JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just as the title says, Im looking to get one, Iv had an AR15 and sold it and was thinking og picking up another one, but kinda like the idea of a 308 on the AR platform. What are your thoughts if you had the option to buy both?

As much as I'd like to add an AR10 to my safe, I'd go with a 15 simply based on the cost of rounds.

For me, it would depend on what I was using it for. If it is a target rifle, a rifle for defense or hunting.

For close quarters, I'd like the AR15 in a carbine. For a target rifle, either rifle would suffice. For defense, the AR15 can be deadly out to 500 yards in the right hands, as would the AR10.

For hunting small game, the AR15, Big game the AR10.

Well I dont shoot alot, and i dont hunt, but for some reason i want an AR10 (maybe just for the fact its a bigger caliber?) and i wont use it for Home defense either, so i wont have to worry about that

I wanted an AR 10 just before the panic, SHould have bought it, didn't. The some family challenges ate up the rainy day fund for it. So I compromised and built my own 15. Decent compoNents, BCM 14.5 1 in 7 twist White Oak LPK, ALG Combat Trigger, Magpul furniture (except for stock) and B.A.D. I still =want a 10 for SHTF and the missus will use the 15. I'd like to have the ability to really reach out and touch OPFOR if I can. I hope I can afford one before the next in sanity. I watched the LR 308b from DPMS got from $1050.0 to $1399. to $1500 IF you could find one. 308 is a great round. if I can't afford one I'll spend 5 to 600 sniperfying my 30.06.

Brutus Out

AR 10, easy choice

I have an LAR 8 Rock River, that takes FAL mags. That thing is the Harbinger of Death. It'll reach out as far as I can effectively shoot, has 30 rd mags for suppressing platoons and shooting helicopters out of the sky. .308 can pierce engine blocks and superman's cape too. And all while making your ears bleed with double hearing protection on because of the muzzle break. You know, a usual Saturday.

But seriously, if I could only pick one AR platform from my herd, that would be the one.

I got a little panicky after things dried up due to Sandy Hook, and was thinking I just HAD to have an AR 15 or AR10. Then I looked into my safe, saw my 70 year old Garand. A satisfied smile crossed my face and my "HAD to have" moment passed quickly.

Most AR10s haven't impressed me over the AR15 I would rather have a NON Springfield MIA.FAL and especially a SCAR 17. I like the minimal recoil of the 223 though the 308 does everything a 223/556 can't.

I got a little panicky after things dried up due to Sandy Hook, and was thinking I just HAD to have an AR 15 or AR10. Then I looked into my safe, saw my 70 year old Garand. A satisfied smile crossed my face and my "HAD to have" moment passed quickly.

Yeah, eff you. Hee, hee. Yeah, a Garand would be the ticket. I wish I never would have told a good buddy of mine he had a Gewehr 43. An old teacher had given it to him and I might have been able to talk him out of it for a few hundred. He had no idea what it was till I showed him on the internet. Would also be a great SHTF rifle with that Mauser ammo in a 10 round detachable magazine . I am sure it would kick like a mule.
Was looking at the Remington semi autos but I don't think the barrels are made for sustained rapid fire nor the actions.

Maybe Santa Claus and the tooth fairy will join forces and get me An AR 10 clone for Christmas...
Brutus Out

The last time this question came up I ended up selling my AR10 and got an AR15.
What got me thinking was putting 400 rounds in my backpack with other needed survival items and I couldn't move. I can carry 1000 rounds of 5.56 and all my other needs.
At 500 yards if you get hit by either you are not getting back up and if you do you're still out of the fight.

What are you going to be using it for? One thing to think about with the .308 platform AR is WEIGHT. They are HEAVY, and to reach out you'll need a decent scope which adds to the weight, and any accessory you attach to it (like BUIS as a minimum). Not to mention loaded mags.
I don't know if I'd want to hump one around all day for hunting, let alone any type SHTF scenario where you need to bug out and stay mobile. But for range work they are great.

AR 10, easy choice

I have an LAR 8 Rock River, that takes FAL mags. That thing is the Harbinger of Death. It'll reach out as far as I can effectively shoot, has 30 rd mags for suppressing platoons and shooting helicopters out of the sky. .308 can pierce engine blocks and superman's cape too. And all while making your ears bleed with double hearing protection on because of the muzzle break. You know, a usual Saturday.

But seriously, if I could only pick one AR platform from my herd, that would be the one.

Now I want one even more! :)

I bought both. the 15 for the Wife and the 10 for me. Mine is a Armalite with a 16" SS barrel, GREAT trigger. I like the shorter barrel over a 20" or 22" one as it handles better. I don't see myself in many truly long range scenarios with open sights. I carried both calibers in RVN and thats all I need to know. I did have a hard choice between the 10 and the Springfield M1A SOCOM. I believe the AR platform has a very small edge, so it's the 10 for me.

I love the amount of 5.56 ammo I can carry for the same weight of 7.62, but that's not enough to make me confident. I'll take that heavy 'ol 7.62.

Well I dont shoot alot, and i dont hunt, but for some reason i want an AR10 (maybe just for the fact its a bigger caliber?) and i wont use it for Home defense either, so i wont have to worry about that

I don't think I can call what I do any kind of honest "hunting," (maybe one of these days I'll actually harvest something) and I shoot a medium amount (a few times a month, but generally I'm more focused on my handgun).

That said, I ended up going with a 7.62 NATO rifle for my evil black rifle of choice for a few reasons:

1. Versatility: .308 can take down anything I'd hunt. Within its limitations, plenty - and I mean plenty - of people have taken elk with them.
2. Barrier Penetration: If the balloon goes up, and I've got to use the gun in a situation where people are shooting back at me, I like the full power nature of the round, especially out where 5.56 starts to loose some of its poop.
3. Ammo Weight / Capacity is a False Concern: If I'm in a firefight, as a lone individual, if I have to go through more than the 80-120 rounds I'd be carrying on me, I'm dead - or else going to be in bad shape. In the same context, I'm sure as hell not clearing any houses. I harbor no fantasies of running around a bombed-out, apocalyptic Portland with my load bearing equipment and a 210 loadout of 5.56.
4. Ammo Cost: It's not as cheap as 5.56/.223, which is again not as cheap as 7.62x39, which in turn isn't as cheap as 5.45 surplus. But you can still find surplus for around 60¢ if you're patient. Comparatively, 7.62x51 is more expensive than the other popular calibers, sure, but in the big picture, it's not a deal breaker. That said, depending on how serious you get with your training (and by extension, your volume of rounds fired), those ammo cost disparities are the biggest argument in favor of the smaller rounds (or 54r).
5. Length/Size/Weight a Nonissue For My Needs: I'm not rolling out of a vehicle or going on 40 mile, multiple day patrols with a 150lbs pound pack. My odds - personal guesses, YMMV - of having to bug out all in an instant, much less on foot, are very, very low. So for my uses and contingencies, a full size rifle rather than a carbine isn't going to be a problem.

I think Gabe Suarez with Warrior Talk is onto something with his General Purpose Combat Rifle concept in this regard (Part 1 and Part 2).

As an individual, 7.62x51 make a lot of sense for me.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top