Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Are AR15 sellers having a hard time accepting their rifles lower value now?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by 1stklass, Mar 24, 2013.

1. 1stklass

1stklass salem oregon Well-Known Member

so i have recently seen 3 online gunshops that have DPMS AR10s IN STOCK for around 1200 dollars.

Yet i see AR15s still being advertised for up to 2k dollars.

Are AR15s no longer worth their weight in gold and have their normal value closer to silver?

Plus 308 ammo is much easier to find

2. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

If you pick at it, it wont go away...

Russ1590 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. 1stklass

True! not so much picking at it, that was not my intent! Just sayin, if you have an AR now is the time to dump it for 1200 chalk up your loss and upgrade to an AR10!!! :thumbup:

4. speeddemon94

speeddemon94 The Rogue Well-Known Member

I do love the .308 and someday wish to build my own SASS, but for now I'll stick with the bolt gun.

1stklass and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Hank1215

Hank1215 Oregon New Member

My assumption would be some may be willing to pay more for an AR-15 that is not registered in their name. You can pay $1200 in the store, but now there is a record that you bought it.

6. Glock Jock

Glock Jock Wilsonville , OR Well-Known Member

I think we are quickly approaching the tipping point when the classifieds and store have filled up. Manufacturing on everything is up at the fastest pace they can and people can't keep buying like what happened from xmas through tax season where there can be surplus cash for things they wouldn't normally buy. I have seen a change just in the past week.

1stklass and (deleted member) like this.
  7. kumabear17

kumabear17 Issaquah Active Member

I don't think .308 ammo is that easy to find at least not for less then $1.25 on up. I am seeing 5.56 in the same price range of $1, but in stock. I think people lean toward the AR-15 style because they are counting on 5.56 ammo prices dropping back to the $400 per 1000 range, more to where you can afford to plink with it. People like the less kick of an AR-15 so the demand is still there. Now if .308's dropped back under 60 cents a round maybe the demand for AR-10's would go up. I like both.

8. 1stklass

I'm in molalla, so Wild Bills is about a mile from me. He hasnt raised the price on the Hornady which is all i like to shoot anyways. Almost every time i've been in there in the last few weeks he has had a pretty huge assortment of ammo. But i get the zombie max for 27.99 a box. I wouldnt pay 1.25 for crap ammo when i can spend a few cents more and get Hornady. I agree with the kick issue, i just love the 308 so much that i put up with her.... i mean it. :bluelaugh:

kumabear17 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. One-Eyed Ross

One-Eyed Ross Winlock, WA Well-Known Member

I haven't bought an AR yet, but would love to do so. Not that I think it's the best platform out there, but it is one that I am VERY familiar with using...(Thank you, Drill Sgt. Lott and all those years wearing a pickle suit)....

kumabear17 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Outrider

Outrider Oregon Active Member

Some people don't really keep close tabs on the market and others were only willing to sell if they could make a good profit on their stuff. If prices return back to normal, I suspect we'll see some of the safe queens listed at high prices taken off the board.

Things are still in motion. The chaos of the last few months encouraged people to accelerate their plans to purchase whatever firearm they were interested in obtaining. Now, they have them and paid a premium to get them so they have less cash to make other purchases. If the laws don't change too much, we could see a really slow market in the coming months.

I know Glock mags have returned to their normal pricing at some retail vendors and that's a good thing. I'm looking forward to the AR15s and PMAGs returning to normal as well.

11. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

My take on it:

WHO CARES!

EMP9596, Russ1590, mattdomes and 3 others like this.
  12. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

The value of my rifle before Dec, 2012 was "it can help to protect my family."

The value of my rifle in Jan, 2013 was "it can help to protect my family."

The value of my rifle today is "it can help to protect my family."

If your idea of value is only based on the dollars you can sell for, then when the SHTF, you're probably going to be just another pile of rotting flesh.

13. fxdc

fxdc Da Valley USPSA, SPEED STEEL, IDPA, 3 GUN

Sooo I have a .308 Beast to feed and belive me its Not cheap! Best gun show price I've seen since SHTF was 169 per 200rds at the rickrell show and I jumped on it.

And if ya reload do the math.... 1lb of powder yields abt 155rds in 308 and the same 1lb with .223 gives ya abt 255 rds. And yes it still is cheaper to load ur own. If you buy right, I Passed on some sm pistol primers at that show when the seller told me 10bks per HUNDRED!!!!
    I laughed and walked away!!!!!!!!

14. Goat Herder

Goat Herder Kent, WA Member

It's a free market and it will have a way of correcting itself. For those who bought a rifle during the frenzy would 1) sell their brand new, never fired AR at a loss or 2) simply hold on to them. The price will come down when the new inventory trickle in. Hopefully, low demand will drive down the price even further, toward the "norm". Yah, that last part might be wishful thinking on my part...

15. mattdomes

mattdomes Newberg Active Member

Delete

16. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

It's just another cycle....It will happen again and again and.....

And FWIW I will be picking up one of those DPMS AR10's soon too as I found them for just under 1K.:thumbup:

17. BATTERY

BATTERY Kalama Wa Active Member

I have a good memory. I found about 2 online stores who kept integrity and 2 local gun shops. I was not a customer before but I am now.

I will always follow low prices but a few places will just about have to give guns and ammo away for me to shop there again.

I smell opportunity! And vacant signs.. Love it!

18. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Just for the record DPMS does not make AR-10s. You can call the 308 AR an AR-10, but you'd be incorrect.

Let me know when you see AR-10s for $1200.

Bob D and (deleted member) like this.
  19. BATTERY

BATTERY Kalama Wa Active Member

By fall prices will be cheaper than 2012... Saturated market

20. Bob D

Bob D Oregon, Cascades Well-Known Member

That's why I've been slowly using my stockpiled $.32 ammo and making room in the safe.