JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hate to hijack this thread. In Washington, if you buy a stripped lower and its sold as "other," can that still be taken home same day in Washington? Or is there a waiting period now, I haven't bought a new firearm since the law took effect. As a CPL holder, I know about the new waiting period, I just don't know if it would apply to a stripped lower sold as other.

so if he registers it as a rifle does that mean you can build it as a pistol?
absolutely not - once that lower is registered as "Rifle" it can only be built as a rifle.
Most FFL's I've used, by default, will record a stripped lower as "Other", so you can build either a pistol or rifle.

What did I win?
TitsRitz.png

Hate to hijack this thread. In Washington, if you buy a stripped lower and its sold as "other," can that still be taken home same day in Washington? Or is there a waiting period now, I haven't bought a new firearm since the law took effect. As a CPL holder, I know about the new waiting period, I just don't know if it would apply to a stripped lower sold as other.

My FFL sent me an email and my lowers should arrive today. There is a backlog on the NICS system so not sure how long the BGC would take. There are no LEO or sheriff involved for the stripped lowers transfers yet.

My FFL sent me an email and my lowers should arrive today. There is a backlog on the NICS system so not sure how long the BGC would take. There are no LEO or sheriff involved for the stripped lowers transfers yet.

Might see if I can pick up an Aero. I really want a Noveske Gen III but those are hard to find for some reason. Finally have all the parts my Spikes build coming in - it's been a 5 year build.

A lot of Aero lowers were out of stock well when I ordered as well .

Well bubblegum. I stopped looking at parts when I got the last pieces for my current build last week. I suppose things are getting a little more scarce than I had thought.
Its kind of nice when your not constantly refreshing because you have everything you need.

Now, I simply don't have everything I want, i've been dealing with that for years now so... its all good.

OK. Deep breath.

An (01 FFL) dealer doesnt register ANYTHING when you buy a gun.receiver etc. ( at least with the ATF . Some states are different ) You and he fill out a 4473 that goes into his files. The ATF doesnt get a notification or "registration" of what just happened. ALL stripped lowers that get sold by the FFL should have "other" checked on the 4473. Even lowers that have buttstocks attached are just stripped lowers with some parts attached. They are not rifles. They are not rifles and they are not pistols. The words "rifle" and "pistol" are legal terms and for something to be considered a rifle it has to have all the attributes of a rifle such as a shoulderable buttstock and a 16" or longer barrel etc. If your dealer checks something else he's doing it wrong. In any case it doesnt matter. "Manufacturers" ( another legal term designating an 07 FFL holder ) pay excise taxes when they build a gun . Those are tax records the ATF has access to. If a gun is built as a rifle the ATF knows that. If it is built as a pistol the ATF knows that. If it is built as a bare receiver and sold as such the ATF knows that too. What the dealer puts on the 4473 form truly doesnt matter. When the ATF does a trace they know exactly what it sold to the dealer as and unless the dealer was an 07FFL and paid tax on it after having assembled it or that was done previous to the dealer selling it by the original manufacturer then it is a "other" and the end user can build it any way he pleases rifle or pistol or back and forth thanks to a few different precedence setting cases that have come before the courts.

Sometimes dealers do stupid ( illegal) stuff. They assemble guns either by themselves for sale or for customers. Big no no unless they pay that excise tax and obtain an 07 FFL. Only an end user can legally assemble his firearm without obtaining an 07 FFL. If your dealer assembles a rifle and he doesnt have an 07 license and sells it to you as such that doesnt mean that it is legitimately "manufactured" as a tax paid "registered" rifle.

Sometimes I guess they could break up rifles and sell bare receivers from legitimate tax paid rifles. I suppose not very often but it could happen. Its one of those things that used to happen during the assault weapons ban. Might still happen in ban states. That puts their customers at potential legal risk. If it looks like a used receiver get a bill of sale and keep it. Not necessarily the 4473 but at least a bill of sale showing the dealer represented the receiver as an "other" . If you live in Connecticut and you buy a preban Colt receiver for $1500 because your state says it has to be "pre ban" for you to own it you cannot build a pistol out of it legally.

Anyone want to discuss 80% receivers and how they are no different than regular receivers once completed and how you dont have to engrave anything on them when you sell them as a private sale in most states and how you actually can sell them as assembled rifles/pistols? Thats always a fun conversation.

Last Edited:
so if he registers it as a rifle does that mean you can build it as a pistol?

absolutely not - once that lower is registered as "Rifle" it can only be built as a rifle.
Most FFL's I've used, by default, will record a stripped lower as "Other", so you can build either a pistol or rifle.

So you buy a 1911, some buffoon behind the counter marks "rifle", do you have a rifle or a pistol?

Hint: Read the post above by @wired.

Last Edited:
1911 as a rifle- right- that's a realistic and likely example, well done you.
If you or anyone else wants to build a pistol from something sold as a "rifle" knock yourself out.....
As I said mine are all "other".

I'd get the Aero, since you already have the BCG and CH you wanna use, and the Aero upper is gonna be totally sah-weet!
Get a Magpul hand guard to match your grip and you're G2G. Except that the Aero is out of stock... :oops:

When you say "tube", I'm assuming that you're referring to the gas tube, yes?
That's not going to be an issue in your case, since you're purchasing an assembled upper.
What you might have to contend with is the differences in the buffer tubes between rifles/carbines and pistols...

The buffer tube on an AR pistol will be slightly larger in diameter (like, 0.05" or less). It's enough so that you can't put a mil-spec telescoper on it, only a brace.
And depending upon the style of your castle nut wrench, you might find that it won't work on the pistol tube.
You'll need to get a CN wrench just for the pistol tube, or use ChanneLocks (very carefully, and with the jaws taped up with several layers of duct tape).

ETA: buffer tube diameter difference

They had the 10.5" Aero upper receiver in
stock so I ordered one. I have A2 flash hider, and some Troy Industries flip up battle sights already. Also bought pistol brace buttstock.I just need to decide on hand guard now will to be an MLOK since I have light mount already. Is the tube size the connects to the buttstock the same diameter as what rifle takes?

That's what I was trying to say before, before I shat all over for a differing opinion.
Depending upon what you bought, a brace may or may not fit on the buffer tube you have.
The tubes made specifically for braces will not accept a standard telescoping stock.
They are slightly larger in diameter than a mil-spec (rifle) buffer tube.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads