JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't understand the huge, ugly logo on these. What's the point of buying a carry handle upper (to build a retro clone) if it has some disgusting company logo on it?
Don't try to understand it, ebrace it. Life is too short to be worried about ugly logos. Some buyers have received uppers without the logo.

Not sure about the particular pages or whether or not they will be in stock when you click the link but at least I thought I would help out a little.
Oh hell yea! Thanks! Those are the first 2 ive seen that are actually in stock for a decent price.

My first one was an A2 Carry. A buddy laughed, "no one buys those..." Glad I still have it.
Mine too. I had a Bushmaster "Patrolman Carbine" (or something like that). Unfortunately I sold it!

It used to be the A2 upper was just as common as the flattops. I am guessing the shortage now stems from a lack of forgings. Especially if the tool to make the A2 upper forging was mothballed. The lead-times to get everything back up and running could be over a year, and the demand may not justify the trouble.

These things seem to run in phases. Not that long ago, an AR with a handle was harder to sell than a flat top. Next time I turned around, everyone was looking for the older guns with a handle. For a while there, Brownell's was selling their BRN-16A1 "Retro Rifle" with a handle. Their site now says, "no longer sold as a complete rifle." An attempt at lawsuit avoidance? Post Las Vegas mass shooting decision?

They are harder to find these days, yes... mostly due to the higher demand for retro ARs.. I'm guilty too, I got a C7 A1 fixed upper from Brownell's a couple years ago when they had in stock for my 12" 6.5 Grendel AR project. Forge mark is the Anchor Harvey symbol (angled H, almost a triangle with a bar and open tip) . Seems a few other forges makes them in limited runs.

I have been trying to find an A2 style upper but all i find are the ones with rails that can accommodate optics and such. I feel like its starting to become an impossible task without having to pay some guy too much on gunbroker. Who else is having a hard time building a retro style rifle these days? I'd love your input on how to cope at this point
The market for everything clone or retro-related is bonkers due to the Instagram trendiness and all the people watching Administrative Results on youtube, going for "vibes"

I'd love to see an "80% A1/A2" upper... ;) you cut the feed ramps, and whatever else you need to cut before it's 100% done... then cerakote or anodized or powdercoat it. It would have the sight mounts milled out for you along with the main tube bore and barrel nut threading but you gotta finish the rest?

Edit
Of course this would require a bit more.. specialized machining and drilling jigs than the 80% lower does :rolleyes:

I have been trying to find an A2 style upper but all i find are the ones with rails that can accommodate optics and such. I feel like its starting to become an impossible task without having to pay some guy too much on gunbroker. Who else is having a hard time building a retro style rifle these days? I'd love your input on how to cope at this point
Not sure of this is what you are looking for?

Everyone seems to have forgotten about the original aftermarket AR-15 parts supplier: Model1 Sales. I'm actually surprised they are still around. Website hasn't changed in about 20 years.

If website hasn't changed in 20 years other than prices.... maybe they haven't updated inventory counts? Could email or call them and ask?

If website hasn't changed in 20 years other than prices.... maybe they haven't updated inventory counts? Could email or call them and ask?
I have done business with them recently, they are really quick and super easy to deal with, but admittedly, their web sight sucks!
I e-mailed them and they responded within a few hours and were eager to help, it's worth giving them your business!

I called and listened to the legitimate sounding answer machine. Reviews say its real but small company.
I went ahead and placed an order just in case they are real and disappear

UPDATE: DO NOT ORDER!!! I was charged shortly after I was emailed saying we are out of stock of a2 uppers but never a refund!!!

Last Edited:
Everyone seems to have forgotten about the original aftermarket AR-15 parts supplier: Model1 Sales. I'm actually surprised they are still around. Website hasn't changed in about 20 years.

Thank you so very much. These have been a nightmare pain trying to find

I bought my 1st upper from them, a 7.62x39 one. Ahh, mammories!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top