JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I find that the Stag Super Varminter has a Nato chamber whereas the RRA Varmint had the Wylde chamber. The RRA is about $300 more in cost. Question: is the RRA more accurate than the Stag since the Wylde chamber is suppose to be tighter tolerances than the Nato chamber? Anyone shoot both of these rifles for comparison?

The Wylde will most likely be more accurate. I have a several guns with the Wylde and one with the NATO 5.56 chamber. Though not a true apples to apples comparison....The Wylde chamber seems to have a noticable edge in accuracy.

The other thing I find interesting (probably marketing) is that Stag claims 1/2 MOA with the Nato chamber with the Varmint rifle and RRA claims 3/4 with the Wylde chamber in the varmint rifle? If the Stag/nato truly does shoot as well or better than the RRA, I might as well save the $300. But if not true, I'll spend the extra for the more accurate rifle. Maybe it has something to do with the 24" barrel which is the only option with Stag - I doubt a .223 requires a 24" barrel to be accurate though.

I have a Rock River varmint barrel that has seen thousands of rounds down it. It still shoots 1/2 MOA with match ammo or handloads....when I do my part. When it gets shot out I will replace it with the same barrel.
Barrel lenght has nothing to do with accuracy. A 20" barrel is plenty for a .223. The longer barrels don't gain much velocity for the increase in weight.

a stag "NATO" chamber, isn't. that's why.

i only do NATO and Wylde chambers- NATO is CL CMV barrels and Wylde in stainless- naturally, the stainless/wylde barrels are more accurate.

a stag "NATO" chamber, isn't. that's why.

i only do NATO and Wylde chambers- NATO is CL CMV barrels and Wylde in stainless- naturally, the stainless/wylde barrels are more accurate.
I am a noob to AR rifles bkb0000 so maybe that is why I did not understand either of your comments? This statement "a stag "NATO" chamber, isn't. that's why." went right over my head. The Stag web site states "Nato chamber, Stainless barrel." Maybe you could elaborate?

It's not actually a 5.56 NATO chamber. That's why places like Brownells sells so many chamber gauges and reamers.

Just like the term "Milspec", it's just a lie.

well said.

in a nutshell, op, stag is known for tighter headspace. a lot of commercial-only manufacturers ream tight and claim NATO, because a tighter headspace equals improved accuracy in a side by side comparison of two otherwise equal barrels. since most commercial users dont push their weapons, and usually fire SAAMI-pressure ammo, it generally works out fine. but once you up the chamber pressure, and maybe throw a little port-erosion on, you'll start to get stuck cases/torn rims/short stroking, etc.

stag does a lot of things really well, but barrels just aren't one of 'em.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top