JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Around here, we call those pavement princess trucks... However, I've seen many AR type rifles with tiny scopes on them too and wonder how they are going to group well at even 100 yards. I look through my spotting scope and also see what you see. 5-6" groups at 100 yards... So what does this tell you???
One of my AR's has a 56mm scope because it is my dedicated coyote rifle that gets shot at night a lot. I have a tiny pair of 10X15mm Zeiss binoculars that work great in full light, are light and easy to carry but after twilight my 10X56 monsters (Huge and heavy) are far superior.

One of my AR's has a 56mm scope because it is my dedicated coyote rifle that gets shot at night a lot. I have a tiny pair of 10X15mm Zeiss binoculars that work great in full light, are light and easy to carry but after twilight my 10X56 monsters (Huge and heavy) are far superior.

I think the whole OP is funny. If you are going to sit by yourself and snicker at everyone who is not exactly like you, then that is sad. To be honest, I am a model 70 man (mainly pre 64) through and through, but there are guys that I shoot with that love their AR's. I don't hold that against them and don't give a chit what kind of scope they use. The only time I'll say something is when someone is being unsafe at the range or around my kids. Their scope size is entirely up to them. Generally when I hunt, I use a 3-9x40, but that doesn't mean everyone that I hunt with has to use the same scope I do... Heck, I have a semi auto 17 HMR that has a 4.5-14x42 on it. It helps me to see things up close and personal, even at 50 yards :D

Thank you @Argonaut for the insight! I will continue to stand by my statement that a scope does not gather light.

Scopes don't "gather" light, but merely allow it to pass through to the shooters eye. Some do it better than others, whether due to quality or objective lens or a combination of both. The ambient light is there, the scope determines how much to pass through to the shooter.

What are these things you call scopes and what do they do....?

DSC05463.jpg

just kidding ..I have a rifle with one...
A JC Higgins Model 50 ( FN Browning Mauser 98 Action ) in .30-06 with a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope.

DSC06725.jpg

I would say that at some times , places and with some folks...yes , they do think that they can buy skill or have the equipment do the work / skill for them...
But then some folks just are new and that is simply what they bought...

It pays in the end to learn your equipment and the skills behind its use...It can also pay to kindly offer advice and to teach a skill that might be lacking....if you think the other person may be receptive to it...
Andy

View attachment 485331

A JC Higgins Model 50 ( FN Browning Mauser 98 Action ) in .30-06 with a Leupold 3-9x40mm scope.

View attachment 485332

I would say that at some times , places and with some folks...yes , they do think that they can buy skill or have the equipment do the work / skill for them...

It pays in the end to learn your equipment and the skills behind its use...It can also pay to kindly offer advice and to teach a skill that might be lacking....if you think the other person may be receptive to it...
Andy

That's a beautiful rifle Andy..

I think many big game hunters are over-scoped. I don't want the weight, prefer my scope to be mounted as low as possible, and don't like how movement is amplified by higher magnification. I test loads with more x off a bench with butt bag, but rarely hunt with more than a 6x for deer and 4x for elk.

View attachment 485331

View attachment 485332

It pays in the end to learn your equipment and the skills behind its use...It can also pay to kindly offer advice and to teach a skill that might be lacking....if you think the other person may be receptive to it
Andy

Excellent piece of advice Andy. I wish more guys like you were around. In my earlier post, I mentioned shooting with a couple guys yesterday. They were complete strangers, but we had good conversation about our rifles. They were shooting their AR's, a m1 garand, a Beretta AR variant of some sort. And to be honest, they were doing just fine by themselves. One guy seemed to be a novice and the other was teaching him about shooting and safe gun handling practices. They were shooting at 50 yards and only hit the target (which I gave to them because they forgot theirs) a few times. They probably would have been happy to shoot a 6" group. They were curious about my rifle (a new 12fv 6.5 creedmoor) and how it shot at 100 yards. I felt bad when I walked back to the benches with my crumpled targets in one hand and my stapler in the other. They wanted to see the targets of how the new rifle did. Multiple 10 shot groups of less than 1", while they struggled at 50 yards. Was I snickering at them? Hell no... Like I said, it takes all types...

@bsa1917hunter im not as nice as you I guess, but thank you for saying the OP was funny. I got a kick out of it myself. #holierthanthou #castthefirststsone

@Argonaut I will tell you that a riflescope does not gather light, I can not tell you anything about the photography gibberish.

I do agree that shooters scope their rifles more often to brand, popular opinion and cost than to their skill- but admittedly cost is one of my main criteria when it comes to scope selection. If can't afford it, I can't get it. But shooter skill and ability to use what you have does go a long way in making a low power scope go a long way.

Years ago I bought this "high-end" Tasco 3-9x50 rimfire scope at Walmart before heading to the range, mainly because I had nothing on my AR and it was a whopping $6. Two years later it still works just fine, and lets me ring 8" steel plates at 500 yds. I originally had it mounted on another AR-15 with an A2 FSB, and I was having issues even getting 3" groups at 100 yds.- turns out the A2 was in the way. Lol.

Geno
Radical Aero_004.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews