JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello, I just ordered an 18.5" barrel for my 80s wingmaster. I was thinking about getting a +2 extension but I'm not sure about their reliability, or if certain brands are better than others. I see mixed reviews online for all brands.

If anyone has any suggestions for extensions I'd appreciate it. I'd prefer blued as well.

I have a barrel extension on my benelli nova and one on an 870. Neither one has given me any issues. It does make it harder to remove the barrel for cleaning.

It isn't just aftermarket stuff that can be iffy. I had a stock Remington 870 7-shot with a stock extended magazine and plastic orange follower that didn't reliably function. Sometimes the follower wouldn't allow the extra 2 to actually be loaded. I replaced just the follower with a longer anodized aluminum option and have since found it to run without issue.

I would 2nd a Vang, but personally, I've never had issue with Remingtons OEM and I would imagine it would be the very best finish match.

One of the first things I do though with a stock 870 is swap out the spring and follower.

I never experienced problems...you just have to realize it makes the dang thing heavier!
Which is a good thing with a shotgun :D

20" barrel.

1981 police trade in so I can't say what the extension is but this gun is my go to defense when appropriate, so obviously incredibly reliable.

397E3942-9E53-4369-BEDB-585422A525F5.jpeg

1981 police trade in so I can't say what the extension is but this gun is my go to defense when appropriate, so obviously incredibly reliable.

It looks like a Remington factory 2 piece 3 shot extension.
Most definately remington OEM. As far as I'm aware OEM's are the only older mfg ones that have the forward bayonet adapter "nub" on the end.

I had issues with an unknown brand extension on my 870. Tried various followers and still had issues with it hanging up. Switched to factory Remington and a GG&G follower and life has been good with flawless function. Betting anything coming from Vang will work as well and will likely try one of theirs on another gun soon.

Most definately remington OEM. As far as I'm aware OEM's are the only older mfg ones that have the forward bayonet adapter "nub" on the end.
Sling point as far as I know. There is another on the bottom of the stock at the rear.

My biggest regret around this gun is not buying the 500 trade in of the same general era back when a $200 shotgun was on the high side and you could meet in the Safeway parking lot to do the "transfer" lol

Sling point as far as I know. There is another on the bottom of the stock at the rear.
I meant the smaller diameter end peice of the tube extension.. made to accomodate a bayonet. Most extensions are of uniform diameter the full length of the tube.
1679667677592.png

It isn't just aftermarket stuff that can be iffy. I had a stock Remington 870 7-shot with a stock extended magazine and plastic orange follower that didn't reliably function. Sometimes the follower wouldn't allow the extra 2 to actually be loaded. I replaced just the follower with a longer anodized aluminum option and have since found it to run without issue.
Same here. No issues after junking the orange plastic one and using the anodized aluminum one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top