JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since the last thread was shut down. I'll leave this here.

Mind you that I'm NOT intending, nor do I want this thread to turn out like the last one. If you choose to comment....Keep it civil.

Aloha, Mark

Reminds me of the saying:
'By yielding to temptation, one may in a moment lose that which took a lifetime to gain'

That whole thing leaves a sick feeling in my gut when I think about it.
I don't know how real things were in the movie "Mississippi Burning", but stories like this sure look just like the movie. It's hard to swallow in this day and age.

1) "Stupid is as stupid does."
_R. White

2) It may be that Arbery had some nefarious intent, but even if so what they did was wrong on every level. Jogging is sometimes used as cover for recon, but there isn't any evidence that such was the case with Arbery. Basically these racist oafs accosted with guns somebody who was just running through the area. Even if they hadn't killed him this constituted felony assault. The only way I would deliberately aim/point a gun at somebody was because they presented an existential threat and leaving in peace wasn't an option. They got what they earned.

Just out of curiosity, did I miss the evidence that racism was involved? Or does every negative interaction between races automatically have to be racist?

Just out of curiosity, did I miss the evidence that racism was involved? Or does every negative interaction between races automatically have to be racist?
"One of the white men charged in the Georgia killing of Ahmaud Arbery used a racial slur after shooting the unarmed black man, an investigator testified in court"

Yeah you missed it. And two white hillbillies in a truck with guns chasing an unarmed black man on foot….yeah…..pretty sure Ace Ventura could have pieced this one together.

Yeah you missed it. And two white hillbillies in a truck with guns chasing an unarmed black man on foot….yeah…..pretty sure Ace Ventura could have pieced this one together.
I'm guessing we will get some more details in the upcoming hate crime trial. Everything I've heard is pretty weak. Putting people in neat little boxes like "hillbillies" and "unarmed black man" doesn't help though IMO.

I've heard someone say the problem is that some people can't see legitimate racism, and others see racism in everything. I think there's alot of truth to that, and it's worse now than it's been in my lifetime.

The question is, would they have felt compelled to chase anyone on foot? From my perspective and dealing with theft and car prowls in my own neighborhood - everyone with perceived criminal intent is treated the same regardless of skin tone.

The truth of the matter is that if you take race out of this situation, it would have never made national news.

Having lived in the south for several years in the late 90's/early 00's, coming from the northeast, two things were blatantly apparent to me:

1) there's a percentage of the native southern population that still hadn't let go of losing the Civil War

2) racism was alive, well and very healthy. The further from major metropolitan areas the stronger, more severe and more dangerous that racism became

As a "northerner" I wasn't readily accepted nor welcomed everywhere. Parts of the south are living time capsules…. Just this ole guys personal experience…

Having lived in the south for several years in the late 90's/early 00's, coming from the northeast, two things were blatantly apparent to me:

1) there's a percentage of the native southern population that still hadn't let go of losing the Civil War

2) racism was alive, well and very healthy. The further from major metropolitan areas the stronger, more severe and more dangerous that racism became

As a "northerner" I wasn't readily accepted nor welcomed everywhere. Parts of the south are living time capsules…. Just this ole guys personal experience…

My personal opinion is this was 100% racially motivated. Those good ol' boys went vigilante against a black person in their neighborhood. The evidence is overwhelming. I think trying to argue this wasn't a hate crime is really reaching.

The question is, would they have felt compelled to chase anyone on foot? From my perspective and dealing with theft and car prowls in my own neighborhood - everyone with perceived criminal intent is treated the same regardless of skin tone.

The truth of the matter is that if you take race out of this situation, it would have never made national news.
Possibly because they never would have chased down a white guy.

It came out that the crime Arbury was *suspected* of committing was trespassing - a misdemeanor crime. The police are on record stating they had hoped to give him a warning.

The McM's chased him down, held him at gunpoint, and ultimately killed him over their perception that he was the one to have commit this trespass - as I understand it, none of them were eye witness to the misdemeanor event.

They turned over the film to the cops. Had they not filmed the event, they could have made up whatever story they wanted and it would be 3 words against a dead man. They'd be walking free today.

This tells me that they had complete faith in their actions. They thought they had the right to restrict another man's free movement at the very hunch that he *may* have commit a crime, and a non-serious one at that.

What do you think their thoughts would be if the situation were reversed? What if it were Arbury and friends holding one of them at gunpoint while they walked around. Do you think they would think it was okay or do you think "criminal kidnapping" would be crossing their mind?

Thinking that you are completely in the right to take away another man's liberty on your whims is a complete and utter misunderstanding of rights and liberty, and I don't see how a person can arrive at that conclusion without first thinking that the man they intend to take rights from is not, in fact, a man but some lesser being not deserving of equal treatment.

That, in short, is racism.

Of course, but in your neighborhood are they jumping in pickup trucks and chasing down the perceived criminals with shotguns? Rhetorical of course. They had no "right" to chase him down, no obligation or otherwise. They made the choice to grab guns and go after him. They knew full well what the outcome could be. And was.

"One of the white men charged in the Georgia killing of Ahmaud Arbery used a racial slur after shooting the unarmed black man, an investigator testified in court"

Problem with this is. News sources lie, purposely leave out pertinent information, embellish and atempt to anger and incite people to "actions". I won't won't take anything, from any so-called "News Source" as being truthful any more.

No one knows what was in the hearts and minds of those men, except THOSE men. I've been in the position of extreme anger because of being a crime victim. Had I got the opportunity way back then I think I may have shot the guy. skintone would have had nothing to do with it. It never got to that point again and the guy was caught. He happened to be a black man. He ended up getting himself shot 5 years down the road victimizing someone else.

Problem with this is. News sources lie, purposely leave out pertinent information, embellish and atempt to anger and incite people to "actions". I won't won't take anything, from any so-called "News Source" as being truthful any more.

No one knows what was in the hearts and minds of those men, except THOSE men. I've been in the position of extreme anger because of being a crime victim. Had I got the opportunity way back then I think I may have shot the guy. skintone would have had nothing to do with it. It never got to that point again and the guy was caught. He happened to be a black man. He ended up getting himself shot 5 years down the road victimizing someone else.

But they weren't victims. He hadn't done anything to them. They were going off some info about a possible trespass. In an unfinished home where no crime was committed. Even the builder of the new houses said nothing was missing or disturbed. So they took it upon themselves to determine a crime was being committed and also to be the judge, jury and executioner. Yet no crime was committed. So what was their motivation? A black man in THEIR neighborhood, and by golly they weren't going to just leave that be. Yeah. It's racist in my opinion. It's quite obvious really.

But they weren't victims.
It was said in the beginning there were theft/burglaries in the area. That makes victims. My main point is we don't know for sure what was in those men's hearts. Unless you consider yourself some kind of clairvoyant? That'd be a good trick.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top