JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this may be kind of a dumb question. i have been saving for a auto sear for my ar15 and as we all know they run around 10k and up for a rdias and around 7k for a lightning link. But you can find an auto sear for an fnc for around 3-4k. So i was wondering if an auto sear itself because it is a registerd machine gun, can it only be used in the type of gun that it was made for? or can it be registerd for a differant type of gun? i know that the sears are completely differant form an fnc to ar15, but can a auto sear from a fnc be modified legaly for an ar15 if the serial number remains intact. thanks...
:gun11::)

I am pretty sure significant modification would construe manufacturing a new machine gun. Just call the ATF technical center. call from a pay phone if you are worried about tracing or them knowing. but if you are going to go the NFA route it wont matter, they are already going to investigate you.

But call and ask them, if they say you can, then ask them to send you a letter stating you can. they will not send one unless you ask. The ATF is actually pretty easy to deal with. When ever i have had a question about how to fill out a form, or if I can do something legally, they have been nothing but helpful.

So i dont know the answer, but since they would be the ones to prosecute you, they would be the best ones to contact.

You HAVE to use it for the intended make and model it was manufactured for. I have tried and tried to make this kinda thing work as well as a couple of my other buddies with SOT certificates. As of yet, it is a dead end.

what makes the sear so expensive? Isnt it just a little piece of metal ? could anyone who is a manufacturer make one from scratch ?

just curious...

What makes it so expensive is that it had to have been built and registered on a Form 4 w tax stamp prior to May 19, 1986 to be civilian legal, supply and demand is why it is expensive.

Here is a good Wiki on NFA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Firearms_Act

what makes the sear so expensive? Isnt it just a little piece of metal ? could anyone who is a manufacturer make one from scratch ?

just curious...

You buy or build the parts to convert a Semi Auto military style weapon for under $200 the problem is it comes with a 10 year jail term attached if you have all the parts to assemble said machine gun.

If you have all the parts and they are not assembled the ATF will be happy to assist you in assembling it and charging you for possessing a machine gun. :s0155:

Be careful with that one my friend. I have talked with them multiple times on that situation of possibly adjusting the gun to accept a different guns sear and they said 100% no. You can still get registered sears for different makes and models of guns cheaper than dishing out $10- $12k for an HK sear. But they will not allow you to install them into any other firearm other than what they were originally manufactured for. I may be wrong, but this is something that many people have tried to find a way around for a very long time.

But you can make an AR full auto without the sear right? and its alot cheaper? So i was just confused as to why anyone would want to pay so much for a sear when theres cheaper alternatives.

I mean couldnt someone buy the full auto parts for a lower, and do the paperwork and make it legal without paying anywhere near as much as buying a sear?

But you can make an AR full auto without the sear right? and its alot cheaper? So i was just confused as to why anyone would want to pay so much for a sear when theres cheaper alternatives.

I mean couldnt someone buy the full auto parts for a lower, and do the paperwork and make it legal without paying anywhere near as much as buying a sear?

The actual sear is inexpensive. $15-20

You would need a full auto lower receiver that's pre-86. Those are even more expensive.

Registered as a machine gun Pre- 5-19-1986 is why these things are so expensive.

The sear/LL/RDIAS is what is the machine gun, just as the lower on an AR is the FFL part.

That is partially true but it isn't always the case, the sear could be the registered part or it could be the lower or it could even be the bolt that is registered on the form 4. In the end you are not paying the big bucks for the part you are paying the big bucks for the paper trail.

So your saying theres no way to take an AR made post 86, and make it full auto without parts from Pre 86 that were already registered machinegun?

I thought i had read about people doing the paperwork and making a new machine gun? is that not true how it works?

Just thought i would see what people picked up at the gun show this weekend.

Ill start, Norinco Mak90. Post Ban. paid $300 for it. Being turned into a full auto this week.

Anyone else pick something up they were looking for?

for example....? Is this gona have to be done with parts that are pre 86 and were already registered machine guns?

for example....? Is this gona have to be done with parts that are pre 86 and were already registered machine guns?

He is likely a 07 SOT FFL and he is building a post sample machine gun that can never ever be sold/transferred to a civilian.

With a post sample part can be built at any date. An 07 SOT could put together a full auto AR 15 for around 8 or 900 dollars.

Kenboots your cheapest way to get to full auto as a non dealer is a registered MAC10 for $3500 ish

I see. I'm not acutally trying to get one right now. just curious to how it works... So what he have to do with it , if he decides to not have his 07 SOT FFL anymore?

And id love to have a Mac10 Chaffee let me dump a mag thru his once a few years ago, only machine gun i ever fired.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top