JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That's what I was trying to say before, before I shat all over for a differing opinion.
Depending upon what you bought, a brace may or may not fit on the buffer tube you have.
The tubes made specifically for braces will not accept a standard telescoping stock.
They are slightly larger in diameter than a mil-spec (rifle) buffer tube.

So apparently the SBA3 and SBA4 are not braces now huh? Because they most definitely fit a mil spec receiver extension and that is not my opinion, it is a fact.

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

I never said that the SBAs were NOT braces, Chief.

@Tony617 the bottom line is you need to choose the brace you intend to use and an pick an appropriate RE. If you want am SB3 you want a standard milspec carbine or A5 RE, if you want something like a tailhook a "pistol" RE is what you want, a KAK has their own propriety RE. Again, bottom line, choose your brace, it WILL dictate your RE, period.

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

I never said that the SBAs were NOT braces, Chief.

No you are saying this...

The buffer tube on an AR pistol will be slightly larger in diameter (like, 0.05" or less). It's enough so that you can't put a mil-spec telescoper on it, only a brace.

And it is an incorrect statement.

ETA: I went back and read all of our back and forth posts, I believe we may saying the same thing but is somehow being lost in translation. I inferred (possibly incorrectly) you were saying a pistol needed a pistol RE that is larger in diameter so it would not fit a standard collapsible carbine stock and as I mentioned the SB braces do fit a standard RE.

Last Edited:
"You are ignoring this user."
:s0013:

Last Edited:
@Tony617 the bottom line is you need to choose the brace you intend to use and an pick an appropriate RE. If you want am SB3 you want a standard milspec carbine or A5 RE, if you want something like a tailhook a "pistol" RE is what you want, a KAK has their own propriety RE. Again, bottom line, choose your brace, it WILL dictate your RE, period.

I have ordered a black SB3 brace. Sorry I thought I mentioned that on my previous post.

I have ordered a black SB3 brace. Sorry I thought I mentioned that on my previous post.

You may have, it came/will come with a standard mil spec tube. FYI they don't come with dry film lube as per "real" mil spec if you care about that sort of thing. I changed mine out with an OD Colt RE, otherwise I would have gone with an A5.

And depending upon the style of your castle nut wrench, you might find that it won't work on the pistol tube.
You'll need to get a CN wrench just for the pistol tube, or use ChanneLocks (very carefully, and with the jaws taped up with several layers of duct tape).

You just need a spanner type wrench, I have found a BCM barrel nut wrench is just the ticket.

It a prebuilt Aero 10.5" upper that has the standard barrel nut on it already.

MI, Troy, Daniel Defense and Centurion all make free float rail the use standard GI barrel nuts. I'm partial to the Centurion C4 which is now available in M-Lok, but they're pretty spendy.

I think Fortis does too but I have zero experience with them

Since a completed 80% receiver isn't registered as a firearm or other, what's legally stopping someone from going back and forth between pistol and rifle?

Last Edited:
Since a completed 80% receiver isn't registered as a firearm or other, what's legally stopping someone from going back and forth between pistol and rifle?

A completed 80% receiver is called a receiver. The answer to your quest is "nothing". It doesnt matter who finishes the machine work. A receiver is a receiver. Its an other until you make it a rifle or pistol and you can go back and forth. .

Who do you get this registration stuff? When a licensed manufacturer ( not a "maker" ...you ) builds a firearm he assigns its gender as pistol, rifle or other ( Not counting NFA ) . If it was originally excise taxed by the 07 Manufacturer as a rifle then you as the end user cannot make it a pistol. Thats it. End of story.

Fight club rules :s0001:

Aero 10.5" upper:

39764FD3-E4C3-462A-936A-D58E9CC3D434.jpeg 4808699F-E1C9-42EF-9F3D-4FB6553061E9.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top