JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Weird, a Mil Spec Chamber should feed everything; clean, dirty, rusty, shellacked, frozen, or otherwise not clean and fresh! I usually try not to feed them crap ammo, but I do want to know that they will run on it if I was forced to use it for what ever reason! Maybe this was a learning experience for you while things are still pre-SHTF! Might be hard to find a decent Mil Spec Barrel right now, but i'm sure if you look hard enough, you should be golden!

I hate to say it, even though it is likely the ammo at issue here, it does point to an issue with your rifle for the purpose you intend it for, and that means it's gonna need some work!

Exactly, I'm thinking out of spec barrel. Give @Velzey a call I bet he has a proper 5.56 chamber reamer.

I hate to say it, even though it is likely the ammo at issue here, it does point to an issue with your rifle for the purpose you intend it for, and that means it's gonna need some work!

Im probably not gonna replace the barrel over this. The Aquila ammo fires, I will probably finish up the box and just not buy them anymore.
Id be fun to see if my Aguila ammo sticks in another AR (but I only have 1..) or perhaps it was just a bad lot of Aquila.
hard to know.

Ha, beat me to it, was just gonna say to call Tim and see if he might be able to help sort things out for ya!
Actually, further thought, why not upgrade to a Wylde Chamber while he is working his magic!

+1 on velzey, man honestly if shtf and you find a stash of Aquila ammo you're screwed ;):):)
not totally screwed. It fires the Aquila, its just very hard to extract an unfired round.
Visually the same as another brand. Calibers measure the same, I dont own a micrometer though. No unusual marks on the brass or bullet. Not certain what to look for other than that its just hard to imagine that 3 different brands of ammo run smooth but 1 brand does not.

not totally screwed. It fires the Aquila, its just very hard to extract an unfired round.
Visually the same as another brand. Calibers measure the same, I dont own a micrometer though. No unusual marks on the brass or bullet. Not certain what to look for other than that its just hard to imagine that 3 different brands of ammo run smooth but 1 brand does not.
I'm just funnin ya! We've all had our AR issues! Shoot just not to long ago I put some parts in backwards in my lowers I was building!

This is the closest archive I can find to what I ordered in 2016. Mine has what they called their "socom" barrel, basically a heavy barrel, everything else appears the same, 16"bbl, 1/7 twist.

What kind of scares me about that is they put chrome moly 556 Barrel highend and give no explanation as to why it's high end. Most AR companies will go through a process on their page explaining why there Barrel is superior such as top quality CNC machines ect ....just my two cents but I'm broke:) I don't think what you have is bad and I'm not bashing you but that was just a red flag for me.

What kind of scares me about that is they put chrome moly 556 Barrel highend and give no explanation as to why it's high end. Most AR companies will go through a process on their page explaining why there Barrel is superior such as top quality CNC machines ect ....just my two cents but I'm broke:) I don't think what you have is bad and I'm not bashing you but that was just a red flag for me.

I found my receipt, mines a "4150CMV Mil-B Spec Steel Barrel"

No idea what that means I just choot the thing. :)

Guys if its only having problems with one kind of ammo, Before you start reaming or replacing the barrel just stop using the ammo that it does not like. It's really just that simple.

Guys if its only having problems with one kind of ammo, Before you start reaming or replacing the barrel just stop using the ammo that it does not like. It's really just that simple.
Eldbillbo what's you're opinion on the steel used for the barrel 4150CMV Mil-B Spec Steel never really herd of it honest question?

You mean like this?

From BCM's site....
These are stripped 16" Mid Length Cold Hammer Forged Barrels with gas ports installed and dimpled for a strong gas block installation.

Cold Hammer Forged Barrels
This process of manufacturing barrels has been used for European small arms for generations, and it is gaining popularity in the United States because of the increased barrel life and outstanding accuracy of a hammer forged barrel. The BCM BFH series of barrels are made right here in the USA! (Just like all the BCM products.)

M4 Feed Ramp Barrel Extension
In developing the USGI M4 carbine as one of the primary weapons for todays infantry, some modifications were performed to the original M16 platform to enhance the reliability of the shorter barreled carbines. With the shorter carbine gas system and the increased gas port pressure, the carbine cycled faster, and at times the cycle rate could be faster than the magazine would feed ammunition. One of the modifications done to increase reliable feeding included enhancing the angle and the length of the feed ramps. This USGI modification was done to both the barrel extension and the upper receiver, creating a longer and steeper feed ramp. These Mil-Spec M4 feed ramps are part of the original CNC manufacturing process. As a result, the factory machined M4 feed ramps on the receiver are hard coat anodized which adds significant strength to the aluminum. This feature is offered on all BCM barrels.

USGI 1/7 Twist Rate
The USGI 1/7 twist rate of all of the BCM barrels is the preferred twist rate by most professional infantryman. This twist rate has proven very versatile and can effectively run the new heavier 5.56 ammo that is hugely popular with military and private security personal for its superior ballistics.

Mil-Spec Barrel Steel (Mil-B-11595E)
BCM barrel steel is Mil-Spec per MIL-B-11595E. This grade (CMV) of steel is a Mil-Spec steel used in the USGI M16 family of rifles; it is stronger and will last longer than the typical barrels offered in the commercial market. The Mil-Spec grade steel gets its additional strength and rigidity from an increase in carbon and/or vanadium in the alloy. This will offer increased barrel life and performance through use in all types of extreme environments and temperatures.

