JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Muzzle breaks make your rifle louder. Some are marketed as "quiet" brakes. Though they may not be as loud as other brakes, they are at least as loud as a rifle without a brake.

I think you are referring to a linear compensator. They only make the rifle quieter to the shooter, as it directs the muzzle blast away from the shooter. They don't actually slow the gasses like the baffles in a silencer. There's one called Levang linear compensator from DPMS and another one called KIES blast master..not sure who markets the KIES...maybe KIES is the brand name? anyway, hope that's what you're looking for.

I think you are referring to a linear compensator. They only make the rifle quieter to the shooter, as it directs the muzzle blast away from the shooter. They don't actually slow the gasses like the baffles in a silencer. There's one called Levang linear compensator from DPMS and another one called KIES blast master..not sure who markets the KIES...maybe KIES is the brand name? anyway, hope that's what you're looking for.

+1

I have a Levang comp on a 18" rifle and it does reduce noise for the shooter and it's pretty significant. I could shoot without hearing protection if needed. No idea how it sounds to the sides and I assume it's noisiest down range.

Theres the Noveske flaming pig too. Its pretty heavy though, and Im not quite sure if its a compensator or a flash hider. Actually, I dont really know what it is. I just know its directs the blast forward, away from the shooter.

Here's another design....
Black River Tactical LLC

I must be missing something but Black River refers to this as providing recoil compensation. I cannot see how this can be the case since it directs all blast energy forward. Simple physics demands an equal and opposite reaction. If all of the gas energy is directed forward then the recoil is directed rearward. With other muzzle "brakes" the gas is deflected to the sides, and actually rearward in some cases, to decrease the amount of energy directed forward. I would love to know the theory behind used for this device.

I don't use one but they are popular with the 6.8 crowd.
Probably liked more for the way they direct blast away from the shooter since 6.8 is often used for hunting and I for one don't wear hearing protection when hunting.
There may be a BRT industry forum at 68forums where the recoil question could be asked.

I suppose the question would be valid for the Levang and Kies as well.

I must be missing something but Black River refers to this as providing recoil compensation. I cannot see how this can be the case since it directs all blast energy forward. Simple physics demands an equal and opposite reaction. If all of the gas energy is directed forward then the recoil is directed rearward. With other muzzle "brakes" the gas is deflected to the sides, and actually rearward in some cases, to decrease the amount of energy directed forward. I would love to know the theory behind used for this device.

The BRT Covert Compensator and the Levang compensator are "Linear compensators". They direct the blast forward, reduce muzzle jump and to a lesser extent, recoil. The Linear Comps reduce recoil because they have a larger area for the gas to escape the muzzle, either additional holes or angled slots like the BFT.

The more traditional brakes with side venting well have less recoil with more jump than the linear comps, plus they are very load on the shooting line.

"Pepper Pot" brakes well have a little less blast on the line than some of the more aggressive cut brakes. WCI makes a good brake for several AR calibers. The Pepper Pots can act as a flash hider as well, some brakes enhance the muzzle flash.

Example of a Pepper Pot compensator/flash hider on a Swiss sniper 7.5mm.
sniper12.jpg

Get a Noveski Flaming Pig. I love mine. It was pricey but worth it. Now, it's not quester. Only perceived as quieter because the noise is directed down range. With Standard ARs with the birdcage flash suppresor I usually wear earplugs than a set of muffs over the top of them to keep my ears from ringing. With the Noveski just earplugs is all I need to shoot comfortably.

lmt-done.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads