JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking at getting a ar9 with a pistol brace. This is going to be a range gun for me and also my son. The LGS has a diamondbackfirearms that comes with a ten inch barrel. Has anyone shot one or have any other recommendations? I do want it to use Glock mags is my only qualifier.

Palmetto state armory has insane deals on complete guns.

Primary Arms carries Foxtrot Mike products which I've found to be extremely nice. @11Charlie has one he might chime in.

There are literally too many these days. Picking a complete model can be difficult.

Building your own could be pretty fun too.

Primary Arms carries Foxtrot Mike products which I've found to be extremely nice. @11Charlie has one he might chime in.

There are literally too many these days. Picking a complete model can be difficult.

I had a bad experience with a PSA gun and wont buy one. Maybe I'll just buy the diamondback and see how it goes. I try to buy exclusively from my LGS so they stay in buisness. They have so far treated me fairly on pricing.

Could I suggest the Extar EP-9?

I heard about them last year and that they were getting rave reviews, but I couldn't really justify one.

Then Washington did their 1639 BS so I decided I would get one just to make a point.

They are an incredible value at $419 direct from the manufacturer in Arizona, which is the only way to order one. They were in very high demand and it took me a couple of weeks of waiting until they filled their stock at 5pm, three days a week, and refreshing the web page until one was available. Took about two weeks for it to arrive at my FFL.

I have fallen in love with the thing! Incredibly light, accurate, reliable, and just a hoot to shoot.

Extar EP9 9mm Glock Mag PDW - $419 - Buy Factory Direct

3018.jpg
1762.jpg
I just looked at they actually have them in stock right now.

I modified mine to suit my tastes and it gets a lot of compliments...

IMG_20190424_162338315 (2).jpg

I had a bad experience with a PSA gun and wont buy one. Maybe I'll just buy the diamondback and see how it goes. I try to buy exclusively from my LGS so they stay in buisness. They have so far treated me fairly on pricing.
Look at the Diamondback and then look at the Foxtrot Mike.
Shopping
I think you get more for your money with Foxtrot Mike.

The Diamondback looks like it has some kind of bolt-on mag catch system.
The Foxtrot Mike has a billet upper and lower.
Advantage : Foxtrot Mike

Last Edited:

Great pistol especially for the money. Can't go wrong. Cheap to shoot and accurate. One of my best purchases and easy to conceal in my truck on road trips.

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with PSA. I love my AR9's from them. They have been great. One is colt pattern mags and the other is Glock mag platform. I also have an AR45 from joe bob and it runs well also. A bit more to feed but uses Glock mags and should suppress nicely.

All the AR9s I am aware of are direct blow back (Sig MPX excepted), they don't have enough gas to cycle a DI system. They should all run suppressed without any issues.
I cant find anything on the thread pitch for the modek mentioned. I may just be looking for an excuse to buy the zenith mp5 clone though.

I cant find anything on the thread pitch for the modek mentioned. I may just be looking for an excuse to buy the zenith mp5 clone though.

If you're looking at this particular model the thread pitch is indicated as 5/8x24

DB9RBB - Diamondback Firearms

As for the Zenith vs AR9 piece, I can give my 02c. While I have not shot that specific AR9 as mentioned most of them are essentially the same gun with varying degrees of component quality in them (trigger, handguard etc).

The Zenith or other MP5 clone will have superior (softer) recoil impulse thanks to the roller delayed blow back system. It's essentially one of the softest recoiling 9mm sub-guns you can get. Here are the trade offs to get that (in my opinion):
  1. No last round bolt hold open.
  2. You'll have to buy gun specific magazines (no Glock magazine options etc).
  3. Somewhat inferior ergonomics (safety manipulation, magazine well, magazine release).
  4. Less modularity for add on components. Some MP5 variants have a pic rail incorporated to the top of the receiver which is much better than the weird claw style optic mounts. The Zenith has an in-between which attaches the pic rail via a set mount, I'm not sure how robust it is.

The AR9 will have the same manual of arms (for better or worse) than a regular AR so you have that going for you.

If you want the best of both worlds type scenario there's the CMMG Guard/Banshee lineup, which has it's own delayed blowback system in essentially AR platform.

The B&T APC9 Pro (new version) can take Glock mags and has a hydraulic buffer assembly on the rear of the receiver and is more reminiscent of a "new and improved" MP5.

For me, personally, the MP5 will always have that action movie nostalgia and there's little substitute but I also am not going to own one in Full Auto where that best-in-class recoil impulse really comes in handy.

If I wanted to buy a new 9mm PCC, I'd have a hard time not getting something from CMMG or if I was willing to spend up, B&T.

You can get a 3 lug adapter in most thread pitches, and there's always that mag release hand slap that can get super cheap via the CZ Evo :)

I would look at the scorpion as well. Mags aren't Glock pattern but they are cheap ($20) and reliable. Love mine...

I sold my AR9 because my Scorpion was so much more fun to shoot. It was no competition for me. I let my wife shoot them back to back and she definitely felt more confident and consistent with the Scorpion.
Then again, my Scorpion isn't exactly stock...
20181121-124440cw16.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads