JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yes, but do not put a pistol upper on a rifle lower receiver - even if you put a pistol brace on it. In fact, don't put the pistol brace on the rifle lower either. If the lower receiver starts life as a rifle it must remain so unless you fill out the proper forms. A pistol lower can be converted back and forth without problems per the ATF.

This is my opinion, just to be clear; it's not intended to be used as legal advice.

Yes, but do not put a pistol upper on a rifle lower receiver - even if you put a pistol brace on it. In fact, don't put the pistol brace on the rifle lower either. If the lower receiver starts life as a rifle it must remain so unless you fill out the proper forms. A pistol lower can be converted back and forth without problems per the ATF.

This is my opinion, just to be clear; it's not intended to be used as legal advice.
legally u can put a PISTOL lower on anything no matter the length as long as it doesnt have a buttstock IIRC.

As long as you have that 16" barrel you're good to go. Here's a link to the applicable ATF letter.
Personally I think this is one of the most absurd restrictions imaginable.

https://www.atf.gov/file/11816/download
ya along with 941, its pretty ridiculous.

i feel SBRs should not require a stamp. Really? a 15.5 inch barrel is illegal but add half an inch and youre good? DUMB.

By their logic, in that letter, holding any pistol with two hands would make it an aow.
Their way of thinking has opened a dangerous avenue. Where misuse constitutes a redesign.
My bet is in the next 10 years we're gonna see some crazy laws. And not just involving guns.
As far as shooting goes this could affect AOW's and others too.
Say you're shooting a pistol grip shotgun. It was a pistol grip from the manufacturer.
You have a sling. To shoot you bring the weapon up and stretch the sling so it's taught.
Some refer to this as "British style".
Does this constitue a redesign as you in a sense have created a buttstock?
This style of shooting works for ANY gun without a buttstock and you can attach a sling to the rear of the receiver.

Last letter I saw, said they changed there mind on sholder firing. They used to say it was okay but that has since changed.

As for the rifle pistol stuff most places sell stripped lowers as "other" so you to build a pistol or a rifle. My understanding is a patil lower can become ether however a rifle lower cannot be become a pistol legally.

Who gives a fudgeknuckle if you turn a lower receiver into a pistol or rifle? The ATF? Not likely, unless your garage workbench is located next to their cubicle at the Federal Building. The local LE? Not likely, busy with traffic tickets, car accidents and real crimes to solve.

The prohibition of firing an AR15 pistol with a brace from the shoulder comes from your "intent." Did you intend to install the brace in order to circumvent the NFA and not get a tax stamp? Proving your "intent" seems like a long bridge to cross unless for 2 months you told everyone you knew that you were putting the brace on to avoid the NFA tax stamp.

I have been going to the range with some variant of an AR15 in my possession for over 20 years and no one from the ATF has ever been there to run a check on my S/N to see what it was or wasn't before it became a pistol.

All this drama about what can or can't be done. I don't live with an ATF agent and I don't take any of them to the range. There won't be anyone to care what you do or don't do.

Last Edited:
Who gives a fudgeknuckle if you turn a lower receiver into a pistol or rifle? The ATF? Not likely, unless your garage workbench is located next to their cubicle at the Federal Building. The local LE? Not likely, busy with traffic tickets, car accidents and real crimes to solve.

The prohibition of firing an AR15 pistol with a brace from the shoulder comes from your "intent." Did you intend to install the brace in order to circumvent the NFA and not get a tax stamp? Proving your "intent" seems like a long bridge to cross unless for 2 months you told everyone you knew that you were putting the brace on to avoid the NFA tax stamp.

I have been going to the range with some variant of an AR15 in my possession for over 20 years and no one from the ATF has ever been there to run a check on my S/N to see what it was or wasn't before it became a pistol.

All this drama about what can or can't be done. I don't live with an ATF agent and I don't take any of them to the range. There won't be anyone to care what you do or don't do.
Three people were arrested and charged under this letter.

Hence the upper with an 11.5 inch barrel and a 5.5 inch flash hider....I think about buying one of these because they are so odd.
These regulations are ridiculous, however and rather than curb Modern Sporting rifle sales they have increased five fifty 6 sales exponentially because every one needs three or more before they are illegal.

Brutus Out

Three people were arrested and charged under this letter.

Do you have a link to this story? I would love to know the details. My guess is that the folks that found themselves hemmed up made themselves a target by making it known to the powers that be what they were doing and asking all manner of technical questions that probably got them visited by the ATF.

Do you have a link to this story? I would love to know the details. My guess is that the folks that found themselves hemmed up made themselves a target by making it known to the powers that be what they were doing and asking all manner of technical questions that probably got them visited by the ATF.
Pretty close. They actually used it in a crime. So they aren't upstanding citizens but it shows they are willing to charge over it.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...arged-owning-sbr-pistol-brace-equipped-ar-15/

Last letter I saw, said they changed there mind on sholder firing. They used to say it was okay but that has since changed.

As for the rifle pistol stuff most places sell stripped lowers as "other" so you to build a pistol or a rifle. My understanding is a patil lower can become ether however a rifle lower cannot be become a pistol legally.

I'm pretty sure the lowers I bought were listed as "Receiver".

So has anyone been convicted yet for shouldering a brace?

Reason i ask is that the ATF letter is merely their interpretation of the law and says how they will prosecute. Whether it is actually illegal or not won't be determined until it goes before a judge, as the ATF isn't a legislative body.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top