Not real sure.That all depends on the circumstances.
Carry gun? You gots lots a money? Nostalgic? Then yes,it's worth the money.

I love 'em,but they are expensive and kinda purtty tp take out hunting.Smooth as silk though.And BAD *** looking.

Are you gunna reload and pump up the round? Use it for a hunting side arm? Could afford it,but it would tap you out?

Buy the gun that most reloaders I have talk to love

Ruger GP (not the SP) 100. Strong frame and won't break the bank.

Colt Pythons fall under the same classification as custom 1911's in my opinion. They are only worth the extra money if you are a person that appreciates fine details and values even minor advantages in performance.

Will the Python perform noticeably better than a S&W m686 in most real life scenarios? No, it probably will not. In fact it might be less likely to perform at all since one might be reluctant to carry it into the field. If you are just a person that appreciates practical performance then you would not find it worth it.

Is it mechanically more intricate and precise? Yes, it is a much more complicated and precision built gun. It is like comparing a swiss watch to a casio. So if you appreciate those things it is worth it.

I have had the opportunity to repair a few. Well fix the hammer push off, on a few that were shot in excess of 20k rounds each.

They are the only revolver I have seen that are built like a Swiss watch! Fit and finish is not comparable to anything that comes out of the s&w custom shop.

Are they worth it? Yes

wow that is a great looking gun PlayboyPenguin!

and thanks again for all the input! I can only dream of dropping a grand on gun so I guess I better look at some cheaper alternatives. one day...

I'm sure it is a top quality wheelgun but what makes them worth the extra cash over a SW or Ruger .357 that can be had for few hundred less?

The same thing that makes a SW or a Ruger worth a few hundred more than a comparable Taurus.

They will all get the job done... so to some people, they're not worth the extra money.

On the other hand, the build quality and craftsmanship is better, so is the trigger... So to others, it's well worth the extra money.

I love my s&w revolvers... my rugers are workhorses... but my python is my favorite by far. It's not a safe queen either, It gets shot whenever possible.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top