JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@ comment 39 -
While I might think that is a good idea, the ability of people to group together is one of our essential foundations.

The difference being Public vs Private work unions.

FYI- I'm in a private sector trade union, and there is a HUGE difference in "attitude" as far as " do your job, keep your job" is concerned. Being in a private sector job doesn't do jack-squat to "protect" your job. There are lay-offs, terminations, etc. as Oregon is a right to work state and you can be hired or fired "at will".

It is damned difficult to terminate a public employee, short of them committing egregious actions. Case in point, there's the RUDEST, most OBNOXIOUS lady who works at the local DMV... seriously, she's infamous in my town, the Salem administrators know her by name as well... but she's still there years later, doing the same crap day after day.

Last Edited:
PINAC
The video is at this link - you decide.
http://photographyisnotacrime.com/2...ops-arrest-man-video-recording-making-arrest/
" A Miami man spent ten days in jail for recording police arresting his friend, accused of falsifying his name when all he did was refuse to provide his name on the basis that he wasn't doing anything illegal. In fact,…

"They later determined he had been obstructing justice, the usual makeshift charge when cops retaliate against citizens for recording them, and falsifying his name. The obstruction charge was changed to resisting arrest."

CBS News Coverage:
The video is at this link - you decide.
http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/04/28/man-arrested-after-taping-arrest-with-cell-phone/

"I backed off into the building and I stayed behind the glass doors," Estrada told CBS4′s Gary Nelson. "Obviously, all I had was my phone in my hands in clear sight…and he only told me once. I did what he told me."

In the arrest report, Ofc. Valdez wrote that he gave Estrada "verbal commands to back away and he refused to do so." The video shows Valdez waving Estrada off only once, and Estrada retreating inside the store, where he continued to record the arrest.

"I felt threatened by his presence," Ofc. Valdez wrote of Estrada."

News anchor in linked video: Police said "use of the cell phone camera amounted to obstruction of justice"

I hope Officer Valdez is on desk duty until he no longer feels threatened by citizens with cell phones.

The idea that this will get sorted by the courts is just wrong. The officers need to know the law - they need to be trained on it. 99% of the time, the recordings will show the officers are in the right. This is one of those 1% cases. Note, most of the other officers do not stop the one bad cop from doing something bad. I'll bet they feel that if these charges go away, the guy got 10 days in the slammer and that is appropriate for not doing what the officer wanted - even i f it was not a lawful charge the officer brought. All the other cops in the video are guilty by association. Drive your buddy to the store with your concealed carry piece - he gets out robs the place - you had no idea that might happen. What do you think you will be charged with? Do you think they'll let you own guns again? Same standard must be held to those other officers. They could have let Estrada go - apologized for detaining him.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top