JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies to my questions. Just dawned on me that I probably should make a separate thread so it's not messing with Reno's existing thread? I don't know what the protocol is, but I sure appreciate the information. I've been reading up on these things over the last couple days and am a bit information overloaded.

While recreational use of the PCC will take place, I'd also like to get involved with Steel Challenge as I think it's still something I could do (physically), and there appear to be places in my area (sort of) that offer such. I'm looking at the SCSA/USPSA rules and it says...

What division do you guys usually run? And what type of rifles are used by the various competitors? In addition to the ones we have been talking about so far?:)
No problem jumping into the thread. I don't mind.

I've been competing in Rimfire Carbine Open before I got over to Tri County with this guy. This guy is considered Pistol Caliber Carbine Open or PCCO. It's essentially due to the optic.

There are a variety of rifles being used. Most popular seems to be an AR15 based. Sig MPX is a very popular choice at the range. I think I saw another guy in another squad running the Ruger PC Carbine too.

There is a whole thread in the competition part of the site dedicated to Tri County and their speed steel competition. I recommend reading the whole thing as there is lots of good information in that thread.

At our local Speed Steel match, my bro and I both shoot AR9's. We've used a Hi-point 9mm carbine in the past. I've also seen a Kel-Tec Sub-2000 9mm, a couple CZ Scorpion's, and a few Sig MPX's mixed in. I would say nearly all of us shooting carbine's, are shooting PCC-O (Pistol Caliber Carbine-Open). Basically everyone is running a optic of some type.

@spookshack, that's outstanding that you and your brother get to spend time together like that. Trigger time none the less.
I hope that after I get some speed steel under my belt, my young adult son will join me eventually. He is a disciplined pistol shooter and I think he would enjoy the competition. Though I suspect he would eventually gravitate to one of the move-and-shoot disciplines.

I've been reading up on the 9mm endo mag retrofit deal. Put new guts into a gen2 pmag and then can use in a standard AR lower. Both good and bad reviews out there. Part of me wonders if a certain major magazine manufacturer would take note of the rising popularity of 9mm in the AR platform and make a dedicated 9mm AR magazine? Do you guys see anyone using these endo mags in competition yet?

Reading through the rules again, I'm for some reason still confused on barrel length. I always thought a carbine rifle had a 16" barrel, but I could have sworn I read something about there being 'No minimum barrel length'?

Do competitors shoot in more than one category (maybe rifle and pistol) in order to get more trigger time per match day?

Thanks

Endomags work pretty damn good. The only downside is the requirement to only insert them with the ar locked back out of battery. They seem like they will not last long term due to the flimsy nature of the plastic used but I have 750 rds through one without trouble. I think you will see magpul or another manufacturer eventually step up to the plate with a mag just for the ar9.

At our local gun club (Tri-County Gun Club) barrel length does come into play insofar as pistols with braces are indeed considered pistols and as such, all centerfire pistols as per match rules, are required to start from the holster. I suppose it's possible but I have yet to see a speed holster made specifically for an AR9 pistol with a brace! Lol

Keep in mind that this is for the Speed Steel matches at TCGC and since I don't shoot other disciplines /matches, I'm unable to give any insight as to how they run/do things.

As to shooting with my bro, I enjoy it immensely. I also have a ton of fun shooting with my Speed Steel buddies...:)

There's a member here on the forum that has a thread/review on the Endomag. It's on my radar and will be giving it a try here in the next few months. I should have my Stern Defense M&P adapter tomorrow and hopefully can get it tested ASAP. I'll post up my thoughts/results for both here.

Endomags work pretty damn good. The only downside is the requirement to only insert them with the ar locked back out of battery. They seem like they will not last long term due to the flimsy nature of the plastic used but I have 750 rds through one without trouble. I think you will see magpul or another manufacturer eventually step up to the plate with a mag just for the ar9.

Are you the one that did a review of it awhile back here on the forum?

+1 on the unloading sequence. Could prove a little problematic in a competition setting (unload and show clear).

Yes having the ejector built into the mag makes clearing the weapon a bit challenging with the endomag removed and may not be ideal for certain gun games. I also have a joe bob dedicated pc lower that takes glock mags and it probably would be better for some of these competitions. They both work great though and my wife and I have a blast using my pair of ar9's on a dueling tree.

So I've completed a 200rd evaluation test on the Stern Defense M&P specific mag adapter.
Unfortunately, it was not trouble free out of the box. The issue was the LRBHO lever was locking back prematurely with one round still in the mag. Since this adapter is for a match setup, this particular issue would not cause an issue at a match as I always change mags after each string and said mags have sufficient capacity that I have never ran them so low as to where I would go dry or nearly so.

After removing the adapter and replacing the 9mm upper with a 5.56 and after checking a couple things, I was able to determine that the culprit was most likely the adapter.
Stern Defense provided a glossy palm sized card in the shipping box stating that they hope I like the product but if I have any problems, to please contact them via the email provided and give them an opportunity to make it right. So, I promptly sent them an email (after hours) stating basically what I said right here.

They replied around 8am today saying it should be a simple fix and that I should adjust the LRBHO lever upward and let them know if that helped. Well to make a long story short, after several attempts at home and on the range for live fire testing, I was indeed able to get the lever to it's sweet spot and have lock back on a EMPTY mag. I'm confident that the issue is now resolved and can give it a clean bill of health. I'm also quite happy with the positive experience I had with customer service at Stern Defense. :s0155:

In conclusion, these mag adapters at nearly $200 bucks, are not cheap and the price maybe a deal breaker for some but I do feel that it's well built and worth the price of admission if you are wanting to run M&P mags. After all, the options out there to run M&P mags via a dedicated lower or the use of an adapter on a standard AR lower are slim to non existent.

I will be using the adapter in an upcoming speed steel match to see how it performs.
My next project (at least a few months out) is to buy the Mean Arms Endomag kit and run it through it's paces and then eventually try it in a match.

Last Edited:
On the topic of the AR9 I have been interested in building one for quite sometime and when I do have time I am in search of barrels. I have found one website that I do not necessarily trust that builds barrels. I have been searching up the wazoo for 6.5" 9mm barrels. Any help? Ballistics wise, these seems to be the sweet spot with 9mm. I may just bite the big one and go up to a 7.5 or down to a 5.5. The next problem is handguards. I personally prefer the muzzle device exposed so I do not have to remove.the handguard to swap devices. Build is narrowed down but the 6.5" 9mm barrel appears to be impossible to find. 6" is available but the shrouds either end up too short or too long.

The SLR ION Lite handguards feature a wide range of lengths.
SLR makes the handguards for Quarter Circle 10, one of the top pistol caliber AR builders.

Using Criterion barrels...

DD
Who is now accepting Bass Pro as well as the traditional Cabela's gift cards for his excellent Internet Answers.

:)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top