JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
At least he is pinning it to the barrel the way it was designed.
What am I missing???

Properly installing an FSB onto a barrel is not a garage shop operation. It requires a special purpose built jig that holds the FSB and barrel in perfect alignment while a drill press simultaneously drill through the FSB and barrel, the big guys like Colt use a setup with two bits and drills both holes at the same time. This process creates a "fingerprint" relationship between the parts.

Screwing this up is the fastest way to destroy a barrel. If you want a barrel with an FSB my advise is to buy a barrel with it already installed from a reputable manufacture or a take-off from the same.

It is one of two things on an AR I would not consider doing myself, the second being installing a barrel extension.

Titz is right. Send it to @Velzey or Rainier Arms, expect to pay around $100 or so plus shipping.

Of course if you do not yet have a barrel, best advice would be to buy one already properly married to the fsb.

It's not that hard. I have done quite a few only screwed up one and that was because I used an undrilled sight base for a skinny barrel and drilled too low on one side but it really only needs one to hold solid so its fine just a cosmetic issue

I have a specific fixture just for this. Holds everything aligned just perfect.
Allot of barrels are nitride coated these days and high speed (Tool steel) drills and taps don't like that coating.
I use all carbide tooling and hand ream the taper pins to fit.

Using 8-32 screws does work, but make sure to use threadlocker. The barrel heats and expands more than anything else and screws like to fall out.

Well there goes that idea, guess I'll be using a railed gas block and a MBUIS....

Thanks for the heads up to all that replied.;)
I cringe every time i see a railed gb.

You deserve a legitimate front sight. What about selling your current barrel to help fund one with a sight from the factory?

Thanks for the tip, this is a budget build so was just thinking that a basic rifle design like the F-marked sight was budget minded, I found out different..

Black Friday is coming up, ALG will most likely have a stellar sale going on. Why not forgo the cringe worthy railed gas block and put a LPGB and free float rail on it?

If you must go with railed gas block make sure it isn't on of those aluminum turds.

Here is what you do. Get a pre-drilled FSB like someones take off see me I have some for sale if you need one. slide your nut and end cap on or you can later but better its done so you dont have to remove the FSB. slide FSB on but not all the way but right where the front part of the FSB goes over the final area put a light coat of JB weld all the way around that area do not put on the back part where your gas port is just the front part that goes around the barrel and slide it over. Using a boresight or if you have a good eyeball make sure it aligns with your extension pin actually it helps to attach a sighted receiver to make sure its correct a laser bore sighter helps too but its amazing how accurate an eyeball is at catching a cant if you know what your doing . once the JB weld is dried double check to make sure its not canted the drill the holes then take a reamer and ream it and insert the taper pins. If you screwed that up then go buy a set screw or clamp-on gas block

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top