JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently acquired my first "black rifle" (Core15 MOE M4 Piston) and would love to find a great optic without destroying the bank. I prefer to buy 1 rather than buy 4 or 5 to find one that I stick to, so I'm willing to pay for quality and features for a good optic.

The gun does have flip-up magpul sites already.

I'm open to magnification, but would prefer less magnification say (4X or less).

Whatever optic you get, make sure to mount it in a LaRue Tactical QD mount! They are the bees-neas :winkkiss:

Scopes: Nikon M223 or Leupold VX-II

Red-dot's: Vortex SPARC or Aimpoint T-1

I can only speak to what I have used. I have used an Eotech for a couple years, it's the one with the arms mount that takes the cr123 batteries , I'll say it's very fast for moving from target to target, fairly good battery life with quite a few brightness settings. I think it was $600 ish 3 or 4 years ago.

I have also used an ACOG, it's 3x30 with the long eye relief but a narrow field of view, TA 30 I think. Great optic, good for making long hits but not as good as the eotech for the close up stuff. I think it was $800 5 years ago.

Always good to stick with quality. A fellow at work got a Colt 6920 a few weeks ago. He didn't have to finish his sentence before I knew how successful he was in trying to obtain a good zero with his new NCStar red dot:s0154:.

Keith

Always good to stick with quality. A fellow at work got a Colt 6920 a few weeks ago. He didn't have to finish his sentence before I knew how successful he was in trying to obtain a good zero with his new NCStar red dot:s0154:.

Keith

Yep, sort of like putting a high end handgun in a cheap holster. :)

I chose to mount ACOG's on my AR's. I thought about going with an Aimpoint with a 3x magnifier in a flip to the side mount but I like the fact that the ACOG has no electronics or batteries to fail and works in low/no light due to the tritium lamp. Also, ACOGs maintain zero and have that useful BDC reticle which I like. Last but not least, the mount that comes with the scope is pretty bullet proof although it's extremely no frills. I found my first one on Craigslist being sold by a soldier at Ft. Lewis who was transferring to Germany and couldn't take it with him and got it for $400. I would have bought his DPMS AR10 if I would have had another $1000 with me and now I kick myself for not grabbing it.

I have put many "less expensive" red dot's on AR's over the last 20+ years. Recently I stepped up and bought an Aimpont Micro H1 and LaRue Tactical mount. I have always hesitated because of the well over $600 price tag. I have never looked back. I can now agree to spend the $$ on a quality sight that fits your requirements rather than go the cheap rout.

Thanks! I'm going to give the Vortex StrikeFire a shot.

This is what ive got on my RRA ar. I actually have it set where i cant raise my front sight unless i flip open the front cover on the sight. I set the dot sight for 250 and hit a 16 inch saw blade with ease. I do not use the 2x magnification attachment.
I like it. Its not top quality but its nice

I have a Primary Arms Micro red dot. Does what it's suppose to do. I haven't really haven't had any issues with it. I let my stepson use it and it quit working and the mount came loose. (I have an American Defense QD mount). I'm not sure what he did to it but haven't been able to duplicate it, no matter how hard I try. :)
I have a Primary Arms Gen 2 AA powered red dot on it's way to me. That will go on my other AR.
I know they are not Aimpoints. My plan is to use them until I can't use them anymore and then see about upgrading.

What is your price range? Personally I'd go for quality, buy once, cry once. Larue mounts are awesome.
Red Dot
Aimpoint Pro (w/ magnifier if you want it)
Aimpoint H1 or T1 (I run a T1 on my SBR)

Budget Scope
Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4x 20

This is what ive got on my RRA ar. I actually have it set where i cant raise my front sight unless i flip open the front cover on the sight. I set the dot sight for 250 and hit a 16 inch saw blade with ease. I do not use the 2x magnification attachment.
I like it. Its not top quality but its nice
IMG_20130108_0.jpg

IMG_20130108_0.jpg

I went with a Meopta ZD 1-4X22 illuminated reticle atop a Noveske Recon and couldn't be happier. The wide field of view at 1x and the bright 2moa dot make for an extremely fast on target combination. With the cat tail throw lever magnification changes are quick and a breeze. I think it was about $1000.00 and included they LaRue mount so popping the scope on and off doesn't lose the zero. I looked at the TA11 Acog and the Nightforce 1-4 amongst others and have 0 regrets with the Meopta. It's not the most widely recognized name out there but the excellent glass and extremely bright illumination has a made it a very popular choice with the 3 gun crowd. There's a lot of good stuff out there and a lot of crap but this has been one of those purchases that I have no regrets about. Just my. 02 cents and good luck.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top