JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a quality lower to use for an AR build I'm planning. It's more of rather buying a lower and upper, and pinning them, than a full build. If I have to, I'll assemble a lower.

I'd love an LMT with SOPMOD stock, but can't find one in stock . NW Armory has stripped Noveskes for $189, but I'd prefer a factory built lower.

Does Colt sell just receivers?

I want a well know, quality NAME brand, no Aero, Anderson, Mega.

What should I look for?

$200 max for stripped lower, $550-600 max for complete.

When you say quality do you mean billet over forged? As far as apples to apples with forged lowers Noveske's are really no better than Aero's. Now if your talking a Gen III Noveske rather than a N4 that's a different story, that's an apples oranges comparison though. What are you really looking for? I was in Rainer Arms the other day and they had a dozen different $200-$300 stripped lowers, You can have your pick of just about anything you want. You can order them online and have them shipped to any FFL

I just re read your two posts and they really don't jive. Bushmaster lowers are simple forged lowers, most LE marked stuff is going to be Colt or Bushmaster. Neither really any better than the Aero you downplay in your post. Is it all just about the roll mark?

I own 10 AR's currently. The lowers employed range from Noveske on the high end to Anderson on the low. Honastly if I dropped the CMC trigger in a Anderson lower and pinned it to my Noveske upper I can gaurrentee it will still shoot the same groups image.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm looking for forged, not interested in billet. From what I've seen, ARs with bigger named receivers, have much better and quicker resale. I'm not saying anything bad about the other lowers I mentioned, but I don't want to buy one.

My "plan" is to put together a quality, basic, M4 style rifle - forged lower, 14.5" barrel w/pinned FH, KAC drop in rails, EOTech, Surefire weapon light... I want something like you'd see a federal agent with, or a soldier (obviously not select fire), and I don't suspect a Anderson lower would "pass" as such. Nothing fancy, just well thought out and well working.

Maybe it does all matter to the roll mark for me...

colt-tfb.jpg

about what your typical m4 service rifle looks like. Sights vary between a red dot, acog, eotech, etc. usually have rail covers on the side rails and some run a forward grip close to the magwell, some don't. Some run a grenade launcher on the bottom rail... They almost all run the quad rail these days though for the option of attaching the grenade launcher as well as attaching an IR illuminator, laser sight, etc.

LE might use flash lights, but you typically won't see military using flash lights. They will use night vision, thermal, and IR illuminators before they use a flash light.. Flash lights give off your position and make you an easy target.. thermal keeps you concealed yet lights up your enemy like a sore thumb.

The roll mark means jack to me, and nobody cares about it on a build done right. On the other hand you can easily make a Noveske look like it's wearing clown shoes - just don't forget the picatinny mount electric pasta fork.

I strongly suggest you build your lower so you don't wast money on parts you will want to upgrade like the trigger group, trigger guard, the grip that really fits your hand, the butt stock you want in the color you want, maybe an end plate with a sling attachment, etc.. Putting these thing together is all but trivial even the first time. I own two AR's, built both of them, and saved enough money to pay for the tools and optics.

Some of the cheapest lowers are those offered by the actual manufacturer, and you pay more to get someone else's name on it. Not this chicken - I'll put that money into a better trigger, BCG, or barrel each and every time. I think all three in the first post are examples of OEM manufacturers. Anderson, for example makes M&P receivers.

If you wanna show up at my house with a box-o-parts and a beer you can use my tools and I'll walk you through it.

BTW - Stop by Curt's on McLoughlin in Oak Grove/Milwaukie. They have a large selection and can offer you good advice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top