JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
hey guys ive never owned or had any experiance with ar stuff but thought i might get into it and need some advice. i found a mega brand lower with colapsable stock for $330 is this a good deal and are the megas any good? also what should i expect to pay for a good uper,any avice on which one to go for? the gun would mainly be used for plinking but i want it to be reliable for defense and good for around 2 inches at 100yds.:)

Nothing wrong with those lowers and that is about the price you should be looking to pay. Lowers are going for around $200 parts kits are around $70 and stocks are... eh so $330 aint to bad.

As for uppers it really just depends, i picked mine up for hella cheap and it cost me less than $600 total to build my ar with a chrome lined barrel, look around and see what you can find

as for 2 inches at 100yds, thats all up to you.

Mega is very high quality. $330 isn't bad in today's market for a complete lower - I'd jump on it if I were you.

You can get (or build) a truly top tier upper for around 600 incl. the bolt group and irons. You can spend less and get away with it though.

"Top Tier" brands I'd recommend:

Bravo Company
Sabre
LMT
LaRue
Noveske
Colt

Just as good for everyday use (some nicer than others...):

Stag
CMMG
S&W
Spikes
Rock River
Armalite
Bushmaster
DPMS
Doublestar
A few more I'm forgetting...

Things to look for, barrel wise - 4150 steel or chrome-moly vanadium, M4 Feedramps (not truly necessary but most want them), F front sight base (if going flat top, doesn't apply to LMT), chrome lining (some don't want it, I say get it - easier to clean, longer life, negligible affect on accuracy). If you're really going for accuracy stainless is a good choice too.

Most any good AR can shoot two inches at 100 with fairly average chromed barrel if the shooter does their part, IME.

Good luck finding an upper right now, though things seem to be letting up a little. Might I suggest going to Bravo Company's website and signing up for e-mail notification on one of their uppers and a bolt group (and watch your email like a hawk). I think they're getting in a few 16" carbine uppers soon. Or perhaps call around to a few vendors and see what they have. I find Rainier Arms and PK Firearms often will have what I'm looking for - both their websites have up to date inventory status so just keep looking often for what you want to come in...

whew long post, hope that helps... :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top