JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do not despair. All of us combined will truly foul you up. Including me. But ... let us put our money where our mouths are. I have declined to put on a junior college based, (kinda) AR15 building class. Years ago. What does that make me? Lazy. I should be passing this forward.

The problem is that I have privately tutored individuals before on how to build the rifle. Takes all day. Slow going. Over and over. I should be passing all of this stuff forward but I am not. No patience. Family is the exception. Teaching the grand daughters is very fulfilling.

What they will do with knowing how to gunsmith the USGI M1 Carbine and Civilian AR15 remains to be seen. So much to teach. So little available time. What will they do with it? Maybe she can teach me home canning or something. There are gaps in my knowledge.

Moral of the story? You can build your own AR15 rifle. The process will not be that easy at first but you can burn through it. A dubious social skill. I wish I knew more about some RN medical aspects. Gaps there also. We all grown stronger over time. Education is golden.

HB of CJ. Old Coot. Ex FF, PM, RN. Now retired. Getting old. Yikes! :)

Finally was able to get to the rifle and rear it apart. You guys were right I put the hammer spring on backwards! Thanks for all the info and photos it helped a ton!

Yep, learned on my first AR. I'm wondering what percentage of us have actually done this? :D

Judging from this thread alone I'd say well over half. I've not done it myself because I was aware this was a common mistake before I ever touched my FCG. Now it is the first thing I check or suggest others to check for light strikes, it is more often than not the issue.

I received my lower receivers from my FFL. Just wondering is I have few phosphate BCG which I guess is OK and I have not have any issues with them. I was wondering does any use the nickel boron ones? Not sure I will buy any since I phosphate ones already.

This will my first lower that I will be building so I am using magpul pistol grip and retractable magpul stock. Nothing fancy.

I received my lower receivers from my FFL. Just wondering is I have few phosphate BCG which I guess is OK and I have not have any issues with them. I was wondering does any use the nickel boron ones? Not sure I will buy any since I phosphate ones already.

This will my first lower that I will be building so I am using magpul pistol grip and retractable magpul stock. Nothing fancy.
My first AR built in 09 used a no-name, phosphate BCG that cost me $90.
You can now get a beautiful Toolcraft NiB BCG for $95 - $110
They do look nice and they clean easier.

My first AR built in 09 used a no-name, phosphate BCG that cost me $90.
You can now get a beautiful Toolcraft NiB BCG for $95 - $110
They do look nice and they clean easier.

I have 3 phosphates BCG that are unused so I will just use my phosphate ones for now. I have two rifles that both have phosphate BCGs and they do work fine. I lube them up at the gun range and they are good to go.

I believe they create a rift in space time and warp into a separate demention. Such a rift also exists in the laundry but only takes one of each of my socks. There is a parrellel world out there covered in Takedown detents, socks, and 1/2" wrenches and sockets.
Thank god it is 1/2" wrenches and sockets that are only affected by this phenomena and so we can easily dig into our metric reserves of 13mm replacements. 13mm sounds way more tacticool anyway. Right, @No_Regerts ?

On a more serious note, I would be tempted to slip a no go headspace gauge in and check on bear creeks work.

Last Edited:
So... the OP figured it out, and as per the usual.. we(the smartazz regs) have hijacked his thread and shat all over it..:D

OP had his hammer spring backwards... I've Installed probably 100 AR hammers in the last year or so, and I still second guess myself when I put the spring on.
The way I remember... is when looking at the hammer face,the legs will roll over the top of the spring like the TP roll SHOULD be oriented.
C97E2DF1-D7FF-41E8-9942-963915909D6B.jpeg 33F0FDDC-93AA-47EA-83CF-A0ACD425B489.jpeg

So... the OP figured it out, and as per the usual.. we(the smartazz regs) have hijacked his thread and shat all over it..:D

OP had his hammer spring backwards... I've Installed probably 100 AR hammers in the last year or so, and I still second guess myself when I put the spring on.
The way I remember... is when looking at the hammer face,the legs will roll over the top of the spring like the TP roll SHOULD be oriented.
View attachment 500929View attachment 500930

That might be right for a hammer spring the TP thing is all backwards!! :p:D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top