JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
$125 or best offer Northern Competition/Badger heavy 26" barrel, 5.56NATO (Wylde) chamber, 1:6.5 twist and extended length gas tube. I have the original gas block that was supplied with the barrel and a smaller "GB" brand that I used underneath my YHM extended handguard. Included is the original gas tube and (1) brand new tube. The muzzle end is stepped to ¾" to allow for the use of a globe style front sight. Throat is worn such that seating 80's so they touch the lands is impossible (90's still do). However, 52 and 53's will still shoot possibles.
Trades - need Magpul 20 rd magazines.
Badger barrel.JPG
Badger barrel and two gas blocks (2).JPG
TO ANSWER A QUESTION POSED BY AN INTERESTED PARTY -
Sierra, Nosler, etc. make 80gr bullets that are so long they can't be seated all the way into a case sufficient to be used in a magazine. These bullets have a long bearing surface in part because of their heavier than normal weight. Consequently, you must single load your rounds through the ejection port and use a barrel twist that is 1:8 or more (1:9 wont' stabilize them). The increased bullet coefficient aids in long range shooting by reducing drag and the affect wind has on the bullets drift. Great for medium distance (600yd) and long distance (800yd and beyond) shooting, but they are totally unnecessary for short range shooting at 400yd or less. However, because they commonly have an ogive that measures 8 or more diameters, they become quite sensitive to their position relative to the chamber leade. Just in front of the chamber there lies a portion of the barrel that is not rifled - the leade. The rifling begins its cut in very shallow grooves at first until some distance further toward the muzzle, where it comes to full depth and that's what we call the throat. Every round fired subjects the throat to high pressure, high temperature gasses that erode away the rifling. As hundreds of rounds are fired, the throat erodes further and further toward the muzzle. For these long high BC projectiles to shoot well, their bearing surface needs to come ever so slightly into contact with the rifling (the throat angle). Some brands will shoot just fine so long as the bullets bearing surface is only 30 thousandths from the throat angle but usually just barely touching gets you the very best accuracy. Of course, this a reloading proposition as you'll never find factory ammo with bullets this heavy; they have no idea how long you would need the cartridge OAL to be. Now when I say best, I mean the difference between shooting x-ring groups v. 10-ring group. Some competitors find they need high x-counts to win a match and so that begs the age-old question to be asked of just when is a barrel "shot out?" To some it is when the barrel is no longer able to hold the x-ring of an NRA highpower target; to others it is when they can no longer shoot 10's (possibles) still others when they can no longer shoot a soda can off the fence post. It all depends on your needs. But that's not to say the barrel is no longer useful. Heck most barrels that people declare to be shot out are still plenty accurate enough for hunting coyotes, or ringing steel plates or plinking for that matter. This particular barrel has a very fast twist rate of 1 turn in 6-1/2 inches that allows it to stabilize even heavier 90gr bullets which have an even longer bearing surface than the 80's. The throat angle on this is worn to the point that 80's cannot be seated out to touch, but since the 90's are physically longer you can still seat them out to touch, but only for what I'm estimating to be another 300 - 500 rds. The thing about ar15's and loads is that regardless the twist rate, if you want to see how accurate your gun really is try shooting at 100 or 200yds using some Sierra 52 or 53gr match bullets loaded with Winchester 748 powder Take Aim at Rifle Reloading Data | Hodgdon Reloading (charge around 25gr - but be sure to confirm with a modern-day reloading manual). Even though this barrel is on its last leg with respect to the use of the heavy bullets commonly used for medium and long-distance shooting, it still shoots possibles and will continue doing so with those lighter weight bullets. Hope this helps and Merry Christmas.

Badger barrel and two gas blocks.JPG

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews