JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I do agree that shooters scope their rifles more often to brand, popular opinion and cost than to their skill- but admittedly cost is one of my main criteria when it comes to scope selection. If can't afford it, I can't get it. But shooter skill and ability to use what you have does go a long way in making a low power scope go a long way.

Years ago I bought this "high-end" Tasco 3-9x50 rimfire scope at Walmart before heading to the range, mainly because I had nothing on my AR and it was a whopping $6. Two years later it still works just fine, and lets me ring 8" steel plates at 500 yds. I originally had it mounted on another AR-15 with an A2 FSB, and I was having issues even getting 3" groups at 100 yds.- turns out the A2 was in the way. Lol.

Geno
View attachment 485364

Gene, I wanted to say that I admire your approach with the build you were talking about in another thread. You said you were saving up for a Nikon black 1000 scope. Great choice by the way. You want to shoot that grendel a loooooooong way, so it should probably have a great long range scope on it. Not a damn thing wrong with putting a "hubble" on that one. Hell, I equip all of my AR's with the Burris AR556 and AR762 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes. They work great and don't break the bank, but some may think they are a bit too big. If I were wanting to shoot past 600 yards, I'd opt for something like the Nikon you are wanting.

What's wrong with lifted big trucks???

Are you profilin us rednecks or sumpin?:p

Seriously though, the scope should fit the need. Where I hunt 3x9x40 is fine.

If I was trying to hunt east side at 300 yards+ then I would want a lot more options to zoom in.

I've also noticed a sun shade will make a scope seem a good 1/3rd longer then it actually is.

And yes, it's hard to remember that most people can only hit an 18"x18" target at 100 yards:D

What's wrong with lifted big trucks???

Are you profilin us rednecks or sumpin?:p

Seriously though, the scope should fit the need. Where I hunt 3x9x40 is fine.

If I was trying to hunt east side at 300 yards+ then I would want a lot more options to zoom in.

I've also noticed a sun shade will make a scope seem a good 1/3rd longer then it actually is.

And yes, it's hard to remember that most people can only hit an 18"x18" target at 100 yards:D

"That'll kill a deer" while high fives and chew spit a flyin!

Gene, I wanted to say that I admire your approach with the build you were talking about in another thread. You said you were saving up for a Nikon black 1000 scope. Great choice by the way. You want to shoot that grendel a loooooooong way, so it should probably have a great long range scope on it. Not a damn thing wrong with putting a "hubble" on that one. Hell, I equip all of my AR's with the Burris AR556 and AR762 4.5-14x42 rifle scopes. They work great and don't break the bank, but some may think they are a bit too big. If I were wanting to shoot past 600 yards, I'd opt for something like the Nikon you are wanting.

Right now the best price I can get on the Nikon black x1000 6-24x50 is $590, vs. $400 for the Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50. Of the two, I do prefer the Nikon X-MRAD recticle over the more complex Athlon A PLR1 SFP IR-MIL recticle- but I do know both offer other recticle options for these two scopes. I have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on my .308 Aero M5E1- the furthest I can shoot with this scope is around 600 yds. due to my old eyes. To be honest I'm willing to spend a little more for the better suited scope for my 6.5 Grendel, but of course the hard part is making the right choice. i know hunting is much different than long distance target shooting, but then again we are all trying to connect with the target, right?

Geno

The op said RIFLES he didn't say caliber or type.
I can see putting a scope on a AR but no need for a big one . UNLESS it a AR10 .5.56 HAS IT LIMITS .YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO SEE A MILE.BUT THAT DON'T MEAN YOUR GOING TO SHOOT A MILE

I think that is what these guys thought buy the big scope it make you the top SNIPER.
BUT they probably had no idea to set it up for shooting .put it on the gun and good to go RIGHT.LOL

There are lots of 'tactical dudes' who can buy great equipment but have little understanding of how to use it effectively. When at the range and I see others struggling I often offer a bit of advice. When they look at my target they are happy to take it.

It doesn't take a lot of time to impart some good sound shooting fundamentals onto those who don't know. If they are obnoxious or unpleasant about it than they can be left in their ignorance.

I love my 56mm scope though, amazing clarity and light transmission :)

Last Edited:
All this talk about going to the range. I'm going tomorrow dammit!! You are all invited. I wont' make fun of your big groups, if you don't make fun of my hubble...:D:p. Some of my buddies are starting a new AR challenge. Here's what I'll be bringing tomorrow:
PSLc4y9.jpg

I'm still not sure about the 308 though. She's not shooting as well as the others. She might just stay home.
d5nbqyP.jpg

Gots to get a moa all day long challenge going as well. Bolt actions are invited. Be sure to bring your hubbles. I'll be bringing my new 6.5 creed..;) ... Sorry, no pics of that one yet...

Last Edited:
Lol a six inch group at 100 yards lol what's that a 18 inch group or more at 300 Yards
That won't kill a deer

Last Edited:
Scopes do not "gather" light, they transmit light.
Gather is a vernacular term for those who are less technically oriented to intuitively understand the why of scope objectives.

Nikon is trash.
Thanks! I'll be sure to tell that to my buddy when he uses his Nikon Monarch on a Savage 338 WM to make one.hole.groups at 100.

All this talk about going to the range. I'm going tomorrow dammit!! You are all invited. I wont' make fun of your big groups, if you don't make fun of my hubble...:D:p. Some of my buddies are starting a new AR challenge. Here's what I'll be bringing tomorrow:

I'm still not sure about the 308 though. She's not shooting as well as the others. She might just stay home.
Nice bench! @bsa1917hunter , I wouldn't do that to your AR10. She might feel shaded and then you won't be gettin' any. :D

Gene, That is a good price on Nikon's BLACK X1000. Have you looked at the BLACK FX1000? You can get a 4-16x50 Non-illuminated model for $649 and right now Nikon has a Promo giving you a free BLACK Series mount with $139. Pretty great deal on 1 heck of a scope. I have one I just have yet to get it mounted on my Bergara 6.5 CM. The mount is excellent, great scope lock up and tough. Here's a pic of one with my BLACK X1000.

IMG_8873.jpg

I have no issues shooting out to 500 yds with a 3-9x40, 3-9x50, or a 1-6x24 Strike Eagle- these are the scopes on my AR-15s, and I'm quite happy with those. I have a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 on my Aero M5E1 w/a 20" Faxon barrel, but I seem to be limited to 500-600 yds (not sure if it's due to heat refraction off the desert floor, the scope, or a combination of both). In any case I want to reach out further, and it seems like I just need more scope to do that. I also have astigmatism- so maybe it's time for laser eye surgery as well.

Geno

This thread reminds me of an old joke I heard when I was a kid.

"White men build big fires and stand far away, while Indians make small fire and sit real close"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top