JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Whats the best way to clean inside the upper receiver especially the area where the gas tube protrudes?
Also, whats the best way to clean the chamber? I have a chamber brush but it mostly gets stuck in there, cant rotate it to scrub, when I yank it out it wrecks the bristles...

Whats the best way to clean inside the bolt carrier (bolt removed)?

Breakfree, pipe cleaners, USGI nylon bristle cleaning brush, 1" cloth bore patches w/cleaning rod, some clean rags, and break that chamber brush in... it'll work. ;)
will get, will get, check, check, check.... How do you get that chamber brush to rotate? I put it on my cleaning rod and it spins like a cleaning rod should. I shove it in it gets stuck, takes a lot to pull back out.

this was brand new...
chamber brush_20170116_21:00:56.jpg

HA!! That still looks brand-new! ;)

You have to "screw" it in using a "fixed" T-handle cleaning rod while rotating it clockwise (direction of the rod threads), and once bottomed out keep rotating it around clockwise to scrub at the carbon build-up. It'll break-in and loosen up a bit and the lug portion of the brush will look a bit banged up but don't worry about it.

The main purpose of the chamber brush is to break up & loosen carbon deposits (duh), and you can also use each end of the USGI nylon "tooth brush" to work on those lugs as well. Then you use cleaning patches and Breakfree to swab out the lugs, chamber, and bore until the patches come out "clean".

I use a cleaning patch over the bristles on the large end of the USGI "toothbrush" to clean the walls of the upper and the harging handle channel.

Hope that helps. ;)

thank you I'll give that a try next time I need to do something about the cleaning rod handle spinning though. I was surprised the chamber brush was such a tight fit so much that the bristles bent and collapsed after just a few tries. Its a brush, not a scrubber...
Was assuming I was doing something wrong, looks like a little ingenuity is all thats needed Im on the right path.

Yea, don't just pull it straight out after you've shoved it in (giggity), twist it while slowly removing it.
You should try a good/new stainless steel chamber brush on a revolver.. now that's tight and there's no backing out halfway and or without twisting.

As a long time shooter I had several cleaning rods around and just attached the chamber
brush to one of the handles. I then crimped the handle end with some vice grips.:eek:

I also find wooden chop sticks handy for pushing out pins without marring the finish.:)

Thanks for the link, I need to check out all the options out there and get something soon, I dont want to keep neglecting the chamber area...

This can be neglected for a long long time without consequences.

BTW my chamber brush looked exactly the same. But think, if it is too small it won't get back into the crannys. I use a pistol rod for mine.

CLP is all I use for cleaning. It breaks up the carbon, oil, etc, and comes out with a rag and some patches. No need to lube agin afterwards cuz it's already been done. Same with the inside of the bolt carrier. Although I do like to use some synthetic on the firing pin and instead of grease on the bolt carrier just another heavy spray of CLP before and after shooting. (It's so much easier to clean up than wagon wheel grease. ;))

Last Edited:
Although I do like to use some synthetic on the firing pin and instead of grease on the bolt carrier just another heavy spray of CLP before and after shooting. (It's so much easier to clean up than wagon wheel grease. ;))
Ive heard somewhere to use grease, I have some but don't know where to use it other than the sear I think.
My experience with using grease to lube guns wasn't positive, I tried some once on the slides of a 1911 and hated cleanup after a shooting session. Gun oil gets dirty, but stays wet and easy to wipe off and away with solvent. Id rather use oil or CLP Breakfree ( I need to try that Ive just been using ol Hopps 9 or Marvel Mystery Oil actually)

I'm also looking for tips on cleaning the gas tube...? does it need it, how to, and how often? What about the gas block?

Ive heard somewhere to use grease, I have some but don't know where to use it other than the sear I think.
My experience with using grease to lube guns wasn't positive, I tried some once on the slides of a 1911 and hated cleanup after a shooting session. Gun oil gets dirty, but stays wet and easy to wipe off and away with solvent. Id rather use oil or CLP Breakfree ( I need to try that Ive just been using ol Hopps 9 or Marvel Mystery Oil actually)

I wouldn't use grease in the trigger group. It collects dirt just like oil does. AR is a dirty running firearm. I prefer silicone based lubes that don't gum up after awhile. On the slide of a 1911, they are magic.

Yes, the instructions say to use grease on the contact areas of the bolt carrier... If you look inside you can see where it runs. I've used it and don't like it but some folks swear by it. CLP is sooooo much easier to clean up. I just don't try to run the AR without lubing it before I go out, just like a 1911. They like to run wet or run with grease... they won't run if you have them dry.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top