JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had the same concerns as you. Like a few others here, I recommend buying one first if you can afford it. I went with a DPMS. This allowed me to build in stages and use the DPMS as a test platform. This resulted in 2 ARs, each for a different purpose. I learned a lot and had fun doing it. If you go this route, make sure what you buy for your build is interchangeable with the AR first purchased. Ask questions. Good luck!

I researched for a while before building my first. I decided for my first 2 outings to go with fully built uppers and stick with building the lowers myself. I'm glad I started that way. I would like to build out an upper too, and now that I've got the lowers under my belt, I feel a bit more confident to try that route.

My first advice, since you've got no prior experience, is to get your hands on several different models, with different barrels and hand guards. While the quad rails look nice, if that's your thing, they add a lot of weight out front - combine that with a longer or heavy barrel (HBAR) and some accessories out front and you may have a hard time lugging it around. If you can try shooting a couple, that would be even better.

Already some great responses and I don't want to duplicate everyone else's information, but I wanted to call out the tools that I felt were very important to my build:

* Roll pin punch set (not to be confused with other types of punch sets)
* Roll pin starter punch set (didn't have these, but wish I had)
* Blue painter's tape - I went without this and did scuff my finish - lesson learned
* AR Armorer's wrench/tool - maybe not required, but if you want to torque the buffer tube castle nut properly, you may want this
* Which brings up the torque wrench. I happened to already have one - you may just want to borrow rather than buy

I consider most other tools I may have needed to be 'standard' homeowner tools. If you're building an upper too, you may need more - I've not compiled my list for that just yet.

As for videos, I found two that were very helpful guiding me through the process, step by step.

This one will walk you through an entire build, including an upper. I found it to be very helpful, though there are certainly other good ones too:

When you go to install the pivot pin, you may see a suggestion to purchase a pivot pin install tool - if you follow the video below, you won't need to spend the money on that. I've done this very thing on 2 builds, and it works:

I also found this web page that was helpful for me in identifying the parts in my lower parts kit - telling one spring from another in the kit, etc.:

lowerKit.gif

Found here with additional descriptions of the parts: <broken link removed>

Lastly, you need to bookmark NWFA!! I ran into a problem on my last build and really benefited from the very helpful and experienced folks on the forum.

Good luck in your search and your purchase or build.

I would think it's up to the individual and how comfortable they feel about putting things together. There's really no "building" involved, it's just putting parts together. If you aren't comfortable with tools, then yes, buying the completed upper with barrel may be the best.

I see it the same as people freaking out and saying that you should never get a progressive for your first press. If you can follow basic steps and comprehend instructions, then don't let others hold you back. You know your own capabilities.

If you where closer I would offer to help build if you go that route, You might start a thread and ask if someone closer has the experience and tooling if you choose to build one. Its not rocker surgery (Or brain science) but it is nice to have someone with experience have eyes and hands on it for your own piece of mind.

Building is easy and fun. My one piece of advice is to scrimp on everything if you have to and spend $$$ on the trigger. $200-300 spent there will pay back 1000x in the short and long run.

Furniture? I had magpul and loved it but now have the thin keymod and I love it came with Palmetto state upper.

Trigger. Trigger. Trigger. If you're pulling shots the entire build is a waste.

check out AR15.com gun builder app (build your gun) button at the top of the page. It allows you to 'assemble' your rifle and you have 360 degree view when your done. Not every part and piece is available but you can get a good idea what your finished rifle will look like.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top