JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have three AR15 one of which is a delton sport lite a very cheap fire arm which I recognize however saying that it is accurate enough to hit clay birds at over a hundred and fifty yards and has been very dependable so far. Makes a good truck gun. I figure I will replace the upper when needed. My point being is determine what you need and buy accordingly. I trust this cheap gun from the shooting I have done and I dont have to baby it. I would not treat my SR556 the same way.

I buy what I like and can afford without needing to baby it. That doesn't mean I am going to purposely abuse my guns, but I'm not afraid of some wear and tear. if something breaks, it means I needed an new, better one anyway.

What makes it inferior? A lack of chrome-lined barrel in the non-premium lines, but the freedom line has a melonited barrel, depending on which one you get. No idea about PTAC. Premium has a chrome-lined barrel and is CHF.

Aside from that, name. The name Colt or Daniel Defense has mystical properties that increase reliability tenfold and makes the rifle so sexy your eyes would melt by looking at them (okay only the latter is true, maybe, possibly). Jokes aside, really sometimes you do pay extra for the name. Which isn't always bad, you're paying for that name for a reason. Sometimes anyways.

Really, regardless of what you get some issues really can be solved in a garage with some beer and time. If you have the tools. PSA isn't really inferior, but I guess that's debatable.
my now $2500 PSA out performs my buddies $3100 warsport (stock LVOA)in accuracy, felt recoil, muzzle rise,speed, weight, and price if that says anything.

drives me crazy when people buy a cheap gun to shoot and stash a sweet battle gun in the safe ......don't want to scratch it lol

from the safe ,to padded case....to truck.....to bench....to padded case , "oh its a DD, don't want to hurt it"
......run that thing, try some dynamic shooting, try some hikes with your gear....throw it up on a rock for a rest

If I loose it ( have it stolen from a vehicle ) I am not going to be happy but it won't be as hard to replace as my nice one. I probably shoot my Sr556 more than I do the Delton. Its just the way it is.

I thought you were trying to say you're afraid of damaging it. I can understand that concern, I don't use a .308 as a truck gun but if I did it would be a relatively cheap one. My truck has been broken into a few times already so I get it.

If I knew it would never get stolen I would have a fn fal in the vehicle. I prefer a 308 over a 223 any day.

Meh, to each their own. Personally I like the 5.56/.223 more than the 7.62/.308, but I find myself shooting my PWS more simply because it feels better. Heavy though.

I've found that fit/finish mark the difference between big $ ARs and the others.

Barrel quality is another thing, especially when you get into specialty applications.

But just for a grab & go carbine... Its not going to matter.

My first at was a DPMS upper (A2 16" gov profile) over a no-name lower (local shop ordered them with their logo, no idea on actual mfr)

I shot the hell out of that thing... Over 3k through it and I wasn't always diligent about cleaning. Sitting mostly steel case too.
That thing ate it up, was more accurate than me and was what sold me on ARs.

I sold it on GB when Obama go elected and it went for 2x what I paid new.

Really though, there may be negligible quality differences on basic setups, mostly cosmetic imo. They do look impressive though.
Under 200m, you'll never know the difference

My RIA GI spec 1911 outshot my Kimber custom 2... Same day, same shooter, same ammo. 2:1 price difference

Bottom line, spend what you're comfortable spending on the features you want to have.

Oh, and practice! A disciplined shooter with an average rifle will out shoot a lazy shooter with a $2000 rifle anytime.

Someone said earlier in the thread that chrome lined barrels are overrated and Id say there is some truth to that assuming you use quality non corrosive ammo, dont overheat the gun, and clean it diligently.

So, for your average AR buyer I would say chrome lining is essential because they arent long range match shooters, often use crap ammo, dont always clean their gun and sometimes dont even keep moisture off it.

I prefer a melonite barrel over chrome lined tbh... I don't use the best ammo, and I still don't bother with chrome lining. Then again if we're talking strictly 5.56 you won't find ammo that is corrosive, unless its old surplus. 7.62x39 or 5.45 sure, even then its up to the person.

And I'm probably part of the "average AR buyer" crowd. I don't clean after every range trip, there are times where I get up to a thousand rounds without cleaning.

I'm curious too. I replaced a pitted barrel on my Bushmaster Varminter with a 24" stainless bull barrel from Fulton Armory, and I'm happy with the results on the range, but the weight is a bit much for lugging over the hills when coyote hunting. I'd like to find a quality upper for it with a lighter weight, possibly shorter barrel.

If you like the Fulton Armory barrels, you should consider the Fulton Armory Phantom-L upper. Great anodized and teflon coated upper, fantastic Diamondhead VRS-T handguard ( they are truly awesome ), and a lightweight 20 inch barrel that is the same brand as your bull barrel.

<broken link removed>

PhantomLUpper2.JPG

I prefer a melonite barrel over chrome lined tbh... I don't use the best ammo, and I still don't bother with chrome lining. Then again if we're talking strictly 5.56 you won't find ammo that is corrosive, unless its old surplus. 7.62x39 or 5.45 sure, even then its up to the person.

And I'm probably part of the "average AR buyer" crowd. I don't clean after every range trip, there are times where I get up to a thousand rounds without cleaning.

As long as there is some sort of coating/treatment/lining that makes the gun easier to clean and makes it more resistant to corrosion. That goes for stainless steel barrels as well. I've seen plenty of rusty stainless steel.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top