JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Home from travels for a few days, did some tests suggested in this thread.... long story short its the UTG scope.

No promises I will buy anything soon but need something to home in on. Help me decide on a new scope for this rifle... Im not a tactical operator and more of a practical hunter. This is my "freedom rifle" though so Im wide open but I see myself more using this as a backup hunting rifle than anything. I have a 30mm cantilever mount with thumscrews since I also enjoy using the open sights. I lean to simple hunting style reticles and want a variable starting in the 1x low end. Bonus points for an illuminated reticle...
At the top of my list in the "buy once cry once" category is the Leupold VX®-3HD CDS 1.5-5x20mm firedot. Im a huge Leupold fan but this is a bit over my budget.... Next is the Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 ...if I could be convinced to spend the coin it would be between these two.
At the very bottom of the list is a budget friendly Primary Arms 1-4x24 SPF illuminated... simple, cheap but I could work it. No idea if its another lemon so be brutally honest...
Help me pick a scope for this rifle... convince me to "buy once cry once" or show me a good but budget scope in between.
Are you completely set on a LVPO?

Pretty much. Seems like the best scope option for this caliber. I want something I can shoot out to 300yds and still have the low power field of view for close shooting.
Just checking. LVPOs in my opinion are a compromise and as much as I have truly tried to like them, they don't do either of the two things they are designed to all that great in my opinion.

The PA SLX series LPVO's have been good for me and what I need it to do.
I started with a 1-6 then changed scopes on my .308 and now use the 1-8 that it had.

Quite a bit of LPVO's out today to choose from from budget (China) to higher quality scopes.

Not an LPVO but the Primary Arms GLx 2.5-10X44 that recently came out looks pretty nifty.
About $600 so it's not cheap but doesn't require kilobux to have it.
[h3][/h3]

to follow up on this I 100% confirmed today it was the cheap UTG Accushot scope. Of all the things I would have guessed would break early on a cheap scope would be a turret fall off or easily scratched lens or something, but not running out of elevation. Thats like the ultimate of fails for even the cheapest of scopes.

I wound up getting a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 and it has way more elevation than needed. 25yd initial zero in 2 shots, moved out to 100yds and was grouping within another 2 shots of final adjusting.

"buy once cry once"... sometimes I win sometimes I lose, but if I added the cost of the cheap UTG to the price of the Vortex I coulda got an even better scope overall...

0911212059.jpg

I hate to say I told you so………..

J/K :D

I'm glad you figured it out and even happier that another UTG optic found its way OFF a real firearm.

I'm glad you figured it out and even happier that another UTG optic found its way OFF a real firearm.
Oh... you were right all along. No more cheap optics, not worth even experimenting with.
The Strike Eagle seems like a decent entry scope for what I need, it will be fun to learn that fancy "BDC" reticle.

You mean airsoft scopes aren't "quality" for firearms?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top