JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I just finished a 1 week stay at the hospital recovering from some reconstructive surgery on my left foot.

How, might you ask, is that firearms related?

Well, my wife made the mistake of bringing me my Midway Shooters Supply catalog for some reading material (you can see where this is going).

I have a couple of M 4gery's. One is set up as a standard carbine with fold down irons and an Aimpoint Comp ML3 with a LaRue QD cantilever mount.

My other M4 is a plain stock Daniel Defense flat top with factory irons. I am considering trying to turn this into a designated marksman type of platform and am toying with some ideas.

I have ruled out the ACOG (without going into lenghty explanation, it's just not my cup of tea) so and cosidering a couple of different options. One would be just adding some kind of 1-4X scope such as the Vortex Viper PST with illum reticle which is probably the simplest option. I was also considering doing something like going with the Vortex Viper PST 2 2.5-10X 44mm for mid to long range and also mounting some kind of reflex red dot such as the Leupold Reflex, Burris FastFire or Trijicon RMR mounted off to the side of the scope on the rail for true CQB situations.

Any thoughts on these combos? What have others done for designated Marksman configs?

Last Edited:
Some military units use the Nightforce 2.5-10x 32 on their SPR's. I've been thinking about picking one up myself - with the Velocity reticle. They get great reviews.... but are admittedly spendy.
Another one I think looks promising is the IOR 1.5-8x.... again not cheap.

Some military units use the Nightforce 2.5-10x 32 on their SPR's. I've been thinking about picking one up myself - with the Velocity reticle. They get great reviews.... but are admittedly spendy.
Another one I think looks promising is the IOR 1.5-8x.... again not cheap.

I know the Nightforce scopes are nice, but that is why I was considering the Vortex. I've heard some really good things about them and they are less spendy that the Nightforce scopes. I will have to check out the IOR. 1.5-8X sounds like it might be a good compromise.

I know the Nightforce scopes are nice, but that is why I was considering the Vortex. I've heard some really good things about them and they are less spendy that the Nightforce scopes. I will have to check out the IOR. 1.5-8X sounds like it might be a good compromise.

The Velocity Reticule Calculator is now active on the Nightforce site, lets you play with different types of ammo (factory and custom) in conjunction with their Velocity reticule BDC's. It's a pretty neat system, myself I think I'm going to wait until after the Shot show (Jan.) and see if anything new and exciting is coming out.

I am currently runing a DDM4V3 16" upper mated to a BCM lower. I have a 3-9X nikon scope, with a magpul MBUIS rear (Fixed front sight), and an offset 1'oclock mount with a primary arms micro dot. Cheap and effective. It is a tad "space gunnish" and my next AR is going to be a SBR with a micro dot. But for stand off distances this is a sweet setup

Well handle one of those Vortex Vipers before you buy it at Midway. I was looking through one the other day and it distorted the image terribly.Made everything float around
Maybe this is normal for a 1-4?
It was OK if you didn't move the scope at all,but once I started moving it around I had to look away

Well handle one of those Vortex Vipers before you buy it at Midway. I was looking through one the other day and it distorted the image terribly.Made everything float around
Maybe this is normal for a 1-4?
It was OK if you didn't move the scope at all,but once I started moving it around I had to look away

Good feedback. The first negative I have heard. Where did you handle it? At the range or a gun store? I definitely planned to try to look thru one before just buying it, but don't know who if anyone handles them in the PDX area. I guess I could always go with Leupold as it's pretty tough to go wrong with them, but it seems they are limited in their choices for ill. reticles.

Leupolds new CMR2 illuminated reticule is available in the 1-3 CQ/T, MR/T 1.5-5 and also the HAMR 4x - Not sure I'd quite call any of these "DMR scopes", except maybe the MR/T, but if you think you could be happy with a 1-4 then these might be worth a look.

Good feedback. The first negative I have heard. Where did you handle it? At the range or a gun store? I definitely planned to try to look thru one before just buying it, but don't know who if anyone handles them in the PDX area. I guess I could always go with Leupold as it's pretty tough to go wrong with them, but it seems they are limited in their choices for ill. reticles.

It was at Wholsale Sports. The kid said all scopes do that and I told him none of my other did. Plus for $499.99 I definitely would go for either a Leupold or Nikon.
Another thread on here was about AR optics and most thought the 1-4X was the way to go.I looked at a few over the last couple weeks and went with a Vortex Diamondback 3-9XZ40 with the 1" tube.I looked at a similar Leupold VX1 for $30 less that had about 1/2 the field of view of this Vortex. Much better optic than a 1-4 in my eyes (sorry).
It was $189+tax. It's nice and compact at about 11-12"
I don't plan on taking the AR out in torrential downpours so I didn't feel the need for a high dollar weather proof scope.Plus there isn't much abuse on and AR.

Sighting with both eyes isn't perfect through it but not bad

I also just picked up a vortex diamondback this week, nice scope! They also have a vortex viper on clearance for 190.

I actually returned my nikon prostaff in favor of the vortex. The vortex seemed to have better fov, clarity, and not as much distortion around the edges. Plus, I heard vortex has an unbelievable warranty.

I also just picked up a vortex diamondback this week, nice scope! They also have a vortex viper on clearance for 190.

I actually returned my nikon prostaff in favor of the vortex. The vortex seemed to have better fov, clarity, and not as much distortion around the edges. Plus, I heard vortex has an unbelievable warranty.

Where did you get your Vortex and which Viper was on sale? Did they have several models?

Where did you get your Vortex and which Viper was on sale? Did they have several models?

Wholesale sports in Vancouver. The viper was the 3-9x40 with "v-plex" reticle. It is a discontinued model, and there was only one left there. Plus, it was a display unit. But, with what I heard about vortex customer service, they'll take care of you if anything goes wrong. I'm pretty sure they'll give you a better model in return if you do send it in for any reason. I read they also pay all shipping cost.

Wholesale sports in Vancouver. The viper was the 3-9x40 with "v-plex" reticle. It is a discontinued model, and there was only one left there. Plus, it was a display unit. But, with what I heard about vortex customer service, they'll take care of you if anything goes wrong. I'm pretty sure they'll give you a better model in return if you do send it in for any reason. I read they also pay all shipping cost.

Yeah real nice.'Look what I got...they're discontinued'

Nice guy lol

Leupold is the number one scope in the military and I know that first hand. ACOG is the second.

I like the PST 1-4 and is uselful to 500 meters and for the money it is the best choice. I think they have the best customer service in the optics industry and Nikon is the worst. I have used many warranties and again for the money I would choose the PST. I have 2 1-4's and they are outstanding for the money. I like them much better than my ACOGS.

Just an opinion though. Optics are a personal choice and a money choice but customer service is important as well.

Plus everybody's eyes are different and 10 people looking through a Zeiss will give 10 different reviews..........

Good luck with what ever you choose.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top