JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quit worrying.
Next year, the plan is to lower the limit to 8.

See how that works?

wwf2ag.jpg

Aloha, Mark

Not all mags can be modified to normal capacity. Some can fairly easily, but not all. IE., glock mags have internal ribs that run the full length of the mag to reduce internal space. There is no practical way to make them anything but what they are.

Others use detents or pins to reduce capacity. Those can fairly easily be returned to standard capacity mags. It just depends on the limiter method being employed by the MFG.

PS90's take far more than 60 seconds, to do them right, but that style of limiter is indeed another method reliably returnable to full cap.

Easiest... don't waste your money on reduced cap mags to begin with. :s0155:

Wow, there are a LOT of misunderstandings and misinformation about 114 flying around.

Read the measure here:
Her are some of the misconceptions I'm seeing around the inter web, and my understanding of the law as I've read it. I'm not an attorney and I might be wrong on a couple of these - but I've thoroughly studied the entire measure and here is my take on a couple of common misconceptions:
  • You can't own a mag greater than 10 rounds - FALSE (but you are limited as to when you acquired it, where you can have it and what you can use it for)
  • Your rifle with an attached tube mag of greater than 10 rounds is illegal - FALSE for lever actions, FALSE for 22LR (lever or semi-auto), TRUE for non 22LR non-lever actions
  • You can replace the spring and follower in your standard capacity mag (greater than 10 rounds) to limit it to 10 rounds and you're legal - FALSE
  • BM 114 is like WA's mag limit law, e.g., you can carry a 11+ mag, you just can't sell, import, transfer, etc. - FALSE
  • BM 114 only applies to detachable mags - FALSE
  • You can transport your 11+ round mag to the range or hunting (and other approved activities) as long as it's not loaded or inserted into a firearm - FALSE (it has to be unloaded, not in a firearm AND IN A LOCKED CONTAINER SEPARATE FROM THE FIREARM)
  • Yada, yada, yada
I agree with the general sentiment here - it's a huge mess.

Take what you like and leave the rest. And read the law if you get a chance.

Cheers

Last Edited:
Not all mags can be modified to normal capacity. Some can fairly easily, but not all. IE., glock mags have internal ribs that run the full length of the mag to reduce internal space. There is no practical way to make them anything but what they are.

Others use detents or pins to reduce capacity. Those can fairly easily be returned to standard capacity mags. It just depends on the limiter method being employed by the MFG.

PS90's take far more than 60 seconds, to do them right, but that style of limiter is indeed another method reliably returnable to full cap.

Easiest... don't waste your money on reduced cap mags to begin with. :s0155:
It really depends on how the authorities define "readily". That will be different in different jurisdictions.

They hold eleven rounds without modification so...
Generally speaking,
- they are marked on the packaging as 10-round mags, yes?
- your receipt identifies the purchase as 10-round, right?
Any complaints should be directed to the manufacturer of the magazine; you are justified in relying on product descriptions as accurate, if there is no evidence of deceit.

.gov might try to compel a recall of such mags, but it is not your fault they might barely squeeze in an extra round.

Generally speaking,
- they are marked on the packaging as 10-round mags, yes?
- your receipt identifies the purchase as 10-round, right?
Any complaints should be directed to the manufacturer of the magazine; you are justified in relying on product descriptions as accurate, if there is no evidence of deceit.

.gov might try to compel a recall of such mags, but it is not your fault they might barely squeeze in an extra round.
And make sure the receipt is entered in as evidence at the trial.

"TRUE for non 22LR non-lever actions"

I believe this is false. Tubular magazines on lever actions are exempted regardless of cartridge type
Here's what section 11 (1) (d) says:
(d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload, but does not include any of the following:

(A) An ammunition feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable, now or in the future, of accepting more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(B) An attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with 0.22 caliber rimfire ammunition; or (C) A tubular ammunition feeding device that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

The exceptions listed are tube fed 22LRs (no limitation as to action) and tube fed "lever action firearm". So, that way the law could be read is that any non-lever action tube fed firearm (except for 22LR caliber) is NOT exempted from the law if the tube capacity is over 10.

That's just my take.

Cheers.

Here's what section 11 (1) (d) says:
(d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload, but does not include any of the following:

(A) An ammunition feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable, now or in the future, of accepting more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(B) An attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with 0.22 caliber rimfire ammunition; or (C) A tubular ammunition feeding device that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

The exceptions listed are tube fed 22LRs (no limitation as to action) and tube fed "lever action firearm". So, that way the law could be read is that any non-lever action tube fed firearm (except for 22LR caliber) is NOT exempted from the law if the tube capacity is over 10.

That's just my take.

Cheers.
You are 100% correct, I misread part of a sentence you wrote.

Here's another deal - my Ruger 10/22 mag couplers are now illegal "large capacity magazines". EDIT: NOT illegal, but NOT exempt from the definition of "Large-Capacity Magazines". Which means that I have to store them, transport them, use them, have acquired them, etc., just like my 15-round G19 mags.

Unknown.jpeg Ruger.jpg

So, I can run my 15-round Henry H001 lever action, but NOT 20 rounds in these two 10-round mags with a Tandem Kross coupler. Crazy, I tell ya.

Last Edited:
Here's another deal - my Ruger 10/22 mag couplers are now illegal.

View attachment 1312496 View attachment 1312497

So, I can run my 15-round Henry H001 lever action, but NOT 20 rounds in these two 10-round mags with a Tandem Kross coupler. Crazy, I tell ya.
Sad, but it doesn't say that the tube has to be run parallel with the barrel. I am thinking a tube shaped 25rnd magazine that plugs into 10/22 mag port and attaches with screw might be interesting. It would not be pratical but might meet the requirement of the exemption.

Pretty sure the law deals only with detachable magazines
Nope. And tubular magazines are excepted by capacity only on LEVER ACTION firearms and 22 rimfire firearms

"(d) "Large-capacity magazine" means a fixed or detachable magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, helical feeding device, or similar device, including any such device joined or coupled with another in any manner, or a kit with such parts, that has an overall capacity of, or that can be readily restored, changed, or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition and allows a shooter to keep firing without having to pause to reload, but does not include any of the following: (A) An ammunition feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it is not capable, now or in the future, of accepting more than 10 rounds of ammunition; (B) An attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with 0.22 caliber rimfire ammunition; or (C) A tubular ammunition feeding device that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

I do not see how these metal 10rd mags can fit more than 10 rounds of 5.56..... :rolleyes:

However I do see how .50 Beowulf or. 458 SOCOM ammo can make a standard "30 rd 5.56 " AR mag fit 10 rounds ;) :p

View attachment 1312164View attachment 1312165
I love my Beowulf, I use 30rd stainless 556 mags as they come to single stack 10rds of Beowulf.

Guess I need to stock stainless steel 10rd Beowulf mags..

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top