JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Your FFL should designate the stripped lower as "other" when the transfer is made. If he doesn't I'd be finding a different FFL.

agree....

does anyone know if its possible for an FFL to look up what he registered a stripped lower as? I wouldn't mind knowing myself as I wouldnt mind the option of building a pistol.

I would think so, since the FFL would have the record of the sale and the SN to match it up with the lower.
Isn't that how police can come back to an FFL and trace the gun back to the buyer?

Or am I misunderstanding your question...? :confused:

@sobo thats what I was thinking, I guess its a matter of how busy or cool they are with digging into their files. Not certain if they would go to the trouble, and then... is there any reason a customer couldnt get a copy of the 4473?

@Koda I suppose it would also depend on how friendly you and your FFL are.
I know mine would, given how much bid'ness he's seen from me over the years... :rolleyes:

The "garden variety" FFL (Cabela's, Ace Hardware, etc.), mebbe not so much.
Unless, like you say, they aren't busy.
But those days may be behind us for a while...

Regarding the 4473, I would think that since you affixed your (electronic?) signature to a document, you are entitled to a copy.
In essence, it's a contract, and you should be provided a copy if you ask for one. Whether or not they go back through those records now, hard to say.
Besides, aren't the answers on your 4473 the same every time? And don't you have them memorized yet? :D

Last Edited:
I sent my FFL an email and when bought my lowers previously he always registered those as "others". So I guess I could take the tube off and put an arm brace in and buy an fully assembled pistol upper.

@Koda I suppose it would also depend on how friendly you and your FFL are.
I know mine would, given how much bid'ness he's seen from me over the years... :rolleyes:

The "garden variety" FFL (Cabela's, Ace Hardware, etc.), mebbe not so much.
Unless, like you say, they aren't busy.
But those days may be behind us for a while...

Regarding the 4473, I would think that since you affixed your (electronic?) signature to a document, you are entitled to a copy.
In essence, it's a contract, and you should be provided a copy if you ask for one. Whether or not they go back through those records now, hard to say.
Besides, aren't the answers on your 4473 the same every time? And don't you have them memorized yet? :D
it was a small local FFL so maybe I will have luck. It was a few years ago now when I didn't know of the "other" designation could apply to a lower for pistol building at the time I planned on building a rifle. Ive never been asked if I wanted to keep a copy of the 4473 though for anything Ive bought, never thought about needing a copy of that but it seems like if someone wanted to build a pistol it would be a good record to have. If the FFL or law allows us to have a copy... dunno.

What kind of pistol uppers receivers are there? With the buy frenzy there is not many available. I already have lower parts kit from BCM, a Magpul MOE-K2 grip, Tool Craft BCG, and a charging handle.

I found one here and there is an 18 day backlog. I do not want pay that much but seems pretty reasonable since I have lower parts already. Is the tube the same length as the carbine? I have a few tubes as well but this is my first AR pistol.

556 NATO Pistol Upper Receiver Assembly % AR15TAC.COM

10.5 Inch Compact Upper - 5.56 KM Tactical AR 15 Gunbroker

I found in Primary Arms but they are out of stock:

Aero Precision Barreled Upper Carbine 5.56 No Handguard - 10.5" APAR501911N2

I just need a hand guard and I already have some A2 flash hiders.

Thank you

I'd get the Aero, since you already have the BCG and CH you wanna use, and the Aero upper is gonna be totally sah-weet!
Get a Magpul hand guard to match your grip and you're G2G. Except that the Aero is out of stock... :oops:

When you say "tube", I'm assuming that you're referring to the gas tube, yes?
That's not going to be an issue in your case, since you're purchasing an assembled upper.
What you might have to contend with is the differences in the buffer tubes between rifles/carbines and pistols...

The buffer tube on an AR pistol will be slightly larger in diameter (like, 0.05" or less). It's enough so that you can't put a mil-spec telescoper on it, only a brace.
And depending upon the style of your castle nut wrench, you might find that it won't work on the pistol tube.
You'll need to get a CN wrench just for the pistol tube, or use ChanneLocks (very carefully, and with the jaws taped up with several layers of duct tape).

ETA: buffer tube diameter difference

Last Edited:
I'd get the Aero, since you already have the BCG and CH you wanna use, and the Aero upper is gonna be totally sah-weet!
Get a Magpul hand guard to match your grip and you're G2G. Except that the Aero is out of stock... :oops:

When you say "tube", I'm assuming that you're referring to the gas tube, yes?
That's not going to be an issue in your case, since you're purchasing an assembled upper.
What you might have to contend with is the differences in the buffer tubes between rifles/carbines and pistols...

The buffer tube on an AR pistol will be slightly larger in diameter (like, 0.1" or less). It's enough so that you can't put a mil-spec telescoper on it, only a brace.
And depending upon the style of your castle nut wrench, you might find that it won't work on the pistol tube.
You'll need to get a CN wrench just for the pistol tube, or use ChanneLocks (very carefully, and with the jaws taped up with several layers of duct tape).

I already put an email notice for the Aero pistol upper to notify when the item is in stock.

The buffer tube on an AR pistol will be slightly larger in diameter (like, 0.05" or less). It's enough so that you can't put a mil-spec telescoper on it, only a brace.

ETA: buffer tube diameter difference

I'm not sure where you are getting your "facts" but they are wrong.

Although "pistol" receiver extensions are available a standard carbine receiver extension can be also legally be used on a pistol. SB Tactical's SBA3 of one of the most, if not most popular pistol braces on the market and it come with a 7075 mil-spec carbine receiver extension.
SBA3™ | SB Tactical

Not arguing here...
Why don't I correct my post to say that a buffer tube on an AR pistol can be larger in diameter, OK?
And I stand firm that the second sentence of mine that you highlighted is not wrong when using a pistol buffer tube.

I'm just mentioning the fact that some people might like to install a pistol tube so that there is never a chance of putting a telescoper on it, thereby staying within the BATF regs.

There was a thread a coupla years ago where this very topic was beat to death.

Last Edited:
Stripped lower are NOT considered rifles. If you have an FFL telling you otherwise, you need a new FFL.
there are 3 options on form 4473; handgun, rifle and other. Thats all I know. Once you purchase it its one of those three legally... (im not 'really' counting handgun here...)

I personally dont consider a stripped lower anything on its own....

But the BATF considers it a firearm.

Not arguing here...
Why don't I correct my post to say that a buffer tube on an AR pistol CAN be larger in diameter, OK?
And I stand firm that the second sentence of mine that you highlighted is not wrong.

However, just mentioning the fact that some people might like to install a pistol tube so that there is never a chance of putting a telescoper on it, thereby staying within the BATF regs.

There was a thread a coupla years ago where this very topic was beat to death.

It doesn't matter what "some people" might like, one does not need a pistol receiver extension on a pistol to comply with the law.

there are 3 options on form 4473; handgun, rifle and other. Thats all I know. Once you purchase it its one of those three legally... (im not 'really' counting handgun here...)

And a stripped lower is an "other", not pistol and not a rifle.

But the BATF considers it a firearm.

yes, legally its a firearm. technically what ever part the serial number is on (not all are on lowers...)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top