Chrome Bore and Chamber
One of the first modifications that were made to the original M16 in the mid 1960s was the addition of the chrome lined bore and chamber. It is now a world wide standard in the industry for a battle rifle. The chrome bore and chamber is harder than the barrel steel and on the USGI M16/M4 rifles will aid in chambering, extraction, and reliability. It increases velocity, and also resist against fouling and corrosion from extended use in the field. This gives the end user a longer barrel life with less required time in maintenance and cleaning.

Manganese Phosphate Barrel Finish
Barrels are parkerized with the manganese phosphate finish (Mil-Spec A-A-59267). Military specifications also state that the entire barrel surface is phosphate finished to create a porous surface to absorb oil as to resist against corrosion from the elements. BCM barrels are phosphated before installation of front sights. This is a much more extensive assembly operation, but insures that the entire barrel is finished and protected . . .even under the front sight base.

5.56 NATO Chambers
The USGI 5.56 NATO chamber is the best choice for effective deployment, reliability, and compatibility, of higher chamber pressures of military ammo.

Government Barrel Profiles
Duty rifles are built to be carried - day in and day out. The USGI barrel profiles (often referred to as the Government Profile) enable the operator to carry their weapon for longer periods of time and deploy them faster than the heavier commercial H-Barrel counterparts. The government profile barrel is also compatible with the current M203 mounting systems.

HPT / MP Inspected Barrels
Military specifications require that barrels undergo a HPT (High-Pressure Test) load as a part of quality assurance procedures. Commonly referred to as a proof load, the M197 HPT is rated for 70,000 psi. BCM barrels are proof loaded and then MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) to detect any possible flaws in the barrels surface. The barrels are MP inspected with both circular and longitudinal magnetic fields per ASTME1444-01 (current Mil-Spec) to assure a high quality finished product. All BCM barrels are marked HP MP as our proof load marking.

Copyright 2009 Bravo Company MFG, Inc.

From Centurion's site....

Midweight Hammer Forged Barrel, Midlength, .750 Gas Journal
THESE SERVE AS HBAR SERVICE BARRELS. HBAR ENGRAVING AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION
Cold Hammer Forged Barrels

Hammer forging is a process in which a drilled, reamed and honed blank has the rifling formed into it by placing the barrel blank on a mandrel that has the rifling ground into its outer surface. The blank and mandrel are then placed between two opposing power hammers and the blank is beaten around the mandrel leaving the rifling pattern in the barrel. This process leaves an extremely smooth and consistent surface on the inside of the barrel, that lends itself to excellent accuracy. The forging process also work hardens the barrel steel causing a very durable and much longer lasting barrel. Our barrels have a slight taper to the bore during the hammer forging process to ensure better accuracy.
Midweight profile is .750 under the handguard and .740 in front of the .750 gas journal.

Chrome lined chamber and bore
The hard chrome used to coat the chamber and bore are harder than the barrel steel itself. This aids in longevity and also reduces fouling and corrosion often seen in austere field conditions. Chrome also aids in chambering, extraction, and overall reliability of the weapon. Thus, giving the operator a more reliable weapon with less maintenance. We have our chrome lining applied to twice the thickness of standard small arms barrels.

Barrel steel
The steel used in our hammer forged barrels was specifically developed as machine gun barrel steel to help increase the barrel life under prolonged rigorous firing schedules.

Twist rate
We use a 1/7 (1 turn in 7 inches) twist rate in all our barrels. This is the best overall twist rate for this weapons system. The 1/7 twist will stabilize any of the light weight 5.56 bullets as well as any other twist. This twist will also stabilize the newer heavier bullets that are being used allowing the operator to get the best performance out of this weapon system.

Chamber
We use a true 5.56 chamber in our barrels allowing the operator the ability to use the higher pressure military ammunition on the market and helping to enhance reliability.

Feed ramps
Our barrels are supplied with extended M4 style feed ramps to enhance overall feeding and weapons reliability.

Finish
The barrel finish we use is a manganese phosphate finish (Mil-Spec A-A-59267). This finish allows for better absorption of oils to help prevent corrosion. These barrels are all finished prior to any gas blocks being mounted to ensure the entire surface is covered to maximum protection even under the gas block.

HPT/MP inspected

HPT(high pressure test) is a process where a proof load rated at 70,000 psi, far exceeding a normal round, is fired trough the barrel then the barrel is MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected) to detect any flaws in the barrel steel from the proof load. These are standard quality assurance tests performed on all our hammer forged barrels to ensure the highest quality product.

Weight

16" Midlength 1lb 15oz stripped

Eldbillbo what's you're opinion on the steel used for the barrel 4150CMV Mil-B Spec Steel never really herd of it honest question?

It really depends on its intended use or possible use . I think the steel is important but so is the manufacturers reputation and quality control. I have no problems with cheaper barrels for plinking and target practice but I prefer 4150 mostly for its ability to handle heat and stay on target and for its longevity but to each their own.

Last Edited:
I would sell that Aguila ammo as a super rare and special, one time only batch, never to found again for $2.00 a round.

Last Edited:
You should try measuring the Aguila round COAL vs the others. If it is too long overall, the bullet could be stuck into the rifling, making it difficult to remove unfired, but once you shoot it, the bullet is gone, and the case ejects normally. I had this problem with Aguila 9mm in my CZs only. Every other pistol shot them fine, but I heard that CZs have a shorter chamber than most.

Last year I had an AR in that also didn't function properly with Aquila ammo. After inspection of the rounds, the rounds were out of spec in the neck area. I can't remember exactly what the dimension was. The neck thickness was almost .002 bigger than everything else. Had to abuse the charging handle to get the stuck live round out of the chamber.

I had contacted Aquila about it and sent a few rounds in. Never heard back from them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top