JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Load a round, decide to not fire it. Put safety on, remove mag and go to pull back the charging handle.... no joy. Really hard to pull back, no luck. Pull even harder it finally goes.

What would be the cause of this?

Reloads or factory?
Bolt carboned up heavy?
Super tight match chamber, or out of spec/wrong ammo?
:s0092:
factory ammo, Aguila brand... I think this is it. So I tried 3 other brands and smooth sailing.

Why would Aquila be different?

Well this is interesting. Winchester 223 fine. Nosler match 223 fine. Federal American Eagle XM193 fine.

Aquila FMJ, sticks hard.

I cleaned it and relubed, same prob. Will check obstructed chamber... but for what or how? It will chamber and fire...

Could be a sliver of brass wedged on the chamber wall.
Was it working fine before and just starting having the issue or is this a new build and has been doing from the start? If it the latter case I'd say out of spec chamber.

Could be a sliver of brass wedged on the chamber wall.
Was it working fine before and just starting having the issue or is this a new build and has been doing from the start? If it the latter case I'd say out of spec chamber.
I cant see anything with the bolt removed. I cleaned it with a chamber brush too.... I dont think anythings in the chamber.
Cycling it seems to happen only with Aquila ammo. Everything else is smooth as silk. Built it in 16 and never had issues.

Sounds like it, I feel better now... kinda. I mean there goes my "eat anything" idea of a SHTF rifle. Are ARs picky about ammo?
Some are some aren't! I think it's hit and miss. My shtf ar eats everything and begs for more but my old BCM was not into steel case at all. My shtf rifle is a mutt though!

Depends on the AR. What is the barrel?
Complete upper and barrel mfg by Hardened Arms... went out of business a couple years ago.
Its been a great rifle though I havent shot it much very accurate for my ability, first time with Aguila brand ammo though.

From what I've read harden arms have had alot of quality control issues!!!

would love any links on them, cant find anything on them anymore now they are out of business. Back then they were fairly new, a scant mention on this forum and a few happy customers. Im pretty convinced now its the Aquila ammo, maybe it has a tigher chamber IDK...

Weird, a Mil Spec Chamber should feed everything; clean, dirty, rusty, shellacked, frozen, or otherwise not clean and fresh! I usually try not to feed them crap ammo, but I do want to know that they will run on it if I was forced to use it for what ever reason! Maybe this was a learning experience for you while things are still pre-SHTF! Might be hard to find a decent Mil Spec Barrel right now, but i'm sure if you look hard enough, you should be golden!

I hate to say it, even though it is likely the ammo at issue here, it does point to an issue with your rifle for the purpose you intend it for, and that means it's gonna need some work!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top