JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In progress

I put this cheat sheet together so AR based firearm classification could be more easily identified, regardless of the build stage the firearm is in, for transfer purposes. From lower receiver to complete firearm, I tried to include every conceivable stage. If I missed some let me know. This is not legal advice and if you disagree with my view on a classification, please share your view and provide links to BATF info backing up your view. I am open to changing my view on classification based on BATF info supporting it.

Section 1 Receiver: All of these configurations below would be classified as an "Other" on Question 16 of form 4473 (receiver).

20200620_102052.jpg
20200620_102111.jpg
20200620_102131.jpg
20200620_095307.jpg 20200620_095217.jpg 20200620_103009.jpg

Section 2 Long Gun: The photos below would be classified as a Long Gun on question 16 of form 4473(rifle or shotgun).

20200620_094818.jpg

20200620_100221.jpg

Attaching the .410 shotgun upper below to a lower with rifle stock would make a shotgun

ar-410-complete-upper-7.jpg

This is a short barreled rifle with less than 16 inch barrel and rifle stock.

colt sbr.jpg

Section 3 Handgun: The following would be classified as a Handgun on question 16 of form 4473.

20200620_100020.jpg

Section 4 Other Firearms: My views on these will be the most controversial but they would be a functional firearm in their depicted configuration and would not be a hand gun or long gun as defined by BATF so I would classify them as Other on question 16 of form 4473

20200620_095936.jpg

The upper below would be considered a firearm with the addition of a triggering device, I used the flashlight to depict what a triggering device might look like to make the upper capable of firing a cartridge. By inserting the flashlight inside the BCG and tapping the rear of the flashlight with your hand it would send the firing pin in to the primer and fire the cartridge.

20200620_103427.jpg

20200620_113802.jpg

Last Edited:
Looks good!!
Thanks. I know some FFLs are going to differ from each other on some of these classifications but I was trying to base my view on the available BATF info out there and/or how a majority of FFLs would handle each configuration. I realize some of these configurations will probably not be presented to FFLs like I depicted but they could....

Assuming it has a pistol grip and rifled barrel it would be a handgun. Barrel length would make no difference in classification, imho.

Pistol grip - the only diff between this config and a rifle would be the brace or lack of a rifle stock. But I have seen some posts where I felt like someone was saying this would be a rifle once the barrel went past 16" and the OAL was longer than 26". I don't necessarily see how that could be.

Pistol grip - the only diff between this config and a rifle would be the brace or lack of a rifle stock. But I have seen some posts where I felt like someone was saying this would be a rifle once the barrel went past 16" and the OAL was longer than 26". I don't necessarily see how that could be.
A rifle requires a stock. I have not found any batf info suggesting there is a maximum length for a pistol barrel.

If you add a vertical fore-grip to the mix that will raise some other classification issues that I did not address in this cheat sheet: The 26 inch measurement would come in to play when adding a vertical fore-grip: This page has some info on that:

Yeah, I was aware of the foregrip issues. Not an issue for me - don't want to go the AOW route. I have an upper with that 14.5" barrel and 1.5" flash hider. Just want to make sure that if I put a brace on it, that it is still a pistol and can be legally concealed while loaded.

Yeah, I was aware of the foregrip issues. Not an issue for me - don't want to go the AOW route. I have an upper with that 14.5" barrel and 1.5" flash hider. Just want to make sure that if I put a brace on it, that it is still a pistol and can be legally concealed while loaded.
You should be good for now but who knows if this pistol brace dust up with the BATF is going to amount to anything. Some of the pistol braces are so close to rifle stocks in function that I could see the BATF rewriting the rules to prohibit them.

A rifle requires a stock. I have not found any batf info suggesting there is a maximum length for a pistol barrel.
You say a rifle requires a stock yet picture a receiver with a stock attached, and it's somehow a receiver?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